help me move to unraid!

Hi folks,

Apologies, this will be rather long.

I am looking for help with two specific questions:

-am i a candidate/does it make sense to consolidate onto a single machine, Gaming/NAS combo? if so, what can i use from my old computers to limit what i need to spend?

-if it makes sense to keep using two machines, i would love some help configuring an unraid system with around 16tb of storage that can handle 4 simultaneous plex transcodes, SAB, sickrage, teamspeak

Here i will list the components i currently have that i think may be able to be used in the future, if it makes sense:

My existing nas contains the following:

intel e6700 cpu on eva nforce mobo

4gb ram

6tb usable space over 8 drives

areca 1222 card with 512mb cache currently in raid 6

My existing gaming machine contains the following:

intel 3930k c1 (no vt-d support) in Asus p9x79 deluxe board

16gb ram

240gb SSD

dual 580gtx cards

I am excited to make the move to unraid6 to manage my storage needs.  What would you the experts suggest someone like myself do? Thanks in advance!

Unfortunately without VT-d support on your existing gaming machine you really can't use much of that hardware to build a combo NAS/gaming machine.  Also, if you really want to be able to transcode 4 simultaneous Plex streams you will need a lot of CPU - so if you want a single machine it would have to be an all new and really big machine.  You might want to check on some of the E5 Xeon build threads - there are some interesting options using both new E5's and older eBay E5's, potentially in a dual CPU configuration.

That said, if you just want to stay with two machines the general rule of thumb is 2,000 Passmarks per 1080p transcoding stream.  Personally I like to recommend that for a Plex transcoding unRAID setup that you start with a 4,000 Passmark CPU for unRAID and a single 1080p stream and then add an additional 2,000 Passmarks for each additional 1080p stream.  So you'd be trying to get up in the range of 10,000 Passmarks for 4 1080p streams.  Beyond that 8GB RAM is fine for your requirements but I'd go with 16GB if you can - why not?  Also don't forget an SSD for a cache/application drive.

If that sounds like too much then take another look at your transcoding needs.  The true CPU needs for transcoding vary widely off that rule of thumb based on the format of your media and the capabilities of your players.  You could get away with less than 10,000 Passmarks if your media is already compressed H.264 encoded or you have reasonably capable players, etc.

Thanks thats basically the push i needed over the edge to suck it up and maintain a two machine system for the time being.  I have worked through a build located here: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/xJF8QV

Any concerns you see there? I already have an ICY dock 5 in 3 that i will put into that case for hot swap ability. I can't justify spending hundreds on a case for something like this.  The seagate 8TB archive drives are slightly cheaper, what is the consensus on here on archive vs nas disks?

Thanks again!

Nice looking build.  Just a few comments.  Liquid cooling typically isn't necessary for unRAID. Will that case provide you with the disk capacity you want?  I guess it will if you have 5 hot swap and 3 internal...  I agree there's no need to spend hundreds on a case but make sure you get a good one - it will last longer than any other component.  I've been looking at the Fractal Design Define R5 for my next build and have always had good luck with Antec and Lian Li.

Folks are using both the Seagate archive drives and NAS drives for unRAID, with equal success.  Take a look through this thread.  FYI, 7200 RPM drives are not usually required for a media server - the NAS drives in the 5400-5900 RPM range are fine.