Slow Disk Rebuid [Solved]

Basically, you need to upgrade.  You are running v5.0-rc12a which is quite old, with bugs long fixed.  Syslog shows your problems started very quickly with IRQ16 being ignored.  The first thing attached to it was one of the USB controllers, so that didn't hurt as far as I can see.  But then it was assigned to mvsas, the module handling all disk access for the SAS card and all of its attached drives.  An IRQ that isn't handled is a software bug somewhere (driver, driver support modules, motherboard, BIOS, etc).  When the kernel detects it, it disables the IRQ, as untrustable, and that can be catastrophic or at least cause enormous slowdowns as the system switches to much slower polling based communications.  I'm somewhat surprised the drives were not dropped, but since that didn't happen, mvsas apparently found slower ways to communicate and keep going.

You need to upgrade your unRAID (Upgrading to UnRAID v6 guide).  Your BIOS is from 2012 and showed other issues, so check also for a BIOS upgrade for your motherboard.

You are also getting warnings from your UPS that your UPS battery needs to be replaced.  And there's a misconfiguration in the email notification setup, but don't worry about it.  It should be cleaned up once you upgrade to v6.

Thanks for that.

It has run at an OK speed before for the monthly parity check etc, so it seems strange that it is going slow now.

Should I let it finish before upgrading, should only take a week or so :| or finish and upgrade?

Or should I finish turn off USB in the BIOS and see what happens?

An unhandled, disabled interrupt can only be enabled by a reboot, so a reboot seems sensible to me.  IRQ assignments, like a number of startup assignments in the kernel, can be somewhat random, perhaps why it has worked before.  The syslog message "irq 16: nobody cared" is not good, but only harmful if IRQ16 is assigned to something you are using.  If you drop down a little in the syslog from that message, you see "handlers" and one or more will be listed.  In your case (happened 3 times), you'll just see a USB handler (usb_hcd_irq) the first time, which may be harmless as you would have seen a number of other errors if it had been the one your flash drive was using!  But on the next error, the mvsas handler (mvs_interrupt) was involved, and that's bad.  If you see that, you might as well reboot again, until you don't have an IRQ16 error message, or you do but it only involves the USB handler, AND the system is working fine.

You need a USB controller on, at least the one your unRAID boot drive is using.

An unhandled, disabled interrupt can only be enabled by a reboot, so a reboot seems sensible to me.  IRQ assignments, like a number of startup assignments in the kernel, can be somewhat random, perhaps why it has worked before.  The syslog message "irq 16: nobody cared" is not good, but only harmful if IRQ16 is assigned to something you are using.  If you drop down a little in the syslog from that message, you see "handlers" and one or more will be listed.  In your case (happened 3 times), you'll just see a USB handler (usb_hcd_irq) the first time, which may be harmless as you would have seen a number of other errors if it had been the one your flash drive was using!  But on the next error, the mvsas handler (mvs_interrupt) was involved, and that's bad.  If you see that, you might as well reboot again, until you don't have an IRQ16 error message, or you do but it only involves the USB handler, AND the system is working fine.

You need a USB controller on, at least the one your unRAID boot drive is using.

Looked up an old thread of yours talking about all of this  How to resolve IRQ Conflicts in UnRaid

If you have a decent motherboard manual, then you might also be able to work around the issue by playing with slot assignments

width=400http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f109/squidaz/Untitled_zpsqqhqfhel.png[/img]

Would upgrading to V6 possibly help?

Since it's a bug somewhere, I'd upgrade everything you can.  Upgrade unRAID to 6.1.9.  Try to upgrade the motherboard BIOS.  And try to upgrade the firmware on the SAS cards.

Could it be an issue with having two SAS MVS cards in there?

Don't know, but probably not.  Did it work with the 2 of them before?