EXPIRED : Seagate ST32000542AS 2tb $69.99

bigdog66

Mod note:

I went Dexter-style on this thread and split it into two.  Please continue to use this original thread for all discussion of the price and availability of these 2 TB Seagate LP drives.  Please use this new thread for all discussion of the firmware update procedures, issues, etc.:

2 TB Seagate Barracuda LP ST32000542AS Firmware Issues

- Raj

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4846365&CatId=4357

I know we are all waiting to see what Newegg offers but this is at TigerDirect and also the 1.5tb for 59.99

TigerDirect will prob not have free shipping but there it is

Oops....the 1.5 is a 7200rpm drive

Is the 5900rpm going to hurt performance, when used as a parity drive, when all of my other drives are 7200rpm?

Yes. It will.  (if all the other disks are 7200 RPM.)  Parity checks will not be affected much, but writes to the array are potentially 1/3 slower.

Im planning to use these for both parity and storage.  Will I be ok or do I need a faster drive for parity?

Is the 5900rpm going to hurt performance, when used as a parity drive, when all of my other drives are 7200rpm?

Yes. It will.  (if all the other disks are 7200 RPM.)  Parity checks will not be affected much, but writes to the array are potentially 1/3 slower.

My first thought is that you would not want to use the new 5900 RPM disk as parity with an array full of 7200 RPM drives - you'd want to use it as a data disk.  If it is the single largest disk in the array (which I'm assuming is the case), you don't have a choice for now.  But be on the lookout for a Hitatchi 2T 7200 RPM drive, and when you get it, swap it out for the parity drive and move this disk to a data disk slot.  It will still slow down parity checks a bit, but who cares?  You run a parity check overnight once a month and it should still finish by morning.  The bigger impact would be on write performance, which you'd experience on each write to the array.  If this is a data disk, you'd just have the slight speed reduction in writes to this one disk.

Although this is my first inclination, if your plan is to start adding / replacing disks with 5400/5900 RPM drives, I wouldn't even bother.  Performance with the these drives is still quite acceptable.  And if write speed is too slow, you can always add a cache disk.

The rampant failures were two generations ago, with the 7200.11 series. In fact I have two of those 1.5TB drives running in my unRAID server now. Previous to that, they ran in a Windows machine for a year or two. Neither has required replacement, but now that I have unRAID, I rest a little easier.

The rampant failures were two generations ago, with the 7200.11 series. In fact I have two of those 1.5TB drives running in my unRAID server now. Previous to that, they ran in a Windows machine for a year or two. Neither has required replacement, but now that I have unRAID, I rest a little easier.

Thanks!

I just bought two of 'em.  :)

- Al -

Ordered 2 from newegg and 1 from tigerdirect.  And in doing so, remembered why I haven't ordered from tigerdirect in 7 or 8 years.

Don't know why you haven't ordered from tigerdirect.....sure you have to pay shipping but I have seen a lot over the years where their price was cheaper.....I could be a bit biased because i live so close to their Chicago shipping facility....within reason they ALWAYS ship the same day....its freaking amazing...lol

I have order as late as 6:00 their time and got the items the next day

but recently i have pretty much order everything from Newegg because i have caught almost all the stuff on shellshocker....and they have usually taken a couple of days just to ship.....usually the prices are close....guess it depends how quickly you want the item

Rajahal, I noticed this post http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=8229.msg79787#msg79787 where you spoke about your bad experience with the firmware on this drive.

What happened between then and now that changed your mind on this drive to lead you to purchase one again?  Was it simply the price point or something more?  I'm trying to decide whether or not to buy this drive right now.

Thanks