Notification with Gmail and TPA (App password)

kwaldron

I'm setting up unRaid to use my Gmail account to send notifications. Since I am using Two Part Authentication with Gmail I need to create an application specific password in Gmail. I have done so and used this as the password in setting up the SMTP settings. Save, then test. Fails authentication.

I've looked at the Gmail messages and don't see this specific issue, but do see that people have successfully set up to use Gmail for this purpose.

Am I missing something obvious?

Thanks in advance.

I'm setting up unRaid to use my Gmail account to send notifications. Since I am using Two Part Authentication with Gmail I need to create an application specific password in Gmail. I have done so and used this as the password in setting up the SMTP settings. Save, then test. Fails authentication.

I've looked at the Gmail messages and don't see this specific issue, but do see that people have successfully set up to use Gmail for this purpose.

Am I missing something obvious?

Thanks in advance.

Since gmail accounts are free, what some people do is set up an account specifically for their unraid box, and use it to send mail to their main account. I am not aware of a way to use gmail with two part authentication in unraid.

The way I've set up mine (and I use my gmail unraid's account simply to forward to whatever other emails I choose) is server port 465, STARTTLS no.  Everything else is the same as what you had.

There's also a setting somewhere in gmail to allow third party apps or something like that to email (security settings?)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having trouble getting the latest version of Unraid to log into Gmail.  I used the same settings as above, and cannot get this to work.  Do I have to do anything within Gmail to get this to work?  If so, what would that be (as I've been looking into this for a while and can't find the correct settings).

Thank you.

The only thing i did was setup the application password as i use 2 step auth for gmail.  worked like a champ.  Make sure your user name is your full gmail address (i.e. [email protected]).

So I too had to do an app password, if you have two step auth on you need it. I didn't not have to use @gmail though, I think they're smart enough to accept either.

I've been thinking of using two step authorization, but I had concerns I couldn't get gmail across all my devices (including a windows phone, and Microsoft and Google aren't exactly buddies).  I had a hard time setting up my windows phone to get gmail.  I'll have to look into this, though, as I don't have another email account.

the application password is pretty easy to use.  Here's a link with more info:

https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/185833?hl=en

That's the exact link I already posted 6 posts earlier.

I suppose it doesn't hurt to post it a third time.

https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/185833?hl=en

Hmm...I get "The setting you are looking for is not available for your account." when I select this link.  It then points me to "Show all account settings", whereupon I get a number of options including security and login.  Do I have to have two step verification enabled?  If so, are you using this?  If you are using this, how much of a pain is it to use?  I log into and out of gmail probably 10+ times a day on my computer and many times per day on my phone (not sure my Windows phone would handle two step verification, without more research). 

BRiT - suppose i can post the link one more time for fun?  Didn't mean to offend you by reposting the link.  Did i violate some etiquette I am unaware of by doing so?  If so, then I apologize.

ctviggen- you do have to have 2 step auth turned on.  It's pretty simple to use.  On a machine that you login quite a few times on, you can say that any login should be trusted and to not require 2 step authentication.

Honestly with all the email hacking that is going on, you really should probably have this turned on.

BRiT - suppose i can post the link one more time for fun?  Didn't mean to offend you by reposting the link.  Did i violate some etiquette I am unaware of by doing so?  If so, then I apologize.

ctviggen- you do have to have 2 step auth turned on.  It's pretty simple to use.  On a machine that you login quite a few times on, you can say that any login should be trusted and to not require 2 step authentication.

Honestly with all the email hacking that is going on, you really should probably have this turned on.

Thanks, I'll give it a try.  I prefer not to log into Gmail, as they then track everything.  I've been trying to use Yahoo searching instead of Google; I delete all my emails from Gmail; I clear my search and youtube history all the time.  So, while I can enable 2 step authorization, I only keep a minor amount of email on Gmail.