$90 Xeon E5-2670 2.6Ghz (8cores / 16threads)

So I just received my first cpu. Now I'm thinking I need two.

Any advice between the 2 MB's below? I'll be running a few vm's, light gaming and media server.

I'm leaning towards the ASRock.

http://www.provantage.com/supermicro-mbd-x9drl-b~7SUPM3MP.htm

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157352

Thanks for the help.

Can't wait to see some pictures of the finished rigs.

For those of you that are going with a 2 socket motherboard, how are you orienting the heatsink/fans?

The ASRock EP2C602 mobo I bought has both CPU slots in line front to back of the mobo.

The two options I see are:

1. have both heasinks/fans blow air towards the back of the computer but the problem with this is the heatsink closer to back will receive warm air from the heatsink further forward, so the fan will always be running harder to keep the CPU at the same temp.

2. have both heatsinks/fans oriented sideways so they blow towards the side (towards the PCIe slots) so both fans get cool(er) air, but this way am I interfering with the front to back airflow that should happen in a rackmount case? At least this way both CPUs will get similarly cool air.

Ant thoughts on which is the best configuration?

Asrock, cheaper and more sata ports.

But does it require an addon card to use all the SATA ports? I know someone posted about that elsewhere in this thread where the board they picked out required a card to get all the ports working.

That was the ASUS board that requires a PIKE add on card. If the form factor isnt an issue, I would have chosen the ASRock as well.

For those of you that are going with a 2 socket motherboard, how are you orienting the heatsink/fans?

My plan is to just let them both exhaust out the back, maybe even fashion a duct out of cardboard or something. As far as i know as long as you have a good airflow in your case its not going to make that big of a difference for CPU2.

Edit: Of course if you have a case with 2 120mm/140mm exhausts near the motherboard you could also try 2 AIO liquid coolers.

But does it require an addon card to use all the SATA ports? I know someone posted about that elsewhere in this thread where the board they picked out required a card to get all the ports working.

That was me. The Asrock you picked doesn't need any extra add in cards for the sata ports, that's just a way for Asus to grind some extra cash out ;)

The ASRock EP2C602 mobo I bought has both CPU slots in line front to back of the mobo.

The two options I see are:

1. have both heasinks/fans blow air towards the back of the computer but the problem with this is the heatsink closer to back will receive warm air from the heatsink further forward, so the fan will always be running harder to keep the CPU at the same temp.

2. have both heatsinks/fans oriented sideways so they blow towards the side (towards the PCIe slots) so both fans get cool(er) air, but this way am I interfering with the front to back airflow that should happen in a rackmount case? At least this way both CPUs will get similarly cool air.

Ant thoughts on which is the best configuration?

I decided to go with both fans passing through each other front to back. This will keep cool air passing through the case front back, and will also ensure I don't get stagnant heat buildup in the case, since the air will pass through the rear exhaust. With the CPU coolers I'm using, (Noctua's linked in my previous post), they're such overkill, temperatures will be negligible between the two with the amount of air that moves through the fans.

Hows the noise from the cpu coolers everyone is using?

I was looking at picking up more ram for my current server, but now I'm very tempted to go this route instead. This is an amazing deal.

Since I'm not installed.in my case yet, I can't accurately answer. However, noise is not horrible but definitely audible, remember these are server grade components and are not made for the quietness.  With that being said once everything is installed in the case and in my rack, noise level shouldn't be more than normal hum.  The Noctua's come with a 'Y' splitter, and two low noise adapters that cut the fan rpms down. I'm currently running just the Y adapter and I would say the noise level is in the 20 DBA range.

Would either of you guys know the height from the top of the cpu to the top of the cooler.  These look like 4 inch high coolers.  I will be a bit tight at 4 inches in height.

Looks like 4.5"

ASRock EP2C602 SSI EEB has 4 Marvell 9230 SATA3 ports. Unraid is not recognizing drives plugged in to them for me. Both SSD and HDD. Can see the drives in BIOS.

Thoughts?

In case anyone will be a virtualized instance in unraid, I'm running UnRAID on top of ESXi, and I'm only passing through the 10xC602 ports (8xSATA2 and 2xSATA3)

The 4 Marvel ports (4xSATA3) are being used by ESXi as datastore storage

So I've been doing some testing with the Marvell SE9230 controlled SATA III ports on this motherboard (ASRock EP2C602-4L/d16 SSI EEB)

It looks like it's specifically the RAID function of this controller that's giving us grief.  I have confirmed if I smash 2 1TB drives together in a RAID1 then turn on VT-d I can see the RAID1 array within devices on my unRAID.  I know this probably isn't news to anyone, but if anyone was thinking of setting up a RAID1 then using that as a cache drive or VHD store, it could be  workaround for now...

Though we still lose SMART reporting functionality...

5 years is certainly a reasonable expectation.

To put the evolution in perspective ....

In 2004 the 3.4GHZ Pentium-IV was released.    This was the premier chip at the time.    It scores 402 on PassMark  :)

Today, 12 years later, a Core i7-4790K scores 11215 ... about 28 times the performance.

No telling just how fast things will evolve in the next decade, but it's certainly true they WILL evolve ... providing much higher performance and likely at lower power consumption.

The biggest difference between these bargain systems and a new (MUCH more expensive) v3 E5 system isn't processing power -- it's power consumption.    To get the 18,000+ PassMark you guys are getting requires two 140w processors.  You can get the same level of performance with ONE new E5-2680v3  [12 cores with a PassMark of  18852] that has a TDP of 120w.    However, that CPU costs $1700  :)    You can pay for a lot of power with the price difference  :)

With a PAIR of those E5-2680v3's you get a PassMark of 25,936 !!    Perhaps in 5 years there will be a "dump" of those CPU's on e-bay when the next update of Facebook's servers is done  8) 8)

Hey all,

First of all, a big thanks to the thread starter and all that have added to it over the past several weeks.  My wallet is a bit lighter but my server is soon to be a LOT beefier!  I've got 2 of the E5-2670s on their way, that I'll be running together on the ASRock board mentioned earlier in the thread.

My question is this:  I've got a Supermicro SC933 3U chassis that has 15 hot swap drive bays along the front, with 4 fans pulling air from the front and pushing the air through an air shroud over the motherboard and out the back with 2 additional exhaust fans.  The shroud creates a pretty good air flow over the motherboard, but prevents me from having any tower-style cpu fans on top of the cpus (like the Dynatron R17).  I seem to have 3 options:

[*]Keep the shroud and use a large passive heatsink like the Dynatron R8 - aligned so the fins are parallel to the shroud-assisted air flow

[*]Keep the shroud and use a top mounted fan heatsink like the Titan TTC-NA43TZ/CU35

[*]Remove the shroud and use a Dynatron R17 tower-style fan

I'm leaning towards the passive heatsink, assuming that the shroud is already pulling a huge amount of cool air directly over the motherboard and thus through the heatsink fins.

Thoughts?

Thanks very much in advance.

-David

Hey all,

First of all, a big thanks to the thread starter and all that have added to it over the past several weeks.  My wallet is a bit lighter but my server is soon to be a LOT beefier!  I've got 2 of the E5-2670s on their way, that I'll be running together on the ASRock board mentioned earlier in the thread.

My question is this:  I've got a Supermicro SC933 3U chassis that has 15 hot swap drive bays along the front, with 4 fans pulling air from the front and pushing the air through an air shroud over the motherboard and out the back with 2 additional exhaust fans.  The shroud creates a pretty good air flow over the motherboard, but prevents me from having any tower-style cpu fans on top of the cpus (like the Dynatron R17).  I seem to have 3 options:

[*]Keep the shroud and use a large passive heatsink like the Dynatron R8 - aligned so the fins are parallel to the shroud-assisted air flow

[*]Keep the shroud and use a top mounted fan heatsink like the Titan TTC-NA43TZ/CU35

[*]Remove the shroud and use a Dynatron R17 tower-style fan

I'm leaning towards the passive heatsink, assuming that the shroud is already pulling a huge amount of cool air directly over the motherboard and thus through the heatsink fins.

Thoughts?

Thanks very much in advance.

-David

I have the same case. I decided to go with the SuperMicro active coolers (SNK-P0048AP4), and not use the shroud.

ProVantage has the best price:  http://www.provantage.com/supermicro-ssg-2028r-acr24l~7SUPM3R3.htm