unRAID Server Release 6.0-beta4-x86_64 Available

Download

Please see

readme.txt

in the release zip file for installation/upgrade instructions.

Disclaimer: This is beta software.  While every effort has been made to ensure no data loss, use at your own risk!

There is a new top-level menu item named "Extensions".  The Extensions page includes menu items for the plugin manager and the Xen manager (if you have booted into Xen/unRaid).  It also includes an Install page that lets you enter the URL or local file name of a ".plg" (plugin) file.  This is the new way of installing plugins and VM appliances moving forward and in the next few weeks I will be working with plugin developers to convert their plugins to "unRaid 6".  (Don't worry it's not a lot of work and I'll be posting some instructions and guidelines shortly.)

Importantly, the plugin manager provides a way for you to easily check if there is an update to any of your installed plugins, and if so, offer one-click update/install.  The webGui itself is a plugin and once you have -beta4 installed, you will be able to check if any webGui updates are available, and if so, install them.  Soon after posting this release I will start posting the "built-in" webGui plugins to the LimeTech github account: https://github.com/limetech

The big advantage of this approach is that it lets me provide faster, incremental updates to webGui functionality without having to go through the entire release process and providing large bzimage/bzroot downloads.  I have some other big plans for the plugin manager moving forward.

The Xen manager is pretty basic at this point.  It lets you start/stop domains (VM's), change the Xen configfile, and other functions associated with domains.  I'll start pushing out documentation in the coming days.  You can install the "stacklet" ubuntu VM using the Extension install page by pasting this into the input field and clicking Install:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/limetech/ubuntu.13-04.xfce.x86-64.20130424/master/ubuntu.13-04.xfce.x86-64.20130424.plg

This requires that "/mnt/cache/domains" directory already exists and the new domain will be created in

"/mnt/cache/domains/ubuntu.13-04.xfce.x86-64.20130424"

Later I will add the ability to configure the target directory of VM applicance downloads.

In order for an existing domain to show up in the Xen Manager it has to be "registered".  This can be accomplished by typing this command:

xenman register <configfile>

Where <configfile> is the absolute name of your VM's Xen configuration file.  For example, suppose you have this:

/mnt/cache/domains/archVM/

/mnt/cache/domains/archVM/archVM.img  <- your root disk image

/mnt/cache/domains/archVM/archVM.cfg <- your Xen config file

You would type:

xenman register /mnt/cache/domains/archVM/archVM.cfg

Now if you click on Extensions/Xen Domains you should see the archVM listed there.  This only has to be done once.  What "xenman register" does is create a new directory on the flash called "config/domains".  Inside this directory it will create a "cfg" file named after your domain's name, eg, "config/domains/archVM.cfg".  This is NOT a xen configfile – it’s an unRaid configuration file that holds some setting that will initially look like this:

autostart=”no”

configfile=”/mnt/cache/domains/archVM/archVM.cfg”

In addition if xenman finds an icon file in the directory that contains your xen configfile, it will copy it to "config/domains/archVM.png".  The name of the icon file in the domain directory can be either "icon.png" or "<domname>.png" ("archVM.png" in our example).

This is the icon that xenman shows in the Domain List, letting you assign a “custom” icon for the domain.  For example, say you download an appliance template with a generic icon.  If you download your own png file, name it after your domain, and then copy into /boot/config/domains/<domname>.png, you now have a custom icon.

Other notes:

* If you Delete a domain, it un-registers (deletes "config/domains/<domname.*" files), but does not actually delete the domain directory - instead it renames it, giving it a "-DELETE" suffix.  To really delete the domain you have to go and delete the domain directory contents yourself - this is just a temporary safety measure because once the image files are deleted, they're gone forever.

* The "clone" operation works (surprisingly) well but is very simple minded.  It just copies the complete domain to a specified clone domain directory and then "renames" the file <domname>.img to <clone-domname>.img.  It also does a "string replace" of "<domname"> in the clone configfile to "<clone-domname>".  Again, this will be refined further as we move along.

* The 'shutdown' operation is a bit peculiar.  After you click 'Shutdown' sometimes it completes when the domain is shut down, but most of the time it completes before the domain is fully shutdown.  The page will continue to show the "Shutdown" button because it thinks the domain is still running.  If you click Refresh a few times eventually the VM does shut down.  [Yes I'm using the --wait option]

* The "syslinux.cfg" file can be edited by clicking on 'flash' from the Main page - you'll see a section there that lets you edit the file.  Of course you need to reboot for changes to take effect.  You can use this to customize your boot sequence, for example, to assign a fixed amount of memory or vcpu's to dom0 and/or assign pci passthrough devices.

* There is a new page under Utilities called PCI Devices which just lists the output of 'lspci' - handy for getting the ID of a device you want to pass through.

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm experiencing a problem with the emhttp interface.  I am using the standard 'one line' go file.  I've not got any plugins installing.  I'm running plain unRAID - no Xen.

I'm seeing this:

Warning: syntax error, unexpected $end, expecting ']' in /var/local/emhttp/sec.ini on line 71 in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/webGui/template.php on line 36 Warning: syntax error, unexpected $end, expecting ']' in /var/local/emhttp/shares.ini on line 93 in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/webGui/template.php on line 40 Warning: syntax error, unexpected $end, expecting ']' in /var/local/emhttp/sec_afp.ini on line 79 in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/webGui/template.php on line 41 Warning: syntax error, unexpected $end, expecting ']' in /var/local/emhttp/sec_nfs.ini on line 53 in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/webGui/template.php on line 42 

at the top of the 'Tower/Main' page.

The error text pushes the page banner frame down such that the tabs are not accessible.  I have cleared the browser cache (several times), but that makes no difference.

Other than this, the system appears to be running okay, through several reboots.

Incidentally, is there a good reason why Asia/Manila has never been included as timezone data?

Edit:

Okay, I think that I can see the reason for this!  All of those files are system-generated, listing all the user shares.  Every line which errors refers to one of my top level directories (which I never wanted as a user share - I realise that this is a fundamental, philosophical, discussion, but I really would be much happier if the system didn't automatically turn every top-level directory into a user share!) - that directory is "Pete's N97".  I guess that the php code is complaining about the apostrophe.  There is obviously a significant change here (use of php?) because 4.x and 5.x never had a problem with this directory.

Edit 2:

Yes, renaming the directory, and rebooting, has got rid of the problem.

syslog.zip.txt

Up and running on my test server, so far no issues. I noticed in the release notes there is a new SAS driver, I was hoping that unraid would finally see my SAS drive (wanted to replace my cache drive with it), but that doesn't seem to be the case!! I have to check the bios settings yet....see if its recognized there

I really would be much happier if the system didn't automatically turn every top-level directory into a user share

+1

Feature Request - The option for

Automatically Created (the way it works now) or Manually Created Only user shares

Would rather not have to start directory names with a "." to have unRaid ignore them.

I really would be much happier if the system didn't automatically turn every top-level directory into a user share

+1

Automatically Created (the way it works now) or Manually Created Only user shares

Would rather not have to start directory names with a "." to have unRaid ignore them.

Why not put those directories on a disk that is excluded from user shares?

All,

I upgraded my unraid server earlier today with a i7 chip that can use vt-d, whereas the prior i3 could not.  Booting into standard non-xen unraid works fine, no issues.  However, even since I enabled vt-d in BIOS, when I try to boot into Xen, and Xen safemode I end up hanging on "Starting QEMU as disk backend for dom0".  It seems to just sit there and sit there.

Am I missing something?

The machine does now have an i7 and 32GB of memory.

Thanks,

Marcus

+1

I keep the contents of each disk categorized by function.  Its not a big deal either way, but the sysadmin in me would like to have the choice.

All,

I upgraded my unraid server earlier today with a i7 chip that can use vt-d, whereas the prior i3 could not.  Booting into standard non-xen unraid works fine, no issues.  However, even since I enabled vt-d in BIOS, when I try to boot into Xen, and Xen safemode I end up hanging on "Starting QEMU as disk backend for dom0".  It seems to just sit there and sit there.

Am I missing something?

Thanks,

Marcus

So if I disable vt-d, I can boot into Xen with no issues.  I've checked everything, am using no plugins.  With vt-d on it always hangs on Starting QEMU as disk backend for dom0.  If I disable vt-d it boots just fine.

Hmmmm

+1

I keep the contents of each disk categorized by function.  Its not a big deal either way, but the sysadmin in me would like to have the choice.

Been wanting to throw this one out there for years.  Just chimed in now because I discovered that I'm not the only one who would like this.

Tom, there are many other things with higher priority.  I'm just requesting that you keep this on your list of things to consider for a rainy day when you have nothing else to do.

+1

I use them on the cache drive, particularly when I want to copy something to the server quickly (i.e. using cache and not a protected drive) and then decide where to move them to for long-term storage later.

I would MUCH prefer a manual-only user-share config option.

All,

Am I missing something?

Thanks,

Marcus

So if I disable vt-d, I can boot into Xen with no issues.  I've checked everything, am using no plugins.  With vt-d on it always hangs on Starting QEMU as disk backend for dom0.  If I disable vt-d it boots just fine.

Hmmmm

Currently I have vt-d enabled, but I am just booting into normal unraid.  The minute I try to boot with Xen enabled it still gets stuck there.

-Marcus

Thanks and Congratulations on Beta4!! I have it (unRAID with Xen) running on my test server and after a little bumpy start my Ubuntu VM, and unRAID are running well!

The bumpy start was caused by me not editing the VM's config file after moving it under the /mnt/cache/domains directory structure from its previous location.

I didn't "get" you can now edit config files for both VM and Syslinux inside the GUI! What a great feature!! It's also great to see NANO's included!

I've been using Apcupsd plugin on the previous version and it seems have installed itself OK. I haven't tried any testing of it yet, however.

There's one little thing, the online release notes, "Changes," refer to upgrading from Beta 1,2 but not 3; I assume it's the same.

Great Work!

Have you tried to see if there's an updated BIOS? Maybe there is something funky with your current one.

that did it!

Thanks for pointing the obvious I missed =)

No problem. Glad it was a quick/easy fix.  :)

Odd, so it started, I started up a VM, noticed my passthrough settings were wrong.  I destroy the VM, my screen goes blank, and then it drops off the network.  On a reboot, it's again hanging on QEMU starting....

I'm perplexed.