SNAP shows USB-drive having no filesystem

Hello.

I installed SNAP. Plugged 5TB USB drive in, and it shows up in SNAP. However, it does not mount, and simply shows as having no filesystem. I moved it to a Windows machine, reformatted NTFS, and still the same thing. I plug it into a Windows machine, it immediately is assigned a drive letter, and I can use the drive, so it works.

I'm trying to use NTFS as I need to then copy files over, move the drive over to a Windows machine for permanent use. Any help?

--
devtype: part
deviceid: wwn-0x5000c5007d0d86e8
event: CREATE
devtype: disk
Error while mounting device.  Don't try to share it.
Error opening partition or maybe no filesystem exists, cannot be mounted for device: /dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST5000DM000-1FK178_W4J09RMG-part1
HOTPLUG(u): ata-ST5000DM000-1FK178_W4J09RMG
deviceid: ata-ST5000DM000-1FK178_W4J09RMG
event: DELETE
HOTPLUG(U): ata-ST5000DM000-1FK178_W4J09RMG
Error while mounting device.  Don't try to share it.
Error opening partition or maybe no filesystem exists, cannot be mounted for device: /dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST5000DM000-1FK178_W4J09RMG-part1
HOTPLUG(u): ata-ST5000DM000-1FK178_W4J09RMG
HOTPLUG(U): ata-ST5000DM000-1FK178_W4J09RMG
Watches established.
Setting up watches.

Thanks.

The NTFS-3G Plugin says

The ntfs-3g driver package is needed for writing on NTFS formated disks. The built in NTFS driver is read only.

so you may want to install it if you haven't already.

How many partitions are on that drive? You can put it back in Windows and use Disk Manager to find out.

You definitely need to have the ntfs-3g driver installed for accessing NTFS formatted drives that are larger than 2TB in size,  I had bed been hoping it would be included as standard, but I do not believe that has happened.

The easiest way to install it is to download it from the slackware packages site (make sure you get the 64-bit version for unRAID v6) and put it into an 'extra' folder on the flash drive (creating it if it does not already exist) and reboot the system as packages in that folder are automatically installed on UnRAID system boot.

You definitely need to have the ntfs-3g driver installed for accessing NTFS formatted drives that are larger than 2TB in size,  I had bed been hoping it would be included as standard, but I do not believe that has happened.

The easiest way to install it is to download it from the slackware packages site (make sure you get the 64-bit version for unRAID v6) and put it into an 'extra' folder on the flash drive (creating it if it does not already exist) and reboot the system as packages in that folder are automatically installed on UnRAID system boot.

The easiest way to install it is just to use dlandon's plugin, which is in the same post as the SNAP plugin.

Thank you for the suggestion, I didn't notice that line in the SNAP setup. I installed it, rebooted just to be safe. The plugin shows up just fine. Same problem in SNAP though. Shows 'NO FS'.

For the moment I figured out how not to use the USB drive on unRAID, so I'll be OK not attaching it to unRAID. I'll just prepare the data I need (~3TB of CrashPlan backups) onto a user share, then pull that data across the network onto the USB drive attached to a Windows computer. Will take a few days longer, but I've spent at least that much trying to get this to work.

• 5 months later...

I'm having exactly the same issue - anyone make any progress with this?

I have installed the latest snap and ntfs-3g x64 plugins...

Note- I can get my 2tb WD passport working fine but my 5tb Toshiba Canvio is having issues with snap

Don't know if it will help, but if you're on v6, the Unassigned Devices plugin is the preferred method of mounting external drives now.