ifconfig eth0: device not found

wrench

Hey all,

This is my first build of a pc ever, and also my first experience with unRAID, so please bear with me if I am missing something.

Here is a list of my parts:

http://pcpartpicker.com/b/TCM8TW

I installed the unraid os onto a flash drive and booted up my build with the flash drive. I get into the unraid prompt where it asks me to login. As per the instruction guide, I used root. I also plugged in my modem to the motherborad via ethernet, however when I run ifconfig eth0 I get a device not found error.

I originally installed version 5 of the os, however I came across a post that said the issue was fixed for them with the new beta release. Perhaps version 5 was not compatible with the asus h87i mobo that I am using.

I upgraded to the version 6 beta, but I still don't see an eth0. I've attached the new syslog file as well as the output to ifconfig -a on the computer. Please let me know if I am missing anything. Thanks!

ifconfig.txt

syslog.txt

Dec 17 10:06:25 Tower kernel: e1000e: Intel® PRO/1000 Network Driver - 2.3.2-k

Dec 17 10:06:25 Tower kernel: e1000e: Copyright© 1999 - 2014 Intel Corporation.

Dec 17 10:06:25 Tower kernel: e1000e 0000:00:19.0: Interrupt Throttling Rate (ints/sec) set to dynamic conservative mode

Dec 17 10:06:25 Tower kernel: e1000e 0000:00:19.0: irq 27 for MSI/MSI-X

Dec 17 10:06:25 Tower kernel: e1000e: probe of 0000:00:19.0 failed with error -2

The kernel found an Intel network chipset onboard, but when it tried to probe it -failed.  Check your BIOS settings and make sure the NIC is enabled.  If that doesn't work, it may be defective and you'll have to add a NIC card, or replace the motherboard.  Intel cards are recommended.

Thanks for catching that. The onboard LAN in the bios settings is set to enabled, is that the setting you are referring to?

Also, I just got this motherboard replaced, so I am a bit skeptical of a faulty nic...is the configuration of the asus h87i plus and the Intel Core i3-4330 cpu compatible with unraid? I saw a couple other people in the forum use this mobo which is why I picked it.

Thanks for catching that. The onboard LAN in the bios settings is set to enabled, is that the setting you are referring to?

Yes.  The problem is, it does not appear to be working.  If you want a second opinion, you can try a live CD, a Linux-based diagnostic or full distro and see if it can see any working networking chipsets.

Also, I just got this motherboard replaced, so I am a bit skeptical of a faulty nic...is the configuration of the asus h87i plus and the Intel Core i3-4330 cpu compatible with unraid? I saw a couple other people in the forum use this mobo which is why I picked it.

I cannot speak specifically about your equipment, but I can not think of any reason ANY modern and fairly popular motherboard or CPU would not work.  If a combination of motherboard, CPU, and RAM work at all, then they should work with UnRAID.

One more question -- I see this error in the syslog file:

Tower logger: /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1: eth0 interface does not exist (yet)

Does this mean anything?

It just means what it says, no eth0 available, but then you already knew that, when your ifconfig failed to show an eth0.  It cannot set up an eth0 if it cannot find a network chipset.  eth0 represents the primary ethernet communication line.  eth1 would represent the second ethernet line, if you had 2 network ports.