upgrade from 4GB RAM to 8 GB or 16GB ?

Are there any benefits upgrading my RAM to 8 or 16GB ?

Giving the OS more "headroom" for its internal buffers, etc. is always a benefit ... but this is somewhat offset by the higher power consumption of the additional RAM, so you need to consider what else your system is doing.

... in your case:

I don't use plugins. I use unraid only for data storing (blu-ray en backups)

So there's little benefit to adding the RAM at this point UNLESS you plan to use Docker plugins or want to experiment with virtualization.

If you're not using Docker or any VM's, the only notable benefit your system would gain is more buffer space.  This may provide a marginal gain in parity check and disk rebuild speeds ... but quite candidly it's unlikely you'd notice this.

If you're definitely not going to add any additional functions to the server, and just use it as a pure NAS (as you do now); then the 4GB you have already is fine.

I started with 2 GB of RAM then after about 6 months decided to start using plugins and bought 16 GB of RAM. Now I am starting to dive into the world of virtual machines and I am guessing that +32 GB of RAM might be considered in the future...

With that said, I would also get as much as you can afford.

However, since you are only using unRAID as storage, you will not see any performance increase in transfer speeds because you upgraded from 4 GB to 8/16 GB. If you have no plans of using plugins or vm's currently, I would just hold off on buying more RAM.

OK, I'll stick with the 4 GB RAM then. Indeed I only use my Unraid server as a big NAS. It's not even 24/24 on. Only when I watch blu-ray movies and copy a backup image to the server.

I've other NAS devices (QNAP and Synology) for more functions and 24/24 online.

OK, I'll stick with the 4 GB RAM then. Indeed I only use my Unraid server as a big NAS. It's not even 24/24 on. Only when I watch blu-ray movies and copy a backup image to the server.

I've other NAS devices (QNAP and Synology) for more functions and 24/24 online.

Agree.  As I noted earlier, if you're simply using UnRAID as a NAS, 4GB is plenty.  Even if you were running it 24/7 it'd still be plenty of memory for just the basic NAS functionality.