Sharkoon Rebel 22

The Sharkoon Rebel 22 is a combination of my previous two builds -- the Antec Sixteen Hundred (June 2009) and the Sharkoon Rebel 18 (August 2010).

I took the innards from the Antec and put them in the Sharkoon, increasing the capacity by 4 drives, for a total of 22 drives.

I've included a couple of photos from the initial Sharkoon Rebel 18 build in this post, where applicable.

OS at time of building: unRAID 4.6 Pro

CPU: Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

Motherboard: P5B-VM (not DO)

RAM: 2x 1GB

Case: Sharkoon Rebel 12

Drive Cage(s): 4x Scythe "Hard Disk Stabilizer x4" 4in3 cages

Power Supply: Corsair TX850

SATA Expansion Card(s): 2x Adaptec 1430SA PCI-E, 2x SIL3114 PCI

Cables: Akasa 8 Pin (F) to 8 Pin (2x4 Pin) extension, 2x BitFenix Molex to 4 x SATA Power, 2x 20cm NZXT Black Molex to 4 SATA Power (NZXT are 2x the price, but are better)

Fans: 3x Antec 120mm fans (with 3 position speed switch) at front, 1x temperature controlled Antec 120mm fan at rear

Parity Drive: 2TB Seagate ST32000542AS

Data Drives: 20

2x 2TB Western Digital WD20EARS (jumpered)

2x 1.5TB Seagate ST31500341AS

2x 1TB Western Digital WD10EACS

3x 750GB Western Digital WD7500AAKS

3x 750GB Seagate ST3750640AS

4x 500GB Western Digital WD5000AAKS

2x 500GB Seagate ST3500830AS

2x 500GB Seagate ST3500641AS

Cache Drive: 1x 500GB Western Digital WD50000YS

Total Drive Capacity: 18TB

Primary Use: Only used to store 1:1 Blu-ray rips

Likes: Very cheap system with space for 22 drives -- the Sharkoon case and Scythe 4-in-3s are dirt cheap. The case is very large, which means it's possible to remove the Scythe cages to swap out drives without having to dismantle the fans at the front of the cage, which was impossible to do with the Antec 1200 case.

So far, it's been cool and quiet, but I'll have to see how the cooling works in the summer.

Dislikes: I'm using 2x PCI SATA cards, so parity checks for the first 500GB are slow. If I replace all the 500GB drives, I'll switch to the SuperMicro SASLP card(s).

Add Ons Used: unMENU, cache_dirs, llink

Future Plans: Upgrade drives, then upgrade PCI SATA cards

Boot (peak): 490W

Idle (avg): 120W

Active (avg): 290W (Parity check)

Light use (avg): --

54eh38.jpg

Sharkoon's PR shot of the case

344blhh.jpg

Another Sharkoon PR shot of the case internals.

Note the white cables coming from the front of the case for USB/audio etc.

20l15bc.jpg

Front view

In this shot, note that I've removed the front USB/audio etc. connectors in order to get rid of the unused cables.

2heblec.jpg

Enabling the 12th drive bay.

I popped the rivets holding the case top and removed the 5.25" to 3.5" device adapter. This allows you to mount another 5.25" device, allowing all 12 bays to be used.

24xmb9u.jpg

140mm fan brackets.

The case comes with 1x 140mm fan bracket. I bought another two in order to use all 12 drive bays for hard drives.

QaXgi.png

Case internals.

With a bit of work, I've improved the airflow compared to the Rebel 18. There's little in the way of cable routing available in the motherboard, but I have used what there is.

aeu0xf.jpg

12v motherboard power extension.

This shows where I routed the extension cable.

311uk43.jpg

More cable routing.

2ce2oux.jpg

Rear of case.

Here you can see where some of the cables have gone, and also the two 80mm fans that cool the hard drive cages at the bottom of the case.

fd7fae.jpg

Close up of the 2x 3-drive cages.

14wvqfd.jpg

Powered on.

I do not like flashy blue LEDs -- all you can see when powered on is the hard drive light. The power light should also be lit, but that's not working for some reason (fine by me!)

If you like the Sharkoon Rebel 12, you should be able to pick one up in Europe or Asia (under a different name). Sharkoon may be discontinuing the Rebel 12, so I'd be quick about sourcing one. I think the Scythe 4in3s are also being discontinued, so be quick there too!

Cheers,

Neil.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow that's a mess you have their with Sata Cables, but honestly its 100% better than I could of ever done routing them things around. I can't believe you packed that thing like you did. That's simply awesome.

A mess? That's pretty tidy for me! Now, the Rebel 18 -- that was a mess!

It is stuffed to the gills, and yes, it does weigh a lot. I can lift it, but just not very far...

HI,

got today the icute 18 aka sharkoon 12 in my hands here in Thailand and for only 2900 bath :0

gonna copy your build but with hotswap cages .... and my current other hardware

just might take some time to get the 4 times 5 in 3 hDD cages as they are expencive here in Thailand (6350 bath for  ICYDOCK MB455SPF-B)

still looking for a cheaper brand ....

will need to saw out the plastic on top though ... to put a 5 in 3

anyway happy i got the big case now

will take pictures while building :)

HI,

got today the icute 18 aka sharkoon 12 in my hands here in Thailand and for only 2900 bath :0

gonna copy your build but with hotswap cages .... and my current other hardware

just might take some time to get the 4 times 5 in 3 hDD cages as they are

That'd be a Rebel 26, then! Or an iCute 26...

Sorry I what I was trying to say is that's a mess of wires. Stupid slang, when I was trying to say that is a lot of wires. As well I didn't want to come across sounding like an ass towards you.

Anyways I still can't believe you packed as much as you did into that case. Any ideas how much is weighs?

Sorry I what I was trying to say is that's a mess of wires. Stupid slang, when I was trying to say that is a lot of wires. As well I didn't want to come across sounding like an ass towards you.

Anyways I still can't believe you packed as much as you did into that case. Any ideas how much is weighs?

Haha! No worries. Actually, I did some guesstimations of weight a few days ago in order to decide on whether to put it on it on a CPU stand with castors to make it easier to move around.

CPU stand

---------

Sharkoon weight = 16kg

Drives =~ 550g (x22 = 12.100kg

Plus other parts

Total weight: ~30kg (66 pounds)

Fellowes stand max = 50lb (22.7kg) |  Premium CPU Stand CRC: 91781

** 9169201: CPU Stand - Graphite

Sharkoon width = 215mm - 8.47"

That a seriously nice cabling job. I'm trying to figure out my server's snake nest. Was there any particular method you used to figure out the best way to bundle the SATA cables?

Oh and sacretagent, check out my DIY 5-in-3 bay discussion in the hardware forum. It might be a good option for you since you mentioned that the bays are hard to come by in Thailand.

That a seriously nice cabling job. I'm trying to figure out my server's snake nest. Was there any particular method you used to figure out the best way to bundle the SATA cables?

Thank you!

Well, if you see the cable mess I created with my first and second server builds, you'll realise that it takes a bit of practice.  ::)

What I did initially was to work out the minimum lengths possible for each group of drives and use the appropriate cable. All cables are locking SATA.

The cables to the top right (going from the motherboard ports to the cages near the top) are extremely short -- I can't remember the exact length, but they are shorter than the 0.45m cables, so maybe 0.3 or 0.25m.

So I have 0.25(ish)m, 0.45m and 1m cables in the build. Having the appropriate length keeps the clutter down.

I ran all the cables first, and worked out which ones could be grouped together. Then I created the curve (you're not supposed to bend SATA cables too tightly) and secured with a cable tie.

All the power cables for the drives in the front 4 cages are connected using Molex -> 4 SATA braided cables (available at Scan or MonoPrice). The Molex is fed through to the back, as you can see in one of the photos. This keeps all the power cables out of the way.

Before doing all this, I read through the entire original "Pimp My Rig" thread, looking for ideas on how to manage cables. I always go for "good enough" -- I've seen much neater work from other people, but this is good enough for me. There's plenty of airflow in the case, and that's the primary goal, as far as I'm concerned.

Cheers!

Neil.

Then I created the curve (you're not supposed to bend SATA cables too tightly) and secured with a cable tie.

You see, 0's are round, so they can flow past a kink in the cable without issue.  But the 1's are pointy, so if there are any kinks in the cable, the 1's will get stuck.

I also recommend you give your cables a good Swedish massage every 6 months to a year to keep them in good health. ;)

And where do you have the pen with Unraid? Which mobo adapter did you use?

I think I'm going to mount the same Unraid Server ;)

I'm using this Super Talent flash drive:

PMOp9.jpg

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/8gb-super-talent-stu8gmab-pico-mini-a-usb-20-30mb-s-blue-pen-drive

It's so small, it's in the back of the machine because it protrudes less than any of the cables.

I did buy a Lycom motherboard USB adapter:

SJxBD.jpg

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/lycom-ub-109-internal-motherboard-header-2x5-pin-usb2-header-to-2-usb-a-type-adapter

But I'm not using it at the moment.

2GB is enough, but 8GB is cheap and leaves room for future expansion and add-ons. Not that I'll ever use anywhere near that, but no harm.

650TX is probably plenty for 5400rpm "Green" drives, but most of my drives are older, 7200rpm models, and there's not much headroom left when you've got 22 drives and they're not all Green.

*Are the 140mm fan brackets from Sharkoon too? Could you give me the model and where you have bought them?

*Do you recomend the Sharkoon Rebel 12 Value?

Rebel 12 Economy:

Fan configuration:

* Front panel: 140 mm fan (optional)

* Side panel: 2x 120 mm fans (optional), 2x 80 mm fans (optional)

* Rear panel: 1x 140 mm fan (optional)

Rebel 12 Value:

Fan configuration:

* Front panel: 140 mm fan (pre-installed)

* Side panel: 250 mm fan (pre-installed), 2x 80 mm fans (optional)

* Rear panel: 1x 140 mm fan (optional)

I don't know if there are other differences between them.

*Are the 140mm fan brackets from Sharkoon too? Could you give me the model and where you have bought them?

*Do you recomend the Sharkoon Rebel 12 Value?

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/sharkoon-rebel-12-fan-frame-%28525-front-bay-frame-mounting-to-hold-a-140mm-or-120mm-fan%29

I went with the Economy because I had lots of spare fans for the front and didn't want to use the fan on the side.

Neilt0, about alternatives for the Scythe "Hard Disk Stabilizer x4" 4in3 cages, I've found these:

http://www.sona.de/.336324928-Chenbro-4---fach-HDD-K%C3%A4fig-Non-HotSwap-f%C3%BCr-SR10769

This includes the fan (I've emailed sona to ask about the fan and if the HDDs cage would fit in our Rebel12)

http://www.sona.de/.1154219972-Chenbro-4---fach-HotSwap-Tray-f%C3%BCr-SR10769

This one doesn't include the fan. I don't know it one fan can be put on back, behind the HDDs.

Finally, my final project is this:

CPU: Athlon II 240e

Motherboard: Asus M4A87TD/USB3

RAM: 2x 2GB Corsair Value 1333

Case: Sharkoon Rebel 12 Value

Drive Cage(s): 4x Scythe "Hard Disk Stabilizer x4" 4in3 cages (or Chenbro 4 x 3.5)

Power Supply: Corsair TX650

SATA Expansion Card(s): Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Fans: 3x Scythe 120mm fans at front, 2x Tacens Aura II 80mm

Unraid USB: 4G Talent Pico

Neilt0, about alternatives for the Scythe "Hard Disk Stabilizer x4" 4in3 cages, I've found these:

http://www.sona.de/.336324928-Chenbro-4---fach-HDD-K%C3%A4fig-Non-HotSwap-f%C3%BCr-SR10769

This includes the fan (I've emailed sona to ask about the fan and if the HDDs cage would fit in our Rebel12)

http://www.sona.de/.1154219972-Chenbro-4---fach-HotSwap-Tray-f%C3%BCr-SR10769

Nice. I've seen case-specific cages from other manufacturers that don't work in other types of case, so it would be interesting to find out if these are generic -- they look to be good value.

neilt0 -

Looking at your build with interest.  Wondering if I can adapt to my needs.  I already have 2x SuperMicro CSE-M35T which I would use (+ get 2 more) to work with the Sharkoon Rebel 12 case.  This would allow up to 26 drives, although I'd likely just use 2 internal slots (I only have 22 ports right now).

Do you think that the CSE-M35T would fit.  They are deeper than the 4in3 units you have used (see link below), becuase they include a fan cage on the inside of the case.  In the picture it is not clear whether there is sufficient clearance for the fan housing to slide back without hitting the motherboard.  The fact that the fans are in the rear should allow the cages to be able to slide forward to mount closer to the front of the case since I won't have the 140mm fans mounted.  Does this seem workable?

Here is a link to the CSE-M35T.  Note that the cage is 9.7" deep with fan cage installed.

Do you think these cages will work well with this case?