New to unRAID, fixed a major problem and want do document it for others

SM411

Hi, just started working on my first unRAID rig. Have been lurking here for some time though  ::)

I didn't really know where to post this, but I don't think it really matters as long as google and the search function finds it.

I started with unRAID recently, but I experienced some critical errors at the start. My unRAID rig is an dated gaming comp ( 2500k ) that had been unused for about 6 months. Setting up unRAID was a piece of cake, but not long after the problems started occuring.

One my rig was under load it crashed. It could be copying files to a share or installing a plugin. When there was no activity it could run for hours without problems. The top hits on google searches did not seem to correlate with my problems. As the unRAID system actually was working a bit I decided to look into setting it up correctly. I noticed that my BIOS had Intel Virtualization disabled, which I wanted to enable for better performance in VMs, so I got the rig connected to a monitor and went into BIOS. Then, when I saw the high CPU multiplier and remember that I did some experimental overclocking on the rig before i stuffed it away.

I disabled the overclock (Optimized defaults), and now the rig seems 100 % stable.

TLDR; If your rig crashed under load, check if your overclocked. It might cause issues.

Good catch, IMO overclocking is inappropriate for a fault tolerant storage server.

Which is why most veteran unraiders don't even think to ask about it when troubleshooting.

Now that we have VM's and the gamer communities interest, it's probably going to be a thing going forward.

I believe it's important enough that Limetech needs to add it into their troubleshooting mantra of reproducing the error without any extra software before declaring a bug. Something along the lines of restoring all CPU and memory timings and voltages to their stock settings.

I believe it's important enough that Limetech needs to add it into their troubleshooting mantra of reproducing the error without any extra software before declaring a bug. Something along the lines of restoring all CPU and memory timings and voltages to their stock settings.

It's a good point.  I've added it to Need help? Read me first!, in the additional guidelines (where it's a bit lost though!  too many words!)