cannot start VMs (license has expired)

My VMs are all hardware version 8 and i thought that after the 60 day trial that i could still use them. Now they wont start? What am I missing?

You're referring to ESXi?  My guests are all on VM version 8 with no issue (ESXi 5.5 free).

Are you trying to access it from the Web manager, perhaps?  The free version only works with the Windows vSphere client.  I know there would be an issue with the free version and VM version 10, but everything I've read says you just can't edit the machines.

My only thought is that you are running it without a license.  Even the free version requires a (free) license number, which is given to you when you register and download the free product.

Where can I input the license number in esxi after its already installed? I'll try and get the license number again on vmware website. I'm running 5.1 and using the windows vSphere client as you have said, so I think I'm good there.

Using the vCenter client, click on the host name...Configuration Tab...Licensed Features. Then click Edit... in the upper right.

TQZ3Yf4.png