Limetech backed guides

aRe-eYe-pEa

Every few months I come back to see what has changed.....  I find myself reading old threads that lead to a dead end.  Please stop it!  There shouldn't be 7 ways to do the same thing or variations in what is to be expected from unRAID.  When I write code 1 = 1 not 1+2-2 = 1 or .5+.5=1  Part of the problem with unRAID is all the variation and different guides on how to get things to work with the current beta....  This copy part of my code and it "should work" would be better off stopped by Limetech.  I appreciate the help that fellow users are giving knowledge that I don't have and help to fellow users but, it leads to many issues that are blamed on unRAID.  I understand that there will always be 7 ways to get to the same destination...  Wouldn't it be better if Limetech made a guide from start to end?  Like, you want to run unRAID v5.04 and have plex server running?  Use this Limetech sponsored guide..... and at the end it works.  Thoughts?

Nor do they have the responsibility for the plugins.

With that said, they do have a responsibility to update the core documentation to provide current information. Hopefully with the release of 6.0 a refresh of the wiki can be completed to bring it up to date.

As for plugins, it's the plugin creators who "own" them and support them, and will provide information on how to install them.

Asking LT to own the plugin process is like asking Microsoft to support Adobe (and every other) product installation on Windows and provide guides. Not going to happen. :)

• 4 weeks later...
With that said, they do have a responsibility to update the core documentation to provide current information. Hopefully with the release of 6.0 a refresh of the wiki can be completed to bring it up to date.

Well there is no indication that that is happening right now.  Have they ever mentioned a refreshed Wiki for v6?

Well there is no indication that that is happening right now.  Have they ever mentioned a refreshed Wiki for v6?

V6 is still in beta, and there will be changes made before it is final. When it is released, the wiki should get updated.

Yes, they have mentioned it, but have been too busy so far.

• 6 months later...

Please see Wiki editors needed, which is an attempt to bring the wiki up to date.  LimeTech has been working on part of the wiki, their part, but by far, most of the wiki is community generated.  Please consider helping out!  If you don't want to write or edit, we need other users to find and point out what is old or wrong or poor.

Have you looked lately?

We have updated the unraid 6 manual (see the link signature).  Lots of new information, visuals, and more. Its still a work in progress, but a lot is there.

And let's not also forget there is help text in the webgui as well.

Yeah, pretty unfair to put the blame on documentation issues when the software is still labeled 'beta', not even in 'release candidate' stage yet.

Despite all that, I've found a couple of pretty thorough documentation that guided me from a v5.0.6 system to v6 beta 15 less than 2 weeks ago. So I've managed to upgrade my v5 machine without any issues to the latest v6 beta and have enjoyed the advantage of xfs, preemptible kernel, redundant cache drive and dockers (: