Remote control home PC

SSD

I will be traveling and would like to be able to remote control my home PC from my travel location. What are the best options. I want something reasonably fast, secure and (hopefully) free. I do own VNC. I can easily access my array from my home PC and would prefer that to directly connecting to my server.

One more vote for TeamViewer ... although I must admit I liked LogMeIn better.  We're going to be gone for nearly 9 weeks this summer, and I suspect I'll just give the LogMeIn folks $100 so I can set up both of our computers for access [$99 for 2 computers isn't all that bad -- although clearly it's not nearly as nice as FREE was  :) ]

One more vote for TeamViewer ... although I must admit I liked LogMeIn better.  We're going to be gone for nearly 9 weeks this summer, and I suspect I'll just give the LogMeIn folks $100 so I can set up both of our computers for access [$99 for 2 computers isn't all that bad -- although clearly it's not nearly as nice as FREE was  :) ]

Yes, LogMeIn was better. However, I have serious problems with how they handled the transition. I'd never give them money again because of that.

Thanks all!! I've learned that unRaid users are about the most knowledgable on most any technology subject! I'll give Teamviewer a try. Since I've never use Logmein, I won't have any regrets or feelings of paradise lost :).

My travel location is fixed and I have a second workstation there, and high-speed broadband access. I'd like to be able to connect bidirectionally (when home connect to travel, when traveling connect to home). Assuming I can do that.

I was expecting someone to say they VPNed into their network and used VNC or something similar. Is that anything people have tried?

I was expecting someone to say they VPNed into their network and used VNC or something similar. Is that anything people have tried?

When I am at my parents house I VPN to my router and then do the remote desktop thing.  It works just like I am at home sitting on my network.  I can connect to my SMB shares like I am sitting at home.  Just have to be aware that I am going over a slower internet connection so streaming Blu Ray might not be feasible.

My router and modem are a single unit from my service provider. It does not include VPN features. Is there an alternate means to establish VPN?

I turned off all but the essential on the router/modem provided by my cable company.  Frankly I should just go buy my own cable modem and be done with it so I do not have to pay the rental fee from my cable provider.

If you do that then you can get a DDWRT capable router, put DDWRT on it and set it up however you like.

Virtually any ISP supplied router can be supplanted by your own router.    As long as your own router is the only thing you connect to the ISP's, then you won't have any issues with different subnets, so it'll work exactly as if your router was the only one in the system.  Just connect the WAN port on your router to a LAN port on the ISP's router and it'll effectively just use the ISP's router's cable modem function.

Ok, I installed Teamviewer. It asked if I wanted to install Teamviewer VPN and I declined. Was that a mistake?

Have not yet tried to connect. Assuming I need to leave the computer turned on, locked and not go to sleep for me to be able to access remotely. Correct?

And one other question - would someone be able to observe my activity if they happened to be looking at the display while I was controlling it remotely.

Ok, I installed Teamviewer. It asked if I wanted to install Teamviewer VPN and I declined. Was that a mistake?

Have not yet tried to connect. Assuming I need to leave the computer turned on, locked and not go to sleep for me to be able to access remotely. Correct?

And one other question - would someone be able to observe my activity if they happened to be looking at the display while I was controlling it remotely.

I wasnt aware of the VPN portion. I may look into that.  Im getting ready to do some international traveling and that would be an easy way to stream US services.

Im not aware of a way in TemViewer to keep the remote desktop locked while remoting.  The app is intended for sharing, so that kind of the point.

I wasnt aware of the VPN portion. I may look into that.  Im getting ready to do some international traveling and that would be an easy way to stream US services.

Im not aware of a way in TemViewer to keep the remote desktop locked while remoting.  The app is intended for sharing, so that kind of the point.

I don't expect to leave my computer powered on and unlocked 24x7 to allow me to remote in.

When I am at my parents house I VPN to my router and then do the remote desktop thing.  It works just like I am at home sitting on my network.  I can connect to my SMB shares like I am sitting at home.  Just have to be aware that I am going over a slower internet connection so streaming Blu Ray might not be feasible.

Can you provide a bit more info on this?  This is something I've been wanting to setup; I already have a DDWRT Asus RT-N16.