I'm new here so apologies if I have chosen the wrong forum.

I have been given a never used HP DL380 G5 server 2.66GHz Dual-Core Xeon, 4GB Ram and I am looking at using it for unRAID. From what I have read the HP Smart Array P400 card cannot be used with unRAID.

I currently only have 3 x 1TB hard drives.

I am looking for a cheap 4 port sata controller card compatible with unRAID. I have looked through the compatible hardware list but unsure which card would be my best option. 

Budget is only currently limited to the £30 mark.

Cheers

Russell

have you tried the card in various modes?

Look in the card's bios if you can configure JBOD mode.

See if you can set AHCI mode.

Sometimes you can configure each drive as it's own RAID0 array.

In unRAID 5.0.6 I was pleasantly surprised that my HP B120i raid controller was detected in both RAID JBOD and AHCI mode.

Then there is unRAID 6 Beta 10.  That may have more advanced HP drivers.

Try each one and see if the drives show up.

EDIT: from my search it says it doesn't work either, however I would try and see if you can set a JBOD or AHCI mode and use the latest versions to see what happens. if inclined, you can try the HP variant of ESXi. Load that, see if it can see the drives as JBOD drives and load unRAID 5 under it and connect the disks as RDM managed disks. This method is a bit complex and not for the faint of heart.

if you are not familiar with ESX, then acquiring a used cost effective SATA controller would be the best bet.

Many thanks WeeboTech for taking the time to reply.

I have tried configuring each drive as it own RAID0 array, but due to a strange feature of the card it wont recognize none HP drives. Hence another reason for looking down the route of a new controller.

I am not familiar with ESX, so unfortunately that would of not been an option.

I am mainly looking to use the server for plex media server.

StevenD - Server will be located in the garage so noise is not a problem.

Hi, I am also very new to this site, so forgive me for that.

I am building....Well let´s say that I saw on youtube this one video, where this girl was making a server...so I immeadiately decided that I want unraid server too.

So I started building it:

So far I´ve got supermicro MB MBD-X10SLL-F-O, and Intel 4th gen i5 pros., 16 gb ecc 133 or 166 mhz memory...don't remember which...power  corsair cx 600.

case is Sharkoon 9t value edition

Now this is the tricky part: I´ve got 2 x icybox 5 in one hdd IB-555SSK (one can still be ordered for my case) boxes and to accompany that I had to order also supermicro add on card Supermicro AOC-SAS2LP-MV8 - Add-on Card AOC-SAS2LP-MV8

Now the main question here is; cause I´m new for unraid server, so my hdd box can eat 5 hdd´s, and I thought that I will make 3 decks, so in the end I would have 1st deck (5 x 4 tb drives) 2nd deck (5 x 5 tb drives) 3rd deck (5 x 6 tb drives) I already have 2 decks....now the connecting these drives to MB and how will the unraid system will understand the connection

I have the add on card wich includes 2 SAS to SATA  connection (since MB doesn´t provide enough connections for SATA cables and for 10-15 drives); If I make one cable that has one SAS end to 4 SATA ends, that means one drive from the deck must be connected with normal SATA cable to MB right ? does the unraid program understand this kind of connection between drives and MB or not.

The action here might be that if I decide to get that 3rd deck I need to buy another add on card to get my cabling right...?

I know this is complicated from my point of view, but would appreciate some techn. knowledge for this problem.

Hi, I am also very new to this site, so forgive me for that.

Welcome to the forum... and into the unRAID world!  :)

Now the main question here is; cause I´m new for unraid server, so my hdd box can eat 5 hdd´s, and I thought that I will make 3 decks, so in the end I would have 1st deck (5 x 4 tb drives) 2nd deck (5 x 5 tb drives) 3rd deck (5 x 6 tb drives) I already have 2 decks....now the connecting these drives to MB and how will the unraid system will understand the connection

I have the add on card wich includes 2 SAS to SATA  connection (since MB doesn´t provide enough connections for SATA cables and for 10-15 drives); If I make one cable that has one SAS end to 4 SATA ends, that means one drive from the deck must be connected with normal SATA cable to MB right ? does the unraid program understand this kind of connection between drives and MB or not.

Don't worry, unRAID will understand. Supermicro MB and Supermicro SATA card - excellent combination, which should not have any compatibility issues.

It does not particularly matter how your connect the drives. Your motherboard has 6 SATA ports, and your AOC-SAS2LP-MV8 will provide 8 more, and all 14 are pretty much equal from unRAIDs point of view.

Common wisdom says that it's better to connect the parity drive to the fastest port, but the difference is really minor. In fact, I personally don't see any difference at all.

The action here might be that if I decide to get that 3rd deck I need to buy another add on card to get my cabling right...?

Yep...  Your motherboard has 6 SATA ports, and your AOC-SAS2LP-MV8 will provide 8 more, total 14. You will need one more to reach 15.