[Solved] Plex failing to start in ArchVM

I noticed Plex was not started, and when I run a systectl status plexmediaserver I see the following:

[root@archvm data]# systemctl status plexmediaserver -l

* plexmediaserver.service - Plex Media Server for Linux

Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/plexmediaserver.service; enabled)

Active: failed (Result: core-dump) since Tue 2014-04-15 13:04:55 EDT; 12s ago

Process: 1467 ExecStart=/opt/plexmediaserver/start_pms (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)

Main PID: 1470 (code=dumped, signal=ABRT)

Apr 15 13:04:55 archvm systemd[1]: Started Plex Media Server for Linux.

Apr 15 13:04:55 archvm systemd[1]: plexmediaserver.service: main process exited, code=dumped, status=6/ABRT

Apr 15 13:04:55 archvm systemd[1]: Unit plexmediaserver.service entered failed state.

Apr 15 13:04:55 archvm start_pms[1467]: terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::runtime_error'

Apr 15 13:04:55 archvm start_pms[1467]: what():  locale::facet::_S_create_c_locale name not valid

[root@archvm data]#

I googled the ABRT error and some were suggesting permissions so I chown -R plex:plex on the install directory and the re-directed Library, which is mounting my cache drive, but no luck.

Plex starts occasionally, but 95% of reboots it craps out.

Does anyone have any idea on how to resolve this?

I bet your VM is full. Look at how to move the plex data directory somewhere else. Its in one of my guides I think....

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Nope.

I have my library re-directed to a 250GB data disk on the VM, and there was still space.

Today I tried removing Plex (pacman -R), and wiped out the /opt/plexmediaserver and /mnt/data/plexmediaserver folders and re-installed from scratch, and get the same result:

[root@archvm plexmediaserver]# systemctl status plexmediaserver -l

Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/plexmediaserver.service; disabled)

Active: failed (Result: core-dump) since Sat 2014-04-19 18:08:30 EDT; 2s ago

Process: 691 ExecStart=/opt/plexmediaserver/start_pms (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)

Main PID: 694 (code=dumped, signal=ABRT)

Apr 19 18:08:30 archvm systemd[1]: Starting Plex Media Server for Linux...

Apr 19 18:08:30 archvm su[692]: (to plex) root on none

Apr 19 18:08:30 archvm su[692]: pam_unix(su:session): session opened for user plex by (uid=0)

Apr 19 18:08:30 archvm su[692]: pam_unix(su:session): session closed for user plex

Apr 19 18:08:30 archvm systemd[1]: Started Plex Media Server for Linux.

Apr 19 18:08:30 archvm start_pms[691]: terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::runtime_error'

Apr 19 18:08:30 archvm start_pms[691]: what():  locale::facet::_S_create_c_locale name not valid

Apr 19 18:08:30 archvm systemd[1]: plexmediaserver.service: main process exited, code=dumped, status=6/ABRT

Apr 19 18:08:30 archvm systemd[1]: Unit plexmediaserver.service entered failed state.

I tried it with the standard plex, then removed it and tried with the plexpass version, but always with the same result. Since I wiped out my library there is no real possibility of the disk being full, but here is the current standing anyways:

[root@archvm data]# df -h

Filesystem              Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on

/dev/xvda1                14G  2.1G  11G  17% /

dev                      2.0G    0  2.0G  0% /dev

run                      2.0G  180K  2.0G  1% /run

tmpfs                    2.0G    0  2.0G  0% /dev/shm

tmpfs                    2.0G    0  2.0G  0% /sys/fs/cgroup

tmpfs                    2.0G    0  2.0G  0% /tmp

/dev/xvdb1              246G  60M  234G  1% /mnt/data

tmpfs                    401M    0  401M  0% /run/user/0

I am completely baffled by this. Plex did run fine when I first setup the VM, and now I can't get it to start for the life of me. I don't really want to build a new VM dedicated to Plex, but have not been able to find any good suggestions on fixing it.

on my install i moved the Library folder to my data drive path then

chown your Library folder on your data drive

chown -R plex.root /path/Library

that should let plex startup

Myk

I had done that as well, which got me up and running 2 months ago when I started with the VM. I've also re-done it recently to confirm but it hasn't made any difference.

Thanks, that could be it. I did try the plexpass version but it's a very minor revision from the normal plex one. It was thinking along these lines that got me posting here to being with as I assumed others would face the same issue if they updated the VM. The fact that no-one seems to be having the same problems makes me think it's maybe just me and not everyone else, but since it just stopped working on it's own (after running for a couple of weeks) I don't know what would have broken it (unless a pacman -Syu update did it).

Run it again,  I find when I update and something breaks,  updating again often finds something new to update and fix the issue I am having

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Just tried that. :)

I update archlinux and did a clean install of plexmediaserver. I even left the library in the default location for testing. As soon as I try and run it I get:

[root@archvm plexmediaserver]# systemctl status plexmediaserver -l

Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/plexmediaserver.service; disabled)

Active: failed (Result: core-dump) since Mon 2014-04-21 16:42:42 EDT; 2min 50s ago

Process: 28873 ExecStart=/opt/plexmediaserver/start_pms (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)

Main PID: 28878 (code=dumped, signal=ABRT)

Apr 21 16:42:42 archvm su[28876]: (to plex) root on none

Apr 21 16:42:42 archvm systemd[1]: Started Plex Media Server for Linux.

Apr 21 16:42:42 archvm start_pms[28873]: terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::runtime_error'

Apr 21 16:42:42 archvm start_pms[28873]: what():  locale::facet::_S_create_c_locale name not valid

Apr 21 16:42:42 archvm systemd[1]: plexmediaserver.service: main process exited, code=dumped, status=6/ABRT

Apr 21 16:42:42 archvm systemd[1]: Unit plexmediaserver.service entered failed state.

I think the best answer will be found in the more detailed logs.

So I have checked the Plex logs and they are empty.

I also created a new test VM, updated the OS, installed Plex and get the same error so am assuming it's a more universal issue than just me, but am still surprised that no-one else is chiming in with the problem as I would have guessed a number of people are using IronicBadger's image.

I also created a new test VM, updated the OS, installed Plex and get the same error so am assuming it's a more universal issue than just me, but am still surprised that no-one else is chiming in with the problem as I would have guessed a number of people are using IronicBadger's image.

Myself included. I have no such issue. Maybe you could take this to the plex forum as its their product.

Myself included. I have no such issue. Maybe you could take this to the plex forum as its their product.

Yes, I will give that a try as well. it's definitely a head scratcher. I thought by creating a new VM I may get around this, but it doesn't seem to matter.

I am assuming you have your VM up to date with OS & Plex updates Ironic?

Yes, I will give that a try as well. it's definitely a head scratcher. I thought by creating a new VM I may get around this, but it doesn't seem to matter.

OS is up to date and plex is whatever's in my repo.

OS is up to date and plex is whatever's in my repo.

Okay, that is what I figured. Thanks for the confirmation.

When you set things up again,  did you create a new library or did you point to your existing one that you said is remote?

I've wiped out my original library as part of troubleshooting. I have a virtual data drive mounted in ArchVM that is 250GB that I am using for SAB,SB & Plex Library. I made sure there was nothing under /opt/plexmediaserver or /mnt/data/plexmediaserver which was my Library drive.

On my new test VM I get exactly the same error, and this is without a library ever being created before.

What if you leave the library in the default location,  install everything default to see if it works

I tried that on my original VM as one of the tests, and I also did that on the new VM I built from scratch. I just wanted to get the service running, so left it 100% vanilla.

Still no success.

I know it's a lot to ask, but would someone be willing to test a new VM scenario?

The basic steps are:

1) Unzip ArchVM to a new folder (I created a temp folder, copied it and unzipped it)

2) Rename VM for easy access (I renamed directory to tempvm, renamed arch.cfg to temp.cfg and updated the VM name

3) Started VM

4) Ran pacman -Syu to update all packages

5) Ran pacman -S plexmediaserver

6) Ran systemctl start plexmediaserver

7) Ran systemctl status plexmediaserver -l

I would like to see if this is an easily reproducible issue that might make it easier to fix.