Need future proof MB / CPU suggestions

I built my current unraid box back in 2011, and has served me well. I'm moving towards using Plex, though, to stream content to the various devices in my apartment and the current CPU is probably not up to the task.

Current system:

M/B: ASUSTeK Computer INC. - M4A785T-M

CPU: AMD Sempron 140 @ 2700

Memory: 2048 MB (max. installable capacity 16 GB)

I haven't used Plex before, though, so I'm not 100% sure as to what types of requirements it needs. I will at most be streaming to 2-3 devices simultaneously. I won't be doing anything more resource heavy on the server than this, though (i.e. no VMs or anything else).

I know I could just upgrade the CPU, but I'd like to get a new mobo with at least 8, preferably 10+, sata ports to future proof myself a bit. Hoping to put something together that will last another 4+ yrs, as I've gotten out of this current setup.

Ultimately I want to do a full overhaul, with this being the first step (I'm also currently swapping out my 2TB eco greens for newer drives). As far as mobos go, smaller is better as I'd like to move away from a full tower at some point.

I've read through a number of similar threads here so far, but the CPUs / Mobos suggested are a bit on the high side for my current price range (i.e. $250-$300+ a piece is beyond what I can currently pay considering I also need to replace at least 1 HDD as it's on its last legs).

I'm also going to recycle some RAM from another system, which is non-ECC RAM.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

With your budgetary restrictions and the desire to stay with your current memory, it's probably best to simply upgrade your CPU.  The Sempron 140 only scores 742 on PassMark.    Your can easily triple this performance with a Phenom II X2 or quadruple (or better) it with a Phenom II X3 or X4.

For example, this X3-740 scores 3043 on PassMark (more than 4 times your Sempron) for under $100

http://www.amazon.com/AMD-Phenom-Edition-3x512KB-Triple-Core/dp/B004WSFV14

I don't mind spending $400-$500 on a CPU / mobo combo, I just don't want to add another $150 on top of that for RAM seeing as I have 16GB of DDR3 laying around after another recent system upgrade. I'm out of SATA ports at this point, which is also partly why I'm looking for upgrading the mobo as well (instead of just delaying the inevitable by getting PCI expansion cards). Is there no middle ground?

$400-500 is a reasonable number ... I thought you were trying to limit your expenses to $250-300, and that's simply not enough for a good Haswell setup, which is what I'd recommend you move to.

You have competing goals => 10+ SATA ports while at the same time moving to a smaller case (which likely won't support 10 hard drives).    If 8 drives is enough (with modern high-capacity drives this can be a LOT of storage), the Silverstone DS380 would let you build a very nice mini-ITX setup ... you could buy the mini-ITX motherboard and CPU now, and move to that case later when you have a bit more cash.  [The case plus a good SFX power supply would run ~ $225:  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811163255&cm_re=DS380-_-11-163-255-_-Product ]

If you want a higher drive count, I'd look at a micro-ATX system -- although you could actually defer that choice until later, as a mini-ITX motherboard will work just fine in a micro-ATX case.

This is a nice mini-ITX board for only $110 that provides 6 SATA ports, and you could add a single expansion card when needed to add up to 8 additional ports:  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157504    It doesn't support Xeons, but since you don't want to use ECC RAM it would work very nicely with an i3 or i5 (or even a lower-end Celeron or Pentium) ... depending on just how much "horsepower" you want.

Personally, I'd spring for a i5-4590 so you have vt-d support "just in case" you eventually decide to try I/O pass-through with virtual machines.  It would also give you PLENTY of "horsepower" for multiple Plex streams [scores 7251 on PassMark ... about TEN TIMES your current processor  8)]

8 drives will probably be enough as I switch out my current drives to higher density ones. I would like to add a cache drive right away, though, and I've already maxed out my 6 sata ports, which would mean an expansion card right away (unless you're familiar with a mini-ITX board with 8 sata ports).

How would this route compare with going instead with something like ARock C2750D4I? I know I'd need ECC RAM, and I probably won't ever use all 12 SATA ports, but depending on mobo / cpu choice and after getting an expansion card probably end up around similar price point.

The C2750 is an excellent board => 12 ports; ECC RAM; Intel NIC; and very low power

I didn't mention it because (a) it's $400, and (b) it requires you to buy new RAM

But if you're willing to spring for that, it would do an excellent job.  Compared to the Z97 board with an i5-4590 it uses less power;  costs $90 more PLUS you have to buy RAM (another $90 or more, depending on whether you buy 8GB or 16GB);  and has less power [PassMark 3929 vs. the i5's 7251].    On the other hand, you'd gain ECC memory and not require an add-in card for additional SATA ports (a savings of ~ $40 assuming a 4-port card is all you'd need).

Bottom line:  The Z97 board, i5-4590 combo with a 4-port PCIe x2 card would cost ~ $350 and you could use your current memory;  the C2750 costs ~ $400 plus you'd have to buy ECC RAM.    So the C2750 is about $150-$230 more ... but will use slightly less power (not much, however, as Haswell systems are VERY efficient); and you'd have a free expansion slot in case you ever needed it.

10 SATA ports is a hard ask. 

I have an AsRock C216 WS which has 10 SATAs, 2 NICs, 4 DIMM slots.  It uses Broadcom NICs and AsMedia SATA controllers.  It's Socket 1155, so Sandy and Ivy Bridge.

There's a similar board, the C226 WS which is Haswell compatible and has better Intel NICs and Marvell SATA controllers.  Being Haswell it uses less power. It's a nice board.  http://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=C226%20WS#Specifications

10 SATA ports is a hard ask. 

Especially in a small form factor.  The C2750 is in a class by itself with 12 SATA ports on a mini-ITX board.

The C226 WS is also a very nice board with 10 SATA ports, Intel NICs, and ECC support => but it's a full size ATX board that somewhat defeats the goal of moving to a smaller case.

I'd simply not worry about the on-board SATA complement as long as there are 6.  Then a single add-on card can easily bring you to 10 (with a 4 port card) or 14 (with an 8 port card) total SATA ports => which is certainly enough for what you've detailed.

I have the little Asus Z97 in my LAN Party rig. It's the Z97I-Plus.  I have a 256GB Samsung M.2 SSD in it (slot is on the bottom), which leaves 4 SATA ports.  It's been very stable, I have a Devil's Canyon i5 running at 4.4GHz with a H100i all in a Corsair Obsidian 250D.  There's also a GTX780 and 16GB of Corsair DDR3-1866 RAM in it. 

Sounds like my best option is to go Z97 / i5 setup with an expansion card. Any cards in particular recommended?

Thanks for all the help  :)

I agree that's an excellent choice => plenty of "horsepower" and support plenty of drives.

If 4 ports is enough (seems likely) this card should work fine:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816124060

I have not personally used it, but there are a few builds on this forum using it, so it clearly works with UnRAID.

Alternatively, you could pick up the trusty SuperMicro SAS2LP-MV8, which is used by a lot of folks with UnRAID and would give you 8 additional ports:  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816101792&cm_re=SuperMicro_MV8-_-16-101-792-_-Product

Is there any major benefit of the Z97 over the H97? I know the H97 only has 5 Sata ports, but I'm probably going to go with the 8 port expansion card so the difference between 5 or 6 is almost certainly negligible for my foreseeable future.

No ... the H97 is fine.  In fact, I've used H97 boards for the last 3 PCs I built.

If you're not an overclocker, there's no advantage at all to the Z97.

In fact, if you can find a good deal on the H87 that's also a good board.  The key difference between the '87 and '97 chipsets was the addition of the M2 slot ... if you're not going to use that, the slightly older '87 series boards are a good value.