ETA for 6.0 final?

That said, nothing stops you playing around a bit.  You should be able to run your virtualbox setup just fine in Unraid6b keeping that as the production half of your system.  In the mean time you can play about with xen based VM's without hurting anything.

I did that with my setup though I admit mine is fairly low complexity and only lasted about a week before I decided my archVM was good enough to move everything (read plex) over and start using that as my stable system.

• 5 months later...

It's now well into Q4 ... Christmas is rapidly approaching ... are we any nearer to a 6RC (roadmapped for Q3) ?

It's time consuming and disappointing to have to keep scouring the site 2-3 times a week for news of this ... and still finding nothing

Yes, I could run the latest beta but it's not the same, especially if an RC is just around the corner.

Can we please have an indicative release date or an update to the roadmap dates posted for 6.0 & 6.1.

Thanks

It's now well into Q4 ... Christmas is rapidly approaching ... are we any nearer to a 6RC (roadmapped for Q3) ?

It's time consuming and disappointing to have to keep scouring the site 2-3 times a week for news of this ... and still finding nothing

Yes, I could run the latest beta but it's not the same, especially if an RC is just around the corner.

Can we please have an indicative release date or an update to the roadmap dates posted for 6.0 & 6.1.

Thanks

You can subscribe to the announcement forum and get updates/announcements from limetech delivered right to your mailbox.

There are certain questions, that when pondered, lead to madness.

Agreed.

When I first joined unRAID I was very antsy about when version 5 would be final. I ended up waiting a year before that happened (and that was short compared to the people who have been here for years). Moral of my story: it will come, be patient, life is too short to worry about release dates, go drink a beer and live life!

And when v6.0 is final, we will all be waiting for v6.1 beta lol.  The roadmap is a great addition to keep us all updated by the limetech team, but it does need updated as things slip.

I'll be updating when it goes final, by that time someone should have written the newbie guides for VMs.  It's hard enough having to learn linux without adding VMs to the mix.  My head is going to hurt! lol

• 2 months later...

VMs are old hat.  Docker is where it's at now, not just in unRAID.

Dockers still have major issues to work out, namely the exhausting of all drive space and not just in unRaid either. Its been a known problem for well over a year now and the docker developers have yet to make any reasonable strides towards fixing the problem. Just google for terms like "when docker eats up your disc space".

While this bug report started out specific, it has become a catch all bucket for docker chewing through drive space with no means of recovering other than nuking everything and restarting.

https://github.com/docker/docker/issues/3182

Curious about the ETA for unRAID 6.0 final.

I'm eagerly awaiting upgrading my 5.0.5 box to the final version of 6.0 so I can decommission my VMware box.

Any planned date for release?

We are way past due on providing an update to everyone and for that, we apologize.  The fact is that we are very close to completion with unRAID 6.0 and have been working out the final details on how we intend to move from beta to RC as well as final in short order.

As far as Docker and VMs go, Docker is definitely a great solution to a big problem and the issues that some have experienced are not being experienced by the majority of folks.  The #1 problem we have with Docker is the corruption of the image due to filling up the parent disk device and copy on write having issues.  We've been extensively testing a fix on this and are feeling comfortable to mark that issue solved in an upcoming release.

I would argue that saying Docker still has "major issues to work out" is a massive over dramatization of the state of Docker / on unRAID.

I would argue that saying Docker still has "major issues to work out" is a massive over dramatization of the state of Docker / on unRAID.

I'm not talking about the issue in terms of unRAID. I'm talking about the issue of Docker in general.

Out of curiosity, just how would you qualify an issue that has been known about since December 2013 by the Docker developers and will hit everyone using it (baring some infinite storage space development) and has yet to even be fixed by the Docker Developers? Doesn't seem like it's a minor issue to me.

I'm not talking about the issue in terms of unRAID. I'm talking about the issue of Docker in general.

Out of curiosity, just how would you qualify an issue that has been known about since December 2013 by the Docker developers and will hit everyone using it (baring some infinite storage space development) and has yet to even be fixed by the Docker Developers? Doesn't seem like it's a minor issue to me.

I would call it what it is: an issue that affects some users in some situations.  The relative importance of the issue and it being fixed is just that...relative.  Relative to the use case and the user. That issue does not have such a major impact on unraid users. And rebuilding a docker image isn't the end of the world.

I would call it what it is: an issue that affects some users in some situations.  The relative importance of the issue and it being fixed is just that...relative.  Relative to the use case and the user. That issue does not have such a major impact on unraid users. And rebuilding a docker image isn't the end of the world.

If you mean the persistence of some dangling image layers in the filesystem, the unRAID implementation is less prone to it than the average docker implementations. Every recreation of a container will erase it's earlier version, and every image update will do this too.

If you wish to do an extra cleanup, you can always use the docker rmi $(docker images -f "dangling=true" -q) command.

If you mean the persistence of some dangling image layers in the filesystem, the unRAID implementation is less prone to it than the average docker implementations. Every recreation of a container will erase it's earlier version, and every image update will do this too.

If you wish to do an extra cleanup, you can always use the docker rmi $(docker images -f "dangling=true" -q) command.

I believe that is what BRiT is referring to.  I actually never read through the thread he linked before today because it just hasn't been an issue for us.

You hit the nail on the head in your post when you said, "the unRAID implementation is less prone to it than the average docker implementations."

Docker is a solution for a lot of different types of problems.  The folks that are complaining the loudest about the Docker image layers / space consumption issue are those that are using it in larger business / cloud environments, not so much folks running a handful of apps on their NAS.

So, with all this Docker/btrfs trouble, do we have to use btrfs if we're using Docker on our cache drives?  I think I'd rather use xfs, but I still want to use Docker.

No - you can use any of the supported file systems to host the docker image file.  The docker image file is internally formatted as BTRFS, but that does not affect the system on which it is hosted.