How to mount an external USB drive shared via unmenu

This may seem like a silly question, but how does one view/browse an external USB drive which has been mounted and shared via unmenu? After mounting and sharing with unmenu, the Disk Management page shows: Sharing /dev/sdd1 as sdd1

I mounted that drive so I could move lots of ISO images (movies) to my newly built unRAID box. Will I need to telnet to the unRAID box to copy those files over, or can I use a wirelessly-connected Windows laptop to do that? With the Windows laptop, I can see the two disks (I have no parity drive for now), and can move files to the unRAID box, but I cannot figure out how to see/browse that external USB drive.

From memory, unMenu mounts the USB drives under /mnt/... in a similar way to the array disks are mounted as /mnt/disk*

You should be able to see sdd1 as a network drive in Windows once it is shared, as you can see disk1, disk2, and flash.

Also make sure windows is set up to display hidden/system files.

Do not try to copy by drag and drop with your laptop as this will in effect copy the file from the USB to the lapto and then from laptop to the array.

Instead use the following http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php?title=Transferring_Files_Within_the_unRAID_Server

Thanks so much for the reply, especially this valuable tidbit here:

Do not try to copy by drag and drop with your laptop as this will in effect copy the file from the USB to the lapto and then from laptop to the array.

I used the 'background' copy feature of Midnight Commander and it appears to be running still, even though I've exited MC and exited the telnet session (putty). This is exactly what I wanted - something I could leave running overnight to move large amounts of data off an external drive.

Thanks again!

I meant to ask for clarification... about how to browse to the external USB drive in a Windows laptop. In other words, in the same way I type \\tower to browse to the tower, what would I type to get to the external drive? I've tried numerous things to no avail, like: \\tower\mnt\disk1\sdd1 , \\sdd1 , \\tower\disk1\sdd1 , \\tower\sdd1  etc

I meant to ask for clarification... about how to browse to the external USB drive in a Windows laptop. In other words, in the same way I type \\tower to browse to the tower, what would I type to get to the external drive? I've tried numerous things to no avail, like: \\tower\mnt\disk1\sdd1 , \\sdd1 , \\tower\disk1\sdd1 , \\tower\sdd1  etc

It would be the last

\\tower\sdd1

There is a second "button" on unMENU to actually share the mounted USB drive.  You'll need to press it to share the drive you mounted.  It shows up after you mount it in place of the button that allows you to mount the drive. 

Once shared, it turns into an un-share button, and once un-shared, it turns back into an un-mount button.

Joe L.

That's one I tried, but no luck. And I did find that button and after mounting it, I shared it. There is even a "confirmation" message that tells me it's being shared (Sharing /dev/sdd1 as sdd1). Yet browsing to \\tower\sdd1 brings up a Windows error box something to the effect of not being able to find it and to check the spelling.

I feel like I must be very close, and it's probably something quite obvious that I'm doing wrong... but currently it has me baffled.

That's one I tried, but no luck. And I did find that button and after mounting it, I shared it. There is even a "confirmation" message that tells me it's being shared (Sharing /dev/sdd1 as sdd1). Yet browsing to \\tower\sdd1 brings up a Windows error box something to the effect of not being able to find it and to check the spelling.

Are you able to find \\tower\disk1 etc in the browser?

Have tried looking at which network drives are available in explorer?

I use unMenu this way to mount USB disks I use for off site backup, and I have never had any problems. 

I can see/browse the array disks fine, just not the external (unprotected) disks. Looking at the unRAID menu, I have the flash share not exported, and the disk shares (SMB) exported read/write hidden. Even when not hidden, the external disk didn't show up in the list. Also, the the disk shares (NFS) box is blank. Perhaps something goes into that empty box in order for this to work?

I can see/browse the array disks fine, just not the external (unprotected) disks. Looking at the unRAID menu, I have the flash share not exported, and the disk shares (SMB) exported read/write hidden. Even when not hidden, the external disk didn't show up in the list. Also, the the disk shares (NFS) box is blank. Perhaps something goes into that empty box in order for this to work?

Have you tried to export the flash?

Can you see the USB disc on it's mount point with the console?

Are there any messages in the syslog re the USB?

Have you enabled explorer to show hidden and system fies?

Also a blank NFS is fine, it isn't needed in this case.

First, did you rename your server to something other than "tower" ?? if so, use your alternate name.

Next, after pressing the button in unMENU to share a unprotected disk, either on a telnet connections or after logging in at the system console, type

testparm

It will list the names of the "shares" on your server.  "sdd1" should be there.

In unMENU, once you share the un-protected disk, the button will change to "Un-Share" if it is then being shared.  Did the label on the button change?

Lastly, what version of unMENU are you using?  and what version of unRAID?  (The location of the samba control files changed from early versions of unRAID.  If you are using an old version of unMENU it might be the reason for your problems.)

Joe L.

What is the proper command to mount and share if you wanted to script this process in the go script upon boot (if the usb device was always plugged in)?

Thx

Unfortunately, it is not as easy as a single command.

You must

1. create the mount point

2. mount the disk on the mount point

3. add entries to the samba config to define a new share, using the mount point

4. request smbd (the samba daemon process) to re-read the samba config to make the newly created share accessible

So, at minimum, 4 commands, and one of them involves editing a config file.

Joe L.

Have you tried to export the flash? Yes, and when I do I can see it fine.

Can you see the USB disc on it's mount point with the console? Yes, it shows to be at /mnt/disk/sdd1

Are there any messages in the syslog re the USB? Nothing unusual - just normal stuff about registering, bus number, etc.

Have you enabled explorer to show hidden and system fies? Yes, but it's still not listed. Only the two shares (Movies and Music). The flash drive shows up whenever I export it, too.

This is with the latest beta (13) for the 4.5 series.

You must

1. create the mount point

2. mount the disk on the mount point

3. add entries to the samba config to define a new share, using the mount point

4. request smbd (the samba daemon process) to re-read the samba config to make the newly created share accessible

Step 1 & 2 are easy enough. Step 3 & 4 I don't understand. Could you share a quick example please?

New revelation: Hooked up another drive via an unused SATA port on the motherboard, then mounted and shared with unMENU just like I did when using an external USB drive. From the console (or telnet) I can view the additional drive and copy from it, but from a Windows machine I cannot see the drive no matter where I look. Basically, this is the same mysterious behaviour as the external USB drive... mounted and browsable from console and telnet, but not from Windows.

New revelation: Hooked up another drive via an unused SATA port on the motherboard, then mounted and shared with unMENU just like I did when using an external USB drive. From the console (or telnet) I can view the additional drive and copy from it, but from a Windows machine I cannot see the drive no matter where I look. Basically, this is the same mysterious behaviour as the external USB drive... mounted and browsable from console and telnet, but not from Windows.

Can you answer the questions I asked in this post? 

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=4832.msg44440#msg44440

I can't help you if you do not supply the answers.

Specifically. 

1.  Do the new shares show in the "testparm" output?

2. What version of unMENU are you running? 

3. What version of the disk-management plug-in?

4. What version of unRAID are you running?

Joe L.

Sorry, Joe - I think I totally missed those questions somehow.

1 - the (short) testparm output:

root@Tower:~# testparm

Load smb config files from /etc/samba/smb.conf

Can't find include file /boot/config/smb-extra.conf

Processing section "[disk1]"

Processing section "[disk2]"

Processing section "[Movies]"

Processing section "[Music]"

Loaded services file OK.

Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE

Wondering if that missing include file has something to do with it? It's not in that directory at all.

2 - unMENU (.awk) version 1.2

3 - disk-management plug-in ... hmm, don't see that version anywhere. Where should I be looking? Under the Disk Mgmt screen, underneath the version information, there is a Plug-in-modules heading with nothing below it.

4 - unRAID version 4.5-beta13

For what it's worth, I currently have an external USB drive and an additional/unprotected SATA drive hooked up so I can move some movies over to the unRAID drives. Using Midnight Commander (or the console, or basic telnet commands) I can navigate to either drive in /mnt/disk/ ... they are showing up as sde1 and sdc1, respectively. I just can't see them from either Windows box (Win XP and Win 7), nor can I figure out how to browse to them (in case they are simply hidden). And I do have the option turned on to view hidden files.

Thanks for helping!

I also believe someone once asked about the mount/unmount and share/unshare buttons in the Disk Mgmt screen. When I mount one of the extra drives, the button changes to unmount. However - when I share that same disk, the screen says it's sharing the disk but that button still shows the option to share it (as opposed to unshare it).

Sorry, Joe - I think I totally missed those questions somehow.

1 - the (short) testparm output:

root@Tower:~# testparm

Load smb config files from /etc/samba/smb.conf

Can't find include file /boot/config/smb-extra.conf

Processing section "[disk1]"

Processing section "[disk2]"

Processing section "[Movies]"

Processing section "[Music]"

Loaded services file OK.

Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE

Wondering if that missing include file has something to do with it? It's not in that directory at all.

It does not have anything to do with the issue, although it can be used to define samba parameters that are local to your needs.  It is not the file used by unMENU.

2 - unMENU (.awk) version 1.2

Good.

3 - disk-management plug-in ... hmm, don't see that version anywhere. Where should I be looking? Under the Disk Mgmt screen, underneath the version information, there is a Plug-in-modules heading with nothing below it.

Not good.  It sounds like you did not install any of the plug-in files (or did not un-zip them to the same folder as the main unMENU "awk" files.)

You can get all three zip files here http://code.google.com/p/unraid-unmenu/downloads/list

UnZip them all the the same directory where you currently have unmenu.awk  Then kill and re-start unmenu.awk so it finds the files and loads the plug-ins.

4 - unRAID version 4.5-beta13

The original file location used in unRAID for samba configuration changed.  The base page version of "Disk Management" built into unmenu.awk uses the OLD locations, but your version of unRAID uses the new.

All you need to do is to install the plug-in files and then re-start unMENU so it will find them.  When you do, the "About" page will look something like this and you would have many more choices available in the top menu:

20qj6n7.jpg

For what it's worth, I currently have an external USB drive and an additional/unprotected SATA drive hooked up so I can move some movies over to the unRAID drives. Using Midnight Commander (or the console, or basic telnet commands) I can navigate to either drive in /mnt/disk/ ... they are showing up as sde1 and sdc1, respectively. I just can't see them from either Windows box (Win XP and Win 7), nor can I figure out how to browse to them (in case they are simply hidden). And I do have the option turned on to view hidden files.

Thanks for helping!

They are both the same issue... The disks are being mounted, but not shared. (Or rather, the file the new shares are being written to is not the one being used by samba in the newer versions of unRAID)  It has nothing to do with them being "hidden" in windows, they are not yet being shared.

If the shares were defined, they would have shown up in the output of the testparm command.  It would have said something like

Processing section "[sdd1]", same as the other defined shares.

I've attached an even newer version of the disk-management plug-in.  After downloading the main zip files with the plug-ins and .conf files, and un-zipping them in the same folder with unmenu.awk, unzip this latest version of the disk-management plug-in to fix a bug that was reported a few days ago running smart "long and short" tests.

Joe L.

I also believe someone once asked about the mount/unmount and share/unshare buttons in the Disk Mgmt screen. When I mount one of the extra drives, the button changes to unmount. However - when I share that same disk, the screen says it's sharing the disk but that button still shows the option to share it (as opposed to unshare it).

It did not change to un-share since it was not successfully being shared.  See my prior post, you need to install the rest of unMENU files to get the plug-in that uses the newer SAMBA file scheme currently used by unRAID.

Yes! That was it - the lack of plugins. I vaguely recall during a late-night install, while tired, reading something about all those files beginning with numbers not being needed. I suppose I mis-interpreted whatever I was reading, and never copied them over. They simply were not in my flash drive, even though I had downloaeded them to my laptop.

Following your instructions, everything is now working as expected, to include the vastly enhanced menu at the top/left corner - it now has many more options than I've previously seen.

Thank you!

I'm trying to mount a USB drives formatted using FAT32. The drive doesn't show up in unMenu. I have all the plug-ins and unMenu 1.2 installed.

What do you see as the result of typing the following commands:

cat /proc/partitions

ls -l /dev/disk/by-id

What do you see in the syslog when you plug in your FAT32 formatted usb disk?

Your disk should show itself as a new USB device when you plug it in.  It should show in /proc/partitions, even if not formatted.

If you do see the partitions for your disk listed (let's say as /dev/hda and /dev/hda1), what do you get when you type

vol_id /dev/hda1

(hda1 would be the first partition on disk hda)

Joe L.

The commands you ask me to try are listed below. I only see my unRaid thumbdrive. Is there a command to refresh the attached drives? The light on the USB drive blinks for a second when I plug it in.

Just so I understand, I'm thinking that after plugging in the usb drive and restarting unMenu it would show up in Disk Management. I don't need to use the mount command first, right?

I noticed something strange. If I plug the USB drive in a different slot and type ls -l /dev/disk/by-id the drive will show up and I get a page not found when I refresh firefox on the disk management page. After some attempts to restart unmenu (/boot/unmenu/uu)...the page comes up and the drive is gone from the /dev list.

When it does shows up I see this, and then it disappears. I doubt the flash drive it bad, because I use it often and its fairly new, but it not impossible.

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  9 Dec 12 10:35 usb-Corsair_Flash_Voyager_0008022108656036D2C5-0:0 -> ../../sdj
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 Dec 12 10:35 usb-Corsair_Flash_Voyager_0008022108656036D2C5-0:0-part1 -> ../../sdj1

cat /proc/partitions

major minor  #blocks  name
   8        0  488386584 sda
   8        1  488386552 sda1
   8       16    3915776 sdb
   8       17    3915744 sdb1
   8       32  488386584 sdc
   8       33  488386552 sdc1
   8       48  488386584 sdd
   8       49  488386552 sdd1
   8       64 1465138584 sde
   8       65 1465138552 sde1
   8       80  976762584 sdf
   8       81  976762552 sdf1
   8       96  488386584 sdg
   8       97  488386552 sdg1
   8      112  488386584 sdh
   8      113  488386552 sdh1
   8      128  488386584 sdi
   8      129  488386552 sdi1
   9        1  976762552 md1
   9        2  488386552 md2
   9        3  488386552 md3
   9        4  488386552 md4
   9        5  488386552 md5
   9        6  488386552 md6
   9        7  488386552 md7
   8      144   15859712 sdj
   8      145   15859336 sdj1

ls -l /dev/disk/by-id

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  9 Dec  7 22:06 ata-ST3500641AS_3PG03ZEH -> ../../sdg
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 Dec  7 22:06 ata-ST3500641AS_3PG03ZEH-part1 -> ../../sdg1
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  9 Dec  7 22:06 ata-ST3500641AS_3PM0DN6R -> ../../sdi
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 Dec  7 22:06 ata-ST3500641AS_3PM0DN6R-part1 -> ../../sdi1
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  9 Dec  7 22:06 ata-WDC_WD1001FALS-00J7B0_WD-WMATV0076785 -> ../../sdf
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 Dec  7 22:06 ata-WDC_WD1001FALS-00J7B0_WD-WMATV0076785-part1 -> ../../sdf1
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  9 Dec  7 22:06 ata-WDC_WD15EADS-00S2B0_WD-WCAVY0693615 -> ../../sde
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 Dec  7 22:06 ata-WDC_WD15EADS-00S2B0_WD-WCAVY0693615-part1 -> ../../sde1
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  9 Dec  7 22:06 ata-WDC_WD5000AAKS-22TMA0_WD-WCAPW2989978 -> ../../sdd
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 Dec  7 22:06 ata-WDC_WD5000AAKS-22TMA0_WD-WCAPW2989978-part1 -> ../../sdd1
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  9 Dec  7 22:06 ata-WDC_WD5000AAKS-22TMA0_WD-WCAPW3020856 -> ../../sdh
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 Dec  7 22:06 ata-WDC_WD5000AAKS-22TMA0_WD-WCAPW3020856-part1 -> ../../sdh1
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  9 Dec  7 22:06 ata-WDC_WD5000KS-00MNB0_WD-WCANU1350138 -> ../../sda
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 Dec  7 22:06 ata-WDC_WD5000KS-00MNB0_WD-WCANU1350138-part1 -> ../../sda1
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  9 Dec  7 22:06 ata-WDC_WD5000KS-00MNB0_WD-WCANU1351614 -> ../../sdc
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 Dec  7 22:06 ata-WDC_WD5000KS-00MNB0_WD-WCANU1351614-part1 -> ../../sdc1
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  9 Dec  7 22:06 scsi-SATA_ST3500641AS_3PG03ZEH -> ../../sdg
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 Dec  7 22:06 scsi-SATA_ST3500641AS_3PG03ZEH-part1 -> ../../sdg1
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  9 Dec  7 22:06 scsi-SATA_ST3500641AS_3PM0DN6R -> ../../sdi
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 Dec  7 22:06 scsi-SATA_ST3500641AS_3PM0DN6R-part1 -> ../../sdi1
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  9 Dec  7 22:06 scsi-SATA_WDC_WD1001FALS-_WD-WMATV0076785 -> ../../sdf
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 Dec  7 22:06 scsi-SATA_WDC_WD1001FALS-_WD-WMATV0076785-part1 -> ../../sdf1
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  9 Dec  7 22:06 scsi-SATA_WDC_WD15EADS-00_WD-WCAVY0693615 -> ../../sde
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 Dec  7 22:06 scsi-SATA_WDC_WD15EADS-00_WD-WCAVY0693615-part1 -> ../../sde1
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  9 Dec  7 22:06 scsi-SATA_WDC_WD5000AAKS-_WD-WCAPW2989978 -> ../../sdd
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 Dec  7 22:06 scsi-SATA_WDC_WD5000AAKS-_WD-WCAPW2989978-part1 -> ../../sdd1
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  9 Dec  7 22:06 scsi-SATA_WDC_WD5000AAKS-_WD-WCAPW3020856 -> ../../sdh
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 Dec  7 22:06 scsi-SATA_WDC_WD5000AAKS-_WD-WCAPW3020856-part1 -> ../../sdh1
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  9 Dec  7 22:06 scsi-SATA_WDC_WD5000KS-00_WD-WCANU1350138 -> ../../sda
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 Dec  7 22:06 scsi-SATA_WDC_WD5000KS-00_WD-WCANU1350138-part1 -> ../../sda1
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  9 Dec  7 22:06 scsi-SATA_WDC_WD5000KS-00_WD-WCANU1351614 -> ../../sdc
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 Dec  7 22:06 scsi-SATA_WDC_WD5000KS-00_WD-WCANU1351614-part1 -> ../../sdc1
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  9 Dec  7 22:06 usb-_Patriot_Memory_07990908944E537C-0:0 -> ../../sdb
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 Dec  7 22:06 usb-_Patriot_Memory_07990908944E537C-0:0-part1 -> ../../sdb1

vol_id /dev/sdi1

ID_FS_USAGE=filesystem
ID_FS_TYPE=reiserfs
ID_FS_VERSION=3.6
ID_FS_UUID=57c1ff78-442f-48a8-adf7-2c3126bff46c
ID_FS_UUID_ENC=57c1ff78-442f-48a8-adf7-2c3126bff46c
ID_FS_LABEL=
ID_FS_LABEL_ENC=

Thanks