[Plug-In] Community Applications

This appdata backup feature is very nice. I agree that there isn't a lot of point in backing up the docker.img file but I thought I'd try it anyway! It didn't work, though - presumably because it didn't find my docker.img file. Is it expecting to find it within the appdata folder?

With the 6.2.0-betas there's a specific place where the docker.img file is expected to be by default, namely /mnt/cache/system/docker/docker.img (see Tom's post under the heading Automatic system shares). That's where mine is. Previously, with 6.1.x, its location was /mnt/cache/docker.img so I've never actually kept it inside the appdata folder.

There is no specific place the docker image has to be.  Within the system share is merely a default location.  Not a required or even suggested location.  My docker.ing has always been stored in the root of the cache.

That option does not select to back up the image file or not.  Rather it excludes it if it's in appdata.

I guess I can make that clearer within the settings / manual

But we both agree that it is pointless to back it up anyways

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

Ah! Understood.

This appdata backup feature is very nice. I agree that there isn't a lot of point in backing up the docker.img file but I thought I'd try it anyway! It didn't work, though - presumably because it didn't find my docker.img file. Is it expecting to find it within the appdata folder?

With the 6.2.0-betas there's a specific place where the docker.img file is expected to be by default, namely /mnt/cache/system/docker/docker.img (see Tom's post under the heading Automatic system shares). That's where mine is. Previously, with 6.1.x, its location was /mnt/cache/docker.img so I've never actually kept it inside the appdata folder.

There is no specific place the docker image has to be.  Within the system share is merely a default location.  Not a required or even suggested location.  My docker.ing has always been stored in the root of the cache.

That option does not select to back up the image file or not.  Rather it excludes it if it's in appdata.

I guess I can make that clearer within the settings / manual

But we both agree that it is pointless to back it up anyways

Ah! Understood.

In addition, I'm not even sure its wise to back it up since in this day and age of auto updating applications (which are all going to update when CA restarts them), the image is going to change right away, and depending upon how many auto updates the container did, what's sitting in the backup of docker.img may wind up being completely incompatible with the appdata backup and cause you a world of hurt.

I have thought about pausing the containers instead of stopping them to alleviate this to a certain extent, but a pause necessitates that the rest of the system (ie: downloads if stored outside of the appdata, the media folders, etc) all have to match 100% upon a successful restore (odds being nil of this happening)

That's exactly what it is.  The appdata folder exists somewhere on the array itself (user0)

So it is. What would be the proper way to rectify this? Just move any content out of the appdata folders under user and/or user0 into the /mnt/cache/appdata folder and delete the root appdata directories from user and user0?

I must not have something set up right in UnRAID in the first place as even folders that I had explicitly created on the cache drive under /mnt/cache are showing up in the /mnt/user (or user0) folder. These are folders that I SSH into the machine and created with mkdir under /mnt/cache. Could this be because I have disk shares turned on?

Anybody have any other ideas for the next module?  (app related ideally)

Untitled_zpsvbtiarce.png

I'm sure someone is going to give me flack about flagging CA and dynamix webUI as errors if they don't autoupdate, but since they both can affect the app experience, I believe its justified.

Anybody have any other ideas for the next module?  (app related ideally)

Untitled_zpsvbtiarce.png

I'm sure someone is going to give me flack about flagging CA and dynamix webUI as errors if they don't autoupdate, but since they both can affect the app experience, I believe its justified.

I responded privately, but I'm not sure that others recognized the significance of Squid's idea here.  Those of you who take the time to help others will appreciate how useful this could be, and probably have additional ideas of things to check for.  Here's a few that I suggested, listed again just to spark some more of your ideas -

Great idea!  Probably lots of common mistakes to check, such as -

* Path is set to /mnt/user/blahblah, should be /mnt/cache/blahblah

* docker.img is not in a Cache-only share

* docker.img is nearly full

* /var/log is nearly full

* Cache drive is nearly full, or near or over the Cache floor setting?

* Found "ata_piix" in your syslog, that usually means you haven't set SATA mode in BIOS to AHCI

* Not updated to latest stable version

* Not set to check for updates

* Notifications not turned on?  (shouldn't they be?)

* Share names that match, because of mixed case (Appdata/appdata, etc)

* Empty DNS settings

Some aren't actually fixes, more like recommendations, don't know if you want to go there, perhaps a separate section.  And I know Squid was going first for app and share related fixes, but why stop there?  This could be the start of a great and comprehensive diagnostic tool.

And I know Squid was going first for app and share related fixes, but why stop there?  This could be the start of a great and comprehensive diagnostic tool.

Agree 100%, this sort of diagnostic could prevent a lot of problems.  Thanks for starting this Squid!

It's already progressed enough that it'll be a separate plugin.  As usual for me there will be a flurry of updates as things progress. 

Initial release (tonight or tomorrow) will have what I had in my initial screen shot along with checks for read only file systems and scheduled checks for all this in the background.

The only caveat is that if I can't simulate a problem on my servers without messing them up permanently I can't include it.  That being said I am perfectly willing to accept anybody's perfectly functioning server (fully loaded of course)  ????

It's already progressed enough that it'll be a separate plugin.  As usual for me there will be a flurry of updates as things progress. 

Initial release (tonight or tomorrow) will have what I had in my initial screen shot along with checks for read only file systems and scheduled checks for all this in the background.

The only caveat is that if I can't simulate a problem on my servers without messing them up permanently I can't include it.  That being said I am perfectly willing to accept anybody's perfectly functioning server (fully loaded of course)  ????

Are you going to call it "Fix Common Problems" when you release it? Just wondering what to search for.

Are you going to call it "Fix Common Problems" when you release it? Just wondering what to search for.

Either that or "My Server Is F*#*#d up"    ;)

Phoque...

Small correction needed in AutoUpdate.page: check if the file README.md exists before (trying) to display its contents or simply ignore the warning; use a '@' before file_get_contents.

I have this error:

Warning: file_get_contents(/usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.n--k.s--s/README.md): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix/include/DefaultPageLayout.php(300) : eval()'d code on line 35

Phoque...

Small correction needed in AutoUpdate.page: check if the file README.md exists before (trying) to display its contents or simply ignore the warning; use a '@' before file_get_contents.

I have this error:

Warning: file_get_contents(/usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.n--k.s--s/README.md): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix/include/DefaultPageLayout.php(300) : eval()'d code on line 35

phoque  Never considered that a plugin wouldn't have a readme.  Curious though, which plugin is the cause.

Never considered that a plugin wouldn't have a readme.  Curious though, which plugin is the cause.

A non-official plugin (WIP for 6.2) ...

I guess its ok for you to violate your own rules  ;)  Have an update for CA anyways once I manage to separate the common problems stuff out of it.

Great idea!  Probably lots of common mistakes to check, such as -

* Path is set to /mnt/user/blahblah, should be /mnt/cache/blahblah

* docker.img is not in a Cache-only share

* docker.img is nearly full

* /var/log is nearly full

* Cache drive is nearly full, or near or over the Cache floor setting?

* Found "ata_piix" in your syslog, that usually means you haven't set SATA mode in BIOS to AHCI

* Not updated to latest stable version

* Not set to check for updates

* Notifications not turned on?  (shouldn't they be?)

* Share names that match, because of mixed case (Appdata/appdata, etc)

* Empty DNS settings

Some of these are already handled via the notification system, (dockerimg full, cache full (I think), log full (I would hope) ), not updated to latest stable is addressed in the next rev of 6.2, but even with a notification, whats missing is a suggested action via this plg.  What I've got to do is get the framework down with the upcoming release and then start adding these (and other items).  My white-board is starting to fill up again...