upgraded from 6b12 to 6.0.1 and now my flash drive is blacklisted?

Hey everyone,

like the topic says, I upgraded and now it says my usb flash drive is blacklisted, any suggestions on why this happened or how I can fix this? the pro.key is still in the config file and it worked fine on my current configuration with 3 drives, 1 cache and a parity.

thank you,

EDIT - 07/18/15

Just to warn everyone to avoid any dealings with Albert Hurtado aka Bytesize972 ([email protected]). He scammed me out of server license. Read below for the details if your interested.

Hey everyone,

like the topic says, I upgraded and now it says my usb flash drive is blacklisted, any suggestions on why this happened or how I can fix this? the pro.key is still in the config file and it worked fine on my current configuration with 3 drives, 1 cache and a parity.

thank you,

Most card reader flash devices do not have unique GUIDs needed for unRAID licensing. If you are the 'fortunate' first person to register to use one of these devices, unRAID will generally let you license it. But if another user tries, unRAID detects it is a non-unique GUID and blacklists the device. If you are the person that actually licensed it, you would need to reach out to LimeTech for help transferring your license to another device.

Thanks BJP for the response,

Unfortunately, I bought the license from someone else, so I'm hoping the seller will help me out in this case.

Thanks

Yes, I think you would need the seller's help in this case. Buying and selling of licenses is discouraged and this is a good example of why. Note that the blacklist is different for every release. So whatever release you were using previously will contrive to work just fine.

bjp,

I dunno if this matters or not, but this was a flash drive, not a reader...so in this case it would have a unique GUID.

Unfortunately, I bought the license from someone else, so I'm hoping the seller will help me out in this case.

Thanks

Yes, I think you would need the seller's help in this case. Buying and selling of licenses is discouraged and this is a good example of why. Note that the blacklist is different for every release. So whatever release you were using previously will contrive to work just fine.

bjp,

I dunno if this matters or not, but this was a flash drive, not a reader...so in this case it would have a unique GUID.

Thanks

A possibility (hopefully didn't happen) is that the seller after selling you the flash drive, transferred the registration key to another flash drive which would wind up black listing the one you bought.

bjp,

Thanks

A possibility (hopefully didn't happen) is that the seller after selling you the flash drive, transferred the registration key to another flash drive which would wind up black listing the one you bought.

That's what I was just thinking...is there anything I can do in that case?

bjp,

Thanks

Actually that's not true.    There are several flash drives that also don't have unique GUIDs, and as these are identified, LimeTech adds them to the blacklist in the next release.

bjp,

Thanks

I got an update from Tom, and this is indeed the case. I would suggest to all reading this to not deal with xxxxxx xxxxxxx aka Bytesize972 in any dealings.

Thanks

Edit by LimeTech: sorry, we can't take sides in this.  Please do not post personal info - forum name is fine though.

bjp,

Thanks

I got an update from Tom, and this is indeed the case. I would suggest to all reading this to not deal with xxxxxx xxxxxxx aka Bytesize972 in any dealings.

Thanks

All 9 of that user's posts are in Buy, Sell, Trade.

I noticed that as well.  Clearly not someone I'd want to deal with, given the ethics of his flash drive sale.  I assume he simply thought he could switch to a new drive and get a few $$ for his old one -- not realizing that the swap would result in the old drive being blacklisted.    A clear example of why buying non-transferable keys is simply not a good idea.

You can certainly see the wisdom of LimeTech's policy to only allow one exchange per year. But someone can always abuse the system. I might suggest deleting this thread so as to not give other passed sellers of keys bad ideas, but will leave that to LT if they want to do so.

I wouldn't delete the thread => it's a good example of why NOT to buy keys from others.    As for those who have already sold their keys in the past (I presume that's what you mean), they no longer have the keys, so can't do the automated transfer anyway ... and most probably no longer have the old GUID anyway.  I'd also hope that the vast majority of such sellers have a good ethical compass.

So this person transferred the key BEFORE he sold it, then sold it before the next release of unRAID with updated blacklist? Or did he call Tom and report that the dog ate his thumbdrive and got a new key AFTER he had sold it?

So this person transferred the key BEFORE he sold it, then sold it before the next release of unRAID with updated blacklist? Or did he call Tom and report that the dog ate his thumbdrive and got a new key AFTER he had sold it?

I assume that he sold it with the intention of doing this well after the paypal period of asking for a refund was over. I bought it 12/2014, then tom said he transfered the licence 6/17/2015.

If I could make a suggestion, maybe make a sticky on the b/s/t forum with "traders to avoid" so that this may be avoided next time. some of the b/s/t forums have this already, probably not a bad idea to have one here.

Interesting sequence.    That means your flash drive/key will work fine with v6.0, since it was released before 6/17 ... but not with v6.01, since it was released after the transfer (and thus has the key included in the blacklist).

I don't recommend doing that -- since the first time you used the nifty built-in update feature it would stop working ... just noting that anyone in a similar position could easily have the same potential glitch someday when they simply hit the Update button.

As I noted earlier, yet-another good reason to only buy keys from LimeTech.  Clearly you knew that these were not transferable  [based on your note "... Unfortunately, I bought the license from someone else, so I'm hoping the seller will help me out in this case.]  => but the risk you thought you were taking was whether or not the USB flash drive would fail ... NOT that the seller would try to replace the key and consequently blacklist the old one.    The ethical thing for the seller to do here is refund your $$ ... but somehow that seems a bit unlikely.

Interesting sequence.    That means your flash drive/key will work fine with v6.0, since it was released before 6/17 ... but not with v6.01, since it was released after the transfer (and thus has the key included in the blacklist).

I don't recommend doing that -- since the first time you used the nifty built-in update feature it would stop working ... just noting that anyone in a similar position could easily have the same potential glitch someday when they simply hit the Update button.

As I noted earlier, yet-another good reason to only buy keys from LimeTech.  Clearly you knew that these were not transferable  [based on your note "... Unfortunately, I bought the license from someone else, so I'm hoping the seller will help me out in this case.]  => but the risk you thought you were taking was whether or not the USB flash drive would fail ... NOT that the seller would try to replace the key and consequently blacklist the old one.    The ethical thing for the seller to do here is refund your $$ ... but somehow that seems a bit unlikely.

Gary,

Yes I knew it was non transferable, but, reading this post from Tom, it seems like it really wasn't a big deal (had I read this post at that time, I probably wouldn't be in this position). At that time, I saw alot of buying and selling of licenses, and everyone seem fine about it. 

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=38192.0

"As for key transfer - well that's a bit different.  As long as we are offering 2-packs, where the 2nd key is just 30 bucks more (regardless of reg type), well we're not going to transfer this to a different owner.  The true purpose of the 2-packs is to provide a ready backup for someone who doesn't want to be down if indeed their flash does fail, and they don't want to wait around for LimeTech to replace their key.  As for key resale: we don't support this either, though again, via email, we usually do honor requests to change the "regTo" field in the key.  Hint: the chances of us changing the registered owner is much greater if you are in possession of a key/flash that was originally sold as a single key, or if you possess both keys/flashes of a 2-pack."

Again, I was aware of the risks, but at the time I was just looking to save some money.  :-\

I suspect that if you had read that post at the time you would have simply asked the seller to e-mail LimeTech to ask if they'd change the registration to you [based on "... As for key resale: we don't support this either, though again, via email, we usually do honor requests to change the "regTo" field in the key."], and only made the purchase if there was a positive response.    I'm a bit surprised that folks still buy keys knowing that they aren't transferable, but I understand the motivation to save a few $$.

• 3 weeks later...

I bought a Pro license from the same guy, but he had a user name of "infamousmatic"

Update your unraid to version 6 and see if your licence is blacklisted or not. If it blacklisted, then you know he's requested a new GUID. If it happens, I'd probably email Tom about it.

Hope it helps and keep us updated.