Supermicro MB - No Boot, No Post, Flashing Green Light

jrdnlc

Hey guys, going crzy here trying to figure out what the problem can be.

I picked up a new 4u chassis and transfered everything over to the new case. Now the system boots up but no post or beep.

Nothing was changed hardware wise. Only thing that was removed was the psu and pci cards to  be able to transfer all the items.

I removed all the items and just left the MB connected and same issue. The system was working perfectly fine before.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Your link for youtube does not work.

What did you pull out or change in the 4U chassis. When you say it working perfectly before, do you mean the system you migrated into the 4U chassis or the 4U chassis?

Fixed the link. The system was working fine in the other chassis before migrating it.

It's impossible to get anything from that video. It's just showing a fast movement.

In your signature you have listed X9DR7 as your motherboard, but I don't find any that is called that. Its either a X9DR7-LN4F, X9DR7-LN4F-JBOD or a X9DR7-TF+, so I guess it's one of them and all of them have IPMI. The green light is the IPMI status light.

My guess would be that you didn't place the motherboard spacers on the right place and one of them is shorting the motherboard.

It's impossible to get anything from that video. It's just showing a fast movement.

In your signature you have listed X9DR7 as your motherboard, but I don't find any that is called that. Its either a X9DR7-LN4F, X9DR7-LN4F-JBOD or a X9DR7-TF+, so I guess it's one of them and all of them have IPMI. The green light is the IPMI status light.

My guess would be that you didn't place the motherboard spacers on the right place and one of them is shorting the motherboard.

The video shows how it starts up, shuts down and then starts again on it's own and stays running. No beep no post no display nothing. Not sure how much else I can show if it's not working? The green light would never flash green. It would always be a solid green no flashing or anything

The MB is a X9DR7-LN4F

The video shows how it starts up, shuts down and then starts again on it's own and stays running. No beep no post no display nothing. Not sure how much else I can show if it's not working? The green light would never flash green. It would always be a solid green no flashing or anything

The MB is a X9DR7-LN4F

Did you check if you have a spacer shorting the motherboard?

The MB is a X9DR7-LN4F

I did and there was an extra mb standoff so I removed it but it still wont boot up. I don't think it's my PSU because the system stays on.

The MB is a X9DR7-LN4F

I did and there was an extra mb standoff so I removed it but it still wont boot up. I don't think it's my PSU because the system stays on.

Not a good thing.  If you didn't wind up blowing your motherboard consider yourself lucky

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

The MB is a X9DR7-LN4F

Not a good thing.  If you didn't wind up blowing your motherboard consider yourself lucky

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I agree with squid here. You most likely destroyed your motherboard.

Agree.  A missing standoff generally won't cause a problem -- it just results in less support than you should have.

... but an extra standoff provides a direct path from ground to whatever it touches on the motherboard (in a place that is NOT designed to be grounded).  This may very well have simply destroyed your motherboard.  Depending on just what you shorted, it MAY have simply destroyed one of the power supply "rails" -- which a new PSU would resolve -- but it seems far more likely you killed the motherboard.

Anything is possible. The motherboard could also be fine.

If it were me, I'd pull the motherboard out, and get it working in the old case. Just enough to POST - MB, PSU, video card (if you need one). I once built a PC and had similar situation where it wouldn't boot, couldn't find anything wrong. Checked it outside the case and it worked, and then put it back in the case more carefully and suddenly it was working fine. Never did figure out why it didn't work the first time.

So don't lose hope. Pop it out and put back in the old case to check it out. Only then will you know.

Agree -- it never hurts to double-check things.  I'd also try a different power supply (or at least use a PSU tester on your current power supply to see if all of the voltages are present ... unfortunately inexpensive PSU testers don't test under load, but if you blew a specific bus they would show that).

Agree -- it never hurts to double-check things.  I'd also try a different power supply (or at least use a PSU tester on your current power supply to see if all of the voltages are present ... unfortunately inexpensive PSU testers don't test under load, but if you blew a specific bus they would show that).

I thought he said the psu from the old case didn't move over.and was working fine. Should be fine for a test. But the PSU in the new server is a suspect if the motherboard checks out..

I thought he said the psu from the old case didn't move over.and was working fine. Should be fine for a test. But the PSU in the new server is a suspect if the motherboard checks out..

I interpreted his comment to mean he took out the PSU from the new chassis so he could install his original power supply ...

... Nothing was changed hardware wise. Only thing that was removed was the psu and pci cards to  be able to transfer all the items.

i.e. "nothing was changed hardware wise".    But I could be misinterpreting that comment.

I already tried taking the MB out of the chassis to see if it boots and no luck. The new chassis didn't come with a PSU so i transfered the one i was using. I just cleared the CMOS and no fix.

I'm going to remove the cpu's and boot it up like that and see if i get any beeps. Here is a video of the boot up process. I turn it on it starts, shuts down on it's own seconds later and starts back up and stays on

Did you measure the power supply voltages (or use a PSU tester) to confirm it's not the power supply?

SOMETHING was shorted to ground when you installed it with an extra standoff -- while that likely damaged the motherboard, it could also have simply shorted a power bus and killed one of the power supply rails.    I'd at least measure the voltages with a multimeter -- or better yet just try a different power supply -- before sending back the board.