Seagate Desktop HDD.15 ST4000DM000 4TB $134.99

• 5 weeks later...

BTW, the drives I bought (SAMSUNG D3 Station 4TB USB 3.0 3.5" Desktop External Hard Drive STSHX-D401TDB Bl) were able to pass preclearing while staying in the enclosures and connected via USB 2.0 to unRAID server. It was painfully slow (190+ hours one cycle!!!  :o at ~22 MB/sec) but it did work (except for some of the smartctl commands).

BTW, the drives I bought (SAMSUNG D3 Station 4TB USB 3.0 3.5" Desktop External Hard Drive STSHX-D401TDB Bl) were able to pass preclearing while staying in the enclosures and connected via USB 2.0 to unRAID server. It was painfully slow (190+ hours one cycle!!!  :o at ~22 MB/sec) but it did work (except for some of the smartctl commands).

Why not buy a cheap USB 3.0 card if whatever you're using to preclear them doesn't have it? With USB 3.0 they'll preclear at the same speed as a direct SATA connection.

Why not buy a cheap USB 3.0 card if whatever you're using to preclear them doesn't have it? With USB 3.0 they'll preclear at the same speed as a direct SATA connection.

Because, as I was told, unRAID does not support USB 3.0. At least, not unRAID 5.x.

Because, as I was told, unRAID does not support USB 3.0. At least, not unRAID 5.x.

Nor does version 6 for array drives.