Can't Get New UnRaid VM to Boot UP

I'm running ESXi 5.5 update 1 on a home grown server using an AsRock 970 Extreme3 R2.0 running latest BIOS (1.60) and an AMD FX-8320 cpu with 32gb of memory.

I cannot get UNRAID to boot up from a USB drive no matter what I do.

I have formatted this Sandisk Criuser Fit USB (and six other USBs) six ways from Sunday (FAT, FAT32, exFAT, 4GB USB, 8GB USB, 256mb USB).

• Dowload the unRAIDServer-5.0.5-i386.zip
  • Format an 8GB Sandisk Cruiser Fit with a volume name of "UNRAID"
  • Extract the contents of zip file to the Sandisk USB drive.
  • Right-Click Make_Bootable.BAT, run as admin to create the ldlinux.sys file on the Sandisk
  • Eject the Sandisk USB drive.

Create the VM:

• Create a new VM as 32bit Ubuntu (also tried 32bit 2.6 Linux and a few others)
  • Add USB controller
  • Add UNRAID Sandisk USB drive.
  • Boot from USB using EFI BIOS (Regular BIOS Doesn't work either even after making USB first in list)
  • Nothing.  VMWare says "I120: [msg.Backdoor.OsNotFound] No operating system was found."

Just for giggles, I created a VMDK using WinImage with the Sandisk USB as the source and it would boot fine from the virtual hard drive.

Where am I going wrong?

It's important to know that the vmdk is only responsible for booting unRAID, configuration, plugins and everything else reside on the passed through USB stick.

Yea, I was missing that small detail.  I got it to boot off of the VMDK and have the USB installed as well.  I still can't figure out why it won't boot off of the USB though.  I shut down my host, and it booted fine off the USB.  It just won't boot off of the USB while under ESXi.  Not sure what that is.  But at least I have a work around.

It's important to know that the vmdk is only responsible for booting unRAID, configuration, plugins and everything else reside on the passed through USB stick.

Yea, I was missing that small detail.  I got it to boot off of the VMDK and have the USB installed as well.  I still can't figure out why it won't boot off of the USB though.  I shut down my host, and it booted fine off the USB.  It just won't boot off of the USB while under ESXi.  Not sure what that is.  But at least I have a work around.

SpinnerRow - Sounds like plop might be an easy answer for you.  Scroll down this post and read the plop installation.  It's what I use and it works very well.

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=14695.msg138465#msg138465

Good Luck!

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...