Question about apc backup

Anyone have experience with this model. I had one given to me. I need to order new battery is all. If it would work with unraid and be powerful enough i'll do it since will be cheap.

You need to find out how much power your rig takes during a parity check. Use a kill-a-watt or something similar. That particular model is really low power, 200W max, and it provides about 2 minutes of power with a full battery at that load, or 9 minutes at 100W.

I suspect your system needs more oomph than that model can give.

yes I read specs right after I wrote the last post. Ill fix it but just for my network and possibly my brothers smaller low power pc. but I do want my network up as well and the router and firewall are about 10 feet away from the network. My modem has battery backup on its own so that I wont need to put on. Thanks for your quick reply.

I have another older off brand one but that one I cant find a battery for and I dont know if unraids app to shutdown will work on it. PCM I believe it was was 500watt. Its much bigger and has more ports. has 4 battery ports and 4 surge protected ports. This one I dont know much about. Was left in my second apartment by a previous renter.

3811707983_f6c8df9abb.jpg.4e90c6bb396b58eab9c67e21ee6d6715.jpg

20130914_201207.jpg.e0ef3ede25eaa0c6e369f2ad06edb36f.jpg

20130913_153446.jpg.a6cf21c0dfd5f99cf7f15ed7c8aaeb67.jpg

It's kind of back asswards, but what you could do is use the communication part of the APC, and the backup portion of the heavier unit. Plug your network stuff into the power part of the APC, and the USB part into your server. Then when the power fails, set the server to shut down after a couple minutes, soon enough to get the server down before the more powerful PCM model runs out of power running the server.

Thanks for the reply i'll look into that.

Many have told me my bigger unit is junk and not to even bother using it. Thats why I even bothered to try with the apc dad gave me. I guess i'll have to byte the bullet and spent 140$ or so on a cyberpower 1500 unit. I read its one of the better lower cost units that does in deed work with UNRAID.  After all I already spent and will be spending on more hard drives I want it safe is my point behind this.

I guess i'll have to byte the bullet and spent 140$ or so on a cyberpower 1500 unit. I read its one of the better lower cost units that does in deed work with UNRAID.  After all I already spent and will be spending on more hard drives I want it safe is my point behind this.

Before you spend the money, I'd get independent verification that the particular cyberpower model you are looking at works with apcupsd. I couldn't find any glowing testimonials with a quick search.

I have been told noone knows for sure about the model I mentioned, but I set it up on friends and it indeed does work.

This model

CyberPower CP1500AVRLCD UPS 140$

Cool! What parameters are reported to the apcupsd plugin? Do you get full battery and power % used stats like a smart APC? Does the plugin correctly trigger the UPS to power off after the unraid tower has shut down? If it's 100% functional, it would be a good thing to add to the wiki.

The ES 350 would probably work, but it's a bad choice for a UPS.  You do NOT want a UPS without automatic voltage regulation (AVR) ... and it's also very marginal in terms of the amount of power it can provide (although it's likely enough for a quick shutdown on power failure).

I'd save your money and not bother with batteries for it -- just apply those funds to a quality UPS with AVR ... the Cyberpower unit you're looking at is a good choice.