LSI MegaRAID SAS 8888ELP compatibility

I purchased a used system on ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331342951974?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

it has a supermicro sas846el1 backplane installed and a LSI MegaRAID SAS 8888elp card with one cable going to the backplane.

is there a way to flash this card to make it work with unRaid or should i be looking for a different card?

thank you for your assistance

christopher

You should contact LSI and see if they have a firmware that will allow the card to act as an HBA card.  I know that megaraid cards need to be cross flashed to there host bus adapter counterparts.  For instance the 9240 is cross flashed to the 9211 in IT mode because they have the same chipset of LSISAS2008.  If you could find out what the chipset is you may be able to cross flash it to an HBA card but I would find out if anybody has done this with your card before you do anything with yours.

The LSI MegaRAID SAS 8888elp card is based on the LSI SAS1078 RAID on Chip. The 1078 is supported by the MPTSAS driver. This may limit you to 2TB drives. This limitation may be reason enough to purchase a newer card with greater than 2TB support.

To answer your question, it might be possible to flash the card to IT.

Thanks guys. I'm a little new to hba cards. I have 3 and 4tb drives so I need something to read that. What is a recommended card?

I would recommend a LSI 9211-8i you need to flash it to IT mode but it is supported by LSI and if you have problems they are happy to help.  Buy from an authorized dealer listed on their site.  Amazon and ebay have stolen and counterfeit cards, I learned this the hard way.