Wanted: X-Case 5 in 3 Hotswap Caddy V2

• 1 month later...

I'm currently rebuilding a new unraid server and have exactly this in my current one (a 4u xcase with 10 internal drives and a 5-into-3.

I was thinking of reusing the existing server as a backup machine, but that's for the future, so I can consider dismantling if you're still looking.

Only thing holding me from the new build is...... I'm waiting for xcase to get their new cases in stock!

This appears to be the same cage as sold in the USA as the NORCO SS-500.  It would cost more, but you could probably have it shipped to your location.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=16-133-030

http://www.norcotek.com/product-category/storage-enclosure/hot-swap-storage-module/5-bays-hot-swap-module/

I've seen these are available, but unfortunately it upsets my OCD... The xcase units come with red buttons on each tray, whereas the Norco ones come with blue buttons!

As I already have two I was hoping to find some more that match. As my server lives in the lounge next to the TV it will be noticeable to me. This is an occasion where I wish I had a cupboard where I could hide it away, so aesthetics wouldn't be as important!

Appreciate you taking the time to find the links though :)

This all assuming X-Case is not going to carry them anymore.

You could always alternate red/blue caddies to give you a repeating pattern.  Or do a Red-Blue-Blue-Red, or reverse it.  That would look ok I would think.  That is assuming they are the same unit with only a different plastic insert in the handle.

If X-Case is not going to sell them any more, then you could contact norcotek and ask them if you could purchase two (2) with the red handles.  Alternatively you could purchase 10 caddies with the blue handle plus two SS-500's.  If you are going to that expense, it might be worth it to just buy a 4220  and move your server into it if you have the room.  Then you could sell your existing caddies to recoup some of the cost.

Your post triggered me to order my 4th SS-500.  I had purchased an Antec 1200 to move into but have not moved into it yet.

I'm using the same case myself! Unfortunately I don't have the space for a 4220. Thanks for the ideas tho.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that xcase get their new cases in stock soon :)

I keep checking every day.

It's worth contacting XCase (if you haven't), since they seem to take some things off their site altogether when they don't have stock (whilst some other things are just listed as out of stock).  For example, the case I am looking at buying (the non-pro RM 424) suddenly wasn't there the day I went to buy it.  Nor were any of its variations.  I think they're expecting an updated version in this week, but it's been several weeks, and to the casual buyer it looks like they don't supply anything that the home server price point.  I emailed and contacted them on Facebook (for two different reasons) - they've always been quick to reply.

Fingers crossed

• 5 weeks later...

I'm using the same case myself! Unfortunately I don't have the space for a 4220. Thanks for the ideas tho.

It's worth contacting XCase (if you haven't), since they seem to take some things off their site altogether when they don't have stock (whilst some other things are just listed as out of stock).  For example, the case I am looking at buying (the non-pro RM 424) suddenly wasn't there the day I went to buy it.  Nor were any of its variations.  I think they're expecting an updated version in this week, but it's been several weeks, and to the casual buyer it looks like they don't supply anything that the home server price point.  I emailed and contacted them on Facebook (for two different reasons) - they've always been quick to reply.

Fingers crossed

Guessing still no joy on the new case?

I've been keeping an eye on the website and I even tried emailing them - seems they're just not selling these anymore

Fingers crossed

Guessing still no joy on the new case?

I've been keeping an eye on the website and I even tried emailing them - seems they're just not selling these anymore

Not yet no.  Checking the site every day or so for their new cases.  There was a brief video/photo on their Facebook page of them testing the new version of cases, but nothing on their site yet.

I'll get a photo up here shortly to confirm we're talking about the same version.