Anyone here use Unraid Professionally?

dimaestro

Hi.

I have two networks I control. One super protected, one not so much. I've got 2 separate 12tb unraid servers running on supermicro atoms. Not a bad setup, but I need better speed and reliability. So I plan on upgrading.

Right now I'm looking at upgrading the two servers into a single physical, 1 hosted server using a 4 core 8 thread intel CPU, 64 gb ram, 18 sata/sas ports, 16 3.5 inch 5tb platters, 2 1tb cache drives, 4 NICs (2 network 1 management) and a 16gb usb stick to boot off of.

The motherboard  MBD-X11SSH-LN4F-O (i'm not tied to this mobo, but it seems ok) has 10 SAS/SATA ports onboard. What SAS/SATA controller should I be looking at for passthrough? LSI Sas 9211? Or any other suggestions.

What do you use for these massive backups? Right now I have 4 1TB RDX cartridges going to the bank. I expect that I'll need to get at least double that - any suggestions? RDX is great, but the ones I have max out at about 30MBs .. I'm not even sure I have enough hours in the day for a single days backup.

I think you have only a few options, removable hard drive which is similar to what you are using now, or switch to LTO tape. LTO is very expensive but its fast and the latest drive LTO 7 can store 6TB natively on a single tape and a theoretical maximum of 15TB with compression. Its not cheap technology, certainly hard drives are cheaper, but I don't know of any other methods, at least none come to mind.

Ash, Thanks for your reply.

LTO can do handle that much space? Hows the speed on LTO tape. ./me googles on lto7 speed Last LTO tape I used was 320 gb uncompressed. I have about 40 320 gb LTO tapes ready for recycle if you want them

If you had to recover a folder in a mailbox on LTO - how long would it take you?  Right now I'm at 15 to 30 minutes for a single 200 user exchange server.

Keep in mind, I can buy a 1tb RDX cart for 200 bucks. I can store about 20 of them at the bank.

I think you have only a few options, removable hard drive which is similar to what you are using now, or switch to LTO tape. LTO is very expensive but its fast and the latest drive LTO 7 can store 6TB natively on a single tape and a theoretical maximum of 15TB with compression. Its not cheap technology, certainly hard drives are cheaper, but I don't know of any other methods, at least none come to mind.

I can't quote you actual times in terms of how long it will take to restore data, it varies and depends on a lot of factors. Backups are pretty fast, restores are always going to be slower. Your example of restoring a folder in a mailbox only taking 15-20 minutes can depend on how large the users mailbox is, how many items are in the folder etc, so 15-20 min is an arbitrary number, it might look good, but its all relative. LTO is tried tested and proven technology, its not going anywhere and its capacities are only increasing. Its not cheap technology by any stretch, but then how much is your data worth? If you need to backup TB's of data and you want something portable that you can encrypt and won't die if you drop it, LTO is a perfect fit.