darkside40's first build (Update 05.12.2013)

Hi there,

after years of burning thousands of DVD's and the build of a HTPC for my living room i was searching for a solution to free me from the hard time as DJ when i wanted to watch a movie.

WHS was no solution for me, drive extender is just a waste of space, and last but not least it is a M$ Product.

Amahi is Linux and implements Greyhole, which is also a waste of disc space.

So i came along to unRaid, and after reading some time here in the forum i decided to build my own Rig.

And here i am.

Mainly this unRaid Server should be used to hold the Media Files for my Media Portal HTPC in the living room, but another HTPC in the bed room is already planed. Also i want to backup my Mac's to the unRaid Server. It will not run 24/7 but is intendend to boot via WOL when it is needed and power down after 1-2 hours idle.

Because i dont know what future will bring i have chosen a little bit more powerful CPU.

I just ordered all the parts, hop i get everything next week, especially the HDD's have a fairly log delivery time, here in Germany.

Also my Server is intended to need as less power as possible, because electrical energy is expensive in Germany ;)

OS at time of building: 5.0-beta6a

CPU: AMD Athlon II X2 240e (45W TDP, will try to undervolt and underclock it to save power)

Motherboard: Asus M4A78LT-M

RAM: 2GB KINGSTON CL9 ValueRAM PC3-10666

Case: Sharkoon Rebel 9 Economy (found on the attic)

Drive Cage(s): None, until i don't have at least 5 Drives mounted

Power Supply: Super-Flower SF450P14XE Golden Green Pro (450W, 37A/12V Single Rail design, 80+ Gold)

SATA Expansion Card: None, until i dont have at least 7 Drives

Cables: Plain normal Sata Cables 50cm with Clip

Fans: 3x Coolink SWiF-1200 800rpm (placed in front of the Drives, starting with 2, no. 3 gets mounted when needed)

Parity Drive: 2TB Hitachi 5K3000

Data Drives: 2x 2TB Hitachi 5K3000

Cache Drive: none

Total Drive Capacity: 4TB

Primary Use: Media Storage, Backup, maybe Couchpotato etc.

Dislikes: This damn bright blue Power LED, illuminates a whole room in the night

Add Ons Used: unMenu, S3.sh

Future Plans: Couchpotato etc. till now i use a Dockstar for things like this

B5ais.jpg

2znEB.jpg

Boot (peak): 90W

Idle (avg): 53W (all disks spun up) / 42W (all disks spun down)

Active (avg): 63W (while preclearing 3 disks)

Light use (avg): tbm

Sleep S3: 2,5W

*tbm = to be measured

Measured with a Profitech KD302

Updates:

28.04.2011:

The 450W 80+ Gold Super Flower Power Supply has arrived. Sorry for the bad photo but i just had my iPhone reachable.

0s0k7.jpg

09.05.2011:

Preclearing the 3x 2TB Hitachi Drives took me approx 25 hours and was finished at 1am, but i was too tired to build the array.

I think today i will start the array and mount the HDD from my HTPC in the unRaid Server just for initial copying.

Also i think i will switch to the newer unRaid beta because of Cool'n'Quiet

10.05.2011:

Done the first inital copy with approx. 45MB/s, now the server is building the parity. The HDD's don't automatically spin down till now, but i think i have found a fix for that at the forum, hopefully the S3 Script will also work then.

15.05.2011:

Today i had enough time to improve the wireworks. WOL works now perfect with my Media Portal HTPC, also the S3 script works flawless. Only thing i have to figure out now is how to get Cool'n'Quiet up and running. I have my small problems with it.

• Like 1

Hi Rajahal,

thanks for your reply.

That the controller Card might not be working would be okay for me in short Term, i mean with 2TB Drives and 6 Sata Ports i could store 10TB of Data, i think that would be okay for the next two years.

But are you sure that we are talking about the same Motherboard?

I mean i will use a M4A78LT-M, the thread you linked was about a M4A785-M. Or is that a general Problem of this Asus/Supermicro constallation.

I would have liked to get one of the Biostar Boards you recommended, but there is no way getting it here in Germany.

I hate waiting.

All parts are already at my dealer, except for the HItachi Drives, and without them there is no need start buidling the server.

Because of my impatience i already gave the inner of the Sharkoon case a new black finishing.

Edit:

Lost my OCZ Rally II i wanted to use with the Server, now i got a 4GB Transcend Jetflash 500, hopefully it works out well.

Okay Server is running, it is preclearing the disks since last midnight.

Each disk has a calculated write speed of around 100 MB/s, is that a good value?

I will also post the first power consumption measurements today and will try to make photos.

Just one question, is Cool'n'Quiet used by unRaid?

Okay i think that means that i have to go for the 5.0-beta6a to use C'n'Q, right?

I just precleared the disks yesterday and did everything like in the Tutorial in the Wiki http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php?title=Configuration_Tutorial#Preclearing_With_Screen .

Till now i didnt set up the Array (was too late yesterday)

So an Update from 4.7  should be no problem, right? Or do i have to do something previously, like uninstalling unMenu?

Okay i think that means that i have to go for the 5.0-beta6a to use C'n'Q, right?

I just precleared the disks yesterday and did everything like in the Tutorial in the Wiki http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php?title=Configuration_Tutorial#Preclearing_With_Screen .

Till now i didnt set up the Array (was too late yesterday)

So an Update from 4.7  should be no problem, right? Or do i have to do something previously, like uninstalling unMenu?

read through the thread in the General Support forum, and in the Announcement forum.  There are upgrade instructions in there on how to update.

• 2 years later...

So after a long time an Update to that post with the current Configuration of my unRaid machine before it gets an Intel Haswell update in the next days.

Current Config:

OS at time of building: 5.0

CPU: AMD Athlon II X2 240e

Motherboard: Asus M4A78LT-M

RAM: 4GB KINGSTON CL9 ValueRAM PC3-10666

Case: Sharkoon Rebel 9 Economy, now mounted in a DIY Rack

Drive Cage(s): 1x IcyDock MB-455SPF (Data Drives), 1x IcyDock MB-876SK-B (Parity Drive)

Power Supply: Super-Flower SF450P14XE Golden Green Pro (450W, 37A/12V Single Rail design, 80+ Gold)

SATA Expansion Card: Cheap Asmedia 1061 for the 2,5" Cache drive

Cables: Plain normal Sata Cables 50cm with Clip

Fans: 1x Sharkoon Silent Eagle 1000 front, 1x Sharkoon Silent Eagle 1000 back

Parity Drive: 3TB Seagate Barracuda ST3000DM001

Data Drives: 4x 2TB Hitachi 5K3000, 1x Western Digital WD20EARX

Cache Drive: 1x 250GB Hitachi (2,5")

Total Array Capacity: 10TB

Boot (peak): 137W

Idle (avg): 53W (all disks spun down)

Active (avg): 80W (while parity check)

Sleep S3: 1,4W