Stuttering VM performance with Nginx + RTMP

FAssan

Hi!

I have problems with stutters in my live stream when running a VM with Ubuntu server 16.04: Nginx + RTMP.

In the recording of the stream there are no stutters.

If I run the same HW in Windows and use Hyper-V for my Ubuntu I get no stutters.

I have been suspecting disk perfomance / iops but have tried all possible settings / combinations (even a ram drive for the vm) but have the same result.

Also done the whole cpu pairing pinning things, but when running the webserver it uses VERY little cpu so even if I got it wrong it shouldn't make a difference. Also I have no other VMs running on my host.

Everything seems fine on the surface.

Good copy perfomance through the unraid shares.

Cpu usage is low. CPU Mhz on host is always high since I choose performance mode in tips and tweaks.

Installation of operating systems goes fast.

My windows VM:s that I have played with a bit feels ok and get what I expect in performance.

So does anybody have any ideas what I should look at next?

one thing is I can't seem to get ovmf to see / boot from my disks but I should get enough performance from seabios to run nginx?

host cpu Intel xeon 2695 v3 2.3GHz.

Disk Cache 'vm.dirty_background_ratio' (%):2

Disk Cache 'vm.dirty_ratio (%):3

I have been, changed to passthrough a graphics card but got the same performance.

I have two streams from the server one clean and one transcoded with ffmpeg.

When I watch the streams the one thta has been transcoded laggs more so will look in to CPU performance.

My windows VM:s get good CPU performance in Cinabench though...