Basic ways of securing unRAID?

NotYetRated

Hello, now that I have my server setup and mostly configured as I like, I am looking to implement whatever basic/moderate forms of security that I can. (I know, this should have been done first).

I use my unRAID setup for:

1. Housing media, movies, tv, photos etc

2. Personal folders, bills, taxes, etc, all encrypted files

3. PC backups

4. Plex Server!. In a VM on Windows Server 2008R2

5. Blue Iris security system. In a VM on Windows Server 2008R2

6. Minecraft Server, small, mostly brother and his friends. In a VM on MineOS

What are my options for implementing some security, while maintaining access for my Plex/MC stuff?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi,

I have set up my server finally and wish to ask about server security:

"if" by any chance my hard drive(s) would fall into wrong hands, can data be extracted from one + parity drive. I´m simply asking this cause I don´t know much about unraids RAID protocol or much about unraid yet.

I have learned that this server needs to be kept out of internet and that´s how it´s gonna stay.

Is there any ways, "if" the data can be re-structed from drives...is there any ways to prevent this. so that disks wont work if it´s been hooked on to another server or so. I´m kinda asking that can there be a "key" or something build inside the drives, so that it won´t work without it.

Or is there a section about programs security, so that I would learn maybe a bit more.

I am afraid that each disk is a discrete file system and can thus be read on any computer that can handle the file system used.  This is in many ways a strength of unRAID as it helps greatly in recovery scenarios after multiple simultaneous disk failures, but it does not help the security aspect if the physical disks get stolen.  I think that the assumption is that you secure the physical server and if you lost the physical server then you probably have more serious issues to worry about.

Built-in support for encrypted file systems is something that has been requested, but there is no ETA for when/if this might be supported.  Not sure if there are any plugins that can achieve this on the current system as it is not something I have ever looked into.  I seem to remember there being one but I cannot recall the details.