FS: SuperMicro MBD-X10SLM-F-O (Brand New)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813182820

Long story short.  The C224 chipset (as I understand it) supports Vt-d only through the CPU's PCH.  For instance, if you use a Xeon E3-12xx series (that supports Vt-d) the PCIe slots in this will support Vt-d (needed for passthrough) IF that PCIe card is occupying a slot controlled by the CPU (PCH) and not the chipset itself.

This may be right, it may be wrong, I have not found a definitive answer (I do know that the PCIe slots controlled by the CPU's PCH on this WILL support Vt-d, mostly confirmed by the Vt-d BIOS option, that's for certain).  But, therein lies the confusion, because, I have yet to receive an email back from SuperMicro as to WHICH slots on this board are controlled by the CPU (PCH) and which are controlled by the C224 chipset.  Because I didn't have the patience (or time) to wait for them, I got an ASRock C226 WS+ to replace it.  I had thought about returning it, but, with a 15% "restocking fee" (for $27, I'll place it back on their warehouse shelves) AND the $17 to ship it there (with insurance and signature confirmation), I'd be out $44 for no real reason, only for them to resell it at full price ($180) since it is new and unopened!  Seems a crime, when I figured maybe someone here was doing a new 1150 build and could use it for less.

So $179.99 - $27 = $152.99 - $8.50 (I'll eat half of what it would have taken to get it to them) = $144.49 your price, plus shipping to you and PP fees.

No rush to sell, I refuse to pay restocking fees and shipping fees, as someday I may find a use for it (a third unRAID maybe? <grin>)  So price is firm and I believe fair considering.  Will ship ONLY to a CONFIRMED address with a VERIFIED account and only in US (sorry International gang, too many idiots ruined it for you - the non-idiots).

SuperMicro responded.  Here is a copy/paste of the email:

BIOS and board supports Intel Vt-d.

It’s only supported for PCH within C224 chipset.

Best regards,

Milton
Super Micro Technical Support

I've replied to that response inquiring which PCIe slots on this motherboard were controlled by the PCH (built into CPU).  I already know that it requires a C222 or C226 chipset to passthrough onboard video (or so is my understanding).

As aforementioned, I asked a question, here is how I worded it:

That begs the question.  WHICH slots on that board are being controlled by the PCH and which are controlled by the C224 chipset?

Thank you for your response, I look forward to the next one.

His reply was:

Don’t understand your question.  Only 1 PCIe Gen 2 slot  is available on PCH.

Gen 3 slots are in CPU.

I can see why he didn't understand the question, as the PCH is the C224 chipset.  I was under the impression that in the Xeon E3-1240v3 the PCH was in the CPU itself.  I read some wrong information on the ole 'Net it would seem.

So it seems, in the case of this particular motherboard, the: x16 slot (running at x8) and the x8 slot are Gen3 (aka 3.0), thus are controlled by the CPU.  The x8 slot (running at x4) is controlled by the C224 chipset.  It is THAT slot (if I'm understanding him correctly, I've asked to verify my line of understanding) that is NOT Vt-d compliant/compatible.

I still desire at least three Vt-d slots (I think? seems I now have to reteach myself all that I thought I had learned), so, at least at this time, the motherboard is still for sale.  Besides, I already opened up the ASRock, placed the CPU, memory, etc.  And I'm sure my wife really wouldn't appreciate me feeling the need to turn a motherboard laying around into something. <grin>

I'll post with the next reply from Milton.  Kudos to him/SuperMicro for their fast responses.

Yes, that’s correct. SR-IOV is not supported though.

Confirmation from Milton Cai at SuperMicro, that in the case of the MBD-X10SLM-F-O, the v2.0 x8 slot (running at x4) is NOT Vt-d compliant and the C224 chipset does NOT support SR-IOV.

For an explanation as to what SR-IOV is:

http://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-51/topic/com.vmware.vsphere.networking.doc/GUID-CC021803-30EA-444D-BCBE-618E0D836B9F.html

Was the most layman termed page I could find within 10 seconds (because I'm heading out to a client).