Virtualization without vt-d and without PCIe graphicscard?

Can I use a CPU (Core i5 4670k) for virtualization when it only has VT-x? It does not have VT-d.

What I want my computer to do is to act as a NAS, but also function as a standard Windows 10 machine. I'm just using it for web browsing and word, so it will not have a PCIe graphics card, but I want to use iGPU.

So the real question is, can I use a CPU with VT-x but without VT-d virtualization of Windows 10 if I use iGPU as the video output, and not a PCIe graphics card?

//Daniel

Can I use a CPU (Core i5 4670k) for virtualization when it only has VT-x? It does not have VT-d.

What I want my computer to do is to act as a NAS, but also function as a standard Windows 10 machine. I'm just using it for web browsing and word, so it will not have a PCIe graphics card, but I want to use iGPU.

So the real question is, can I use a CPU with VT-x but without VT-d virtualization of Windows 10 if I use iGPU as the video output, and not a PCIe graphics card?

//Daniel

Without VT-d support you cannot use any graphics built into the unRAID server.  VT-d support in both the processor and motherboard is required to do any sort of hardware passthrough

//Daniel

Yes. You can certainly do what you suggested.

//Daniel

How? Please post exact instructions.
  • 2 weeks later...

//Daniel

How? Please post exact instructions.

You can't use iGPU either. But you can set up Win10 VM and use VNC or RDP to get to the desktop of that VM.

Instructions are in the Wiki:

http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/UnRAID_Manual_6#Using_Virtual_Machines