Tretflix - A Usenet Appliance

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That 'debug' message is in the Maraschino log file.  Nothing related in the CouchPotato long file.

Next technical question... I'd like to resize the Tretflix image. 

I ran...

truncate -s40G /mnt/vmdisk/tretflix/Tretflix-v1.3_x64-NAS-disk1.raw

which increased the image size.

Now, how do I get the VM to utilize the extra space?

I dont have any problems with shares.

I do have a problem with Plex being visible outside my LAN - my port forwarding doesnt seem to work. Same hardware worked before the move to unraid6.

SOLVED:

port fowarding issues solved! Silly me.

I have a BT HomeHub 3 modem with my Router on the DMZ of the modem as the router has better funtionality.

However, the Modem dmz is by Name not IP address. When I upgraded the Router s/w, the name changed!.

Might explain why my openvpn server  doesnt work as well!

I don't have any.  What ever sickbeard finds and sends to sabnzbd gets downloaded to the cache and processed.  I had issues with nfs but all shares are cifs now.

I'm still trying to get up to speed on share types, regarding advantage/disadvanges, capabilities, etc, so please forgive a dumb question.

why cifs?  How would one set this in unRAID?  is it possible to use cifs with windows as well as linux?

thanks

Here is what I did:

I downloaded the Tretflix appliance to my Mac

"extracted" the ova image - tar xvf Tretfilx.ova

converted the vmdk disk image to raw-format using VBoxManage - VBoxManage clonehd Tretflix....-disk1.vmdk Tretflix...-disk1.raw -format RAW

compressed the raw file and transferred it to the unRAID box

extracted the compressed raw file and created a very simple cfg file:

name = "Tretflix"
bootloader = "pygrub"
memory = 4000
vcpus = 8
disk = [ 
'phy:/mnt/cache/Xen/Tretflix/Tretflix-v1.3_x64-NAS-disk1.raw,xvda,w',
]
vif = [ 'mac=00:16:3e:01:01:02,bridge=br0' ]
bootloader = "pygrub"

when starting the vm i could not attach to the console session - xl console Tretflix did not work correctly

but I checked what the ip of the vm was and was able to connect to the ssh session

then the wizard kicked in and i configured my system with several apps (couchpotato, sabnzbd, sickbeard, plex, transmission)

this worked like a charm and I added my unRAID share as a cifs storage and now I have all downloads going to my unraid share with all the relevant applications running in the Tretflix appliance -> awesome

Is there anything a bit easier for getting this setup as a VM in unRAID v6b4?  I don't have a mac, and don't fully understand the syntax you use above, so I'm hesitant to try to replicate this using a windows machine.

With that said, I'm really wanting to give this a try.  My Arch install is buggy and this sounds easier to get up and running.

Thanks.

I used the vbox converter as mentioned perviously. I also used a mac but it is available for windows too....

https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

re your other question: CIF shares are samba ie windows shares - works nice and easy!

from the steps above:

1) you need to extract the VMDK disk image from Tretfilx.ova. In linux you would usethe command: "tar xvf Tretfilx.ova" to do this. I think 7-zip in windows can extract it?

2) convert the VMDK file to raw by using VBoxManage - "VBoxManage clonehd Tretflix....-disk1.vmdk Tretflix...-disk1.raw -format RAW"

3) copy to a directory on your cache-only domains share on the unRAID box

(mine lives at /mnt/cache/domains/tretflix)

4) create a simple tretflix.cfg file. Mine is using 3.5GB ram (adjust to suit)

name = "Tretflix"
bootloader = "pygrub"
memory = 3608
vcpus = 4
disk = [ 
   'phy:/mnt/cache/domains/Tretflix/Tretflix-v1.3_x64-NAS-disk1.raw,xvda,w',
   ]
vif = [ 'mac=00:16:3e:01:01:02,bridge=br0' ]
bootloader = "pygrub"

5) you can then use xenmanager to add this to extentions tab (dont autostart until you are happy!) (see announcements forum for Beta4 for syntax)

6) setup treflix by starting it manually (see tretflix.com) - I can help you if you get stuck

Hi,

I bought a lot of hardware and while i'm waiting for it to arrive, I'm planning how i'll build my Unraid with VMs.  The server will be in a remote location with 200Mbps bandwidth speed and i plan to use It to stream PLEX to me at home.  The server will have 30TB storage array at first.  I want to separate as much as possible the array with the "services", so I want to use VM for services.  Maybe I will also use it for web server (in a VM too).  I'll have 10 Dedicated IP Address at this remote location, I hope I can use them seperately in VM using a single NIC Interface (?).

The hardware is a Xeon E3-1240v3 with 32GB RAM ECC on a X10 series Supermicro Board.  Hard disks are all WD RED 3TB and 2 x 4TB Green (as a Parity + Cache).

I want to get your input on some details regarding Tretflix VM hardware allocation to maximise the use of the CPU and ressources.

I'll probably have 1 Tretflix for Download and 1 for Streaming with Plex.

Tretflix Downloading VM :

RAM ?

Virtual Hard disk Size ?

Processors ?

Tretflix PLEX server :

RAM ?

Virtual Hard disk Size ?

Processors ?

Fill in the "?" as what you think should be the best.  I guess PLEX VM need more CPU horsepower in case they are multiple Transcoding... Downloader need also CPU for PAR repair and Extracting...  PLEX will have at least 2000 movies and 500 TV shows, so the Database will be big... I guess the more big the VHD is, the best it is ?  We always store that on the Cache Drive ? Will that mean it will be copied to the User Shares by the mover at night ?? (New to Unraid, didn't understand it all).

Did you use NAS edition of Tretflix or the standalone ?  I guess NAS edition if I want to mount the Unraid User Shares from Dom0 ?

Thanks for the help, it's a fun project :)

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone had any issues with tretflix being corrupted through download?

I am attempting to download the NAS version and unpack it to be used with UNRAID however I keep getting errors through the process.

I used unraid to unpack the OVA file, then 7zip to unpack the OVA.

Using the following commands I get these results:

c:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox>vboxmanage clonehd Z:\Tretflix-v1.3_x64-NAS\T
retflix-v1.3_x64-NAS-disk1.vmdk Z:\Tretflix-v1.3_x64-NAS\Tretflix-v1.3_x64-NAS-disk1.raw -format RAW
0%...
Progress state: VBOX_E_FILE_ERROR
VBoxManage.exe: error: Failed to clone hard disk
VBoxManage.exe: error: Could not create the clone medium 'Z:\Tretflix-v1.3_x64-NAS\Tretflix-v1.3_x64-NAS-disk1.raw'.
VBoxManage.exe: error: VMDK: Compressed image is corrupted 'Z:\Tretflix-v1.3_x64-NAS\Tretflix-v1.3_x64-NAS-disk1.vmdk' (VERR_ZIP_CORRUPTED)
VBoxManage.exe: error: Details: code VBOX_E_FILE_ERROR (0x80bb0004), component Medium, interface IMedium
VBoxManage.exe: error: Context: "int __cdecl handleCloneHardDisk(struct HandlerArg *)" at line 743 of file VBoxManageDisk.cpp

vsixtyfour: I did not had that problem.  I'm on a Mac, but I still use VirtualBox and did not experiment that error.  What I did was to Import the OVA inside Virtual Box (with the menu File, there is a import).  I then Point to the OVA and I choosed to use a vmdk, then when completed, I ran the command to convert it to RAW.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I don't know about tretflix, because I installed Ubuntu from scratch.  But in that guide there is a disclaimer which is very crucial.

For it to work, the boot partition has to be the last partition. In my case it was the first and I had to take additional annoying steps.

First I had to make the image file larger, and then I had to boot the Ubuntu live disk as a vm with the image file mounted as a secondary disk, connected to it through vnc, used gparted to move the second and the third partitions to the end of the disk. And finally then I could expand the boot partition. It was annoying and definitely not as straightforward as these online guides made it sound to be (most of the guides use a few shell commands to do the whole thing because the boot partition is the last partition)

Hi guys,

I have tretflix running under beta 5a at the moment and my Plex library filled up the 30gb virtual disk pretty quickly so I tried moving it off the virtual disk, and onto my cache drive. I followed this guide http://smyl.es/how-to-move-plex-metadata-and-index-data-to-new-driver-andor-directory-location/ and managed to get it copied over and Plex up and running with all my database in tact. The only problem is, I can't get it to scan in new files.

When I checked the Scanner Log files I found this

Jun 02, 2014 02:58:09 [0x7f2265e94740] DEBUG - Opening 20 database sessions to library, SQLite 3.8.0.2, threadsafe=1
Jun 02, 2014 02:58:10 [0x7f2265e94740] ERROR - SQLITE3:10, 15, locking protocol
Jun 02, 2014 02:58:10 [0x7f2265e94740] ERROR - Database corruption: sqlite3_statement_backend::prepare: locking protocol for SQL: PRAGMA cache_size=4000

This lead me to find a post on Plex forums http://forums.plex.tv/index.php/topic/82072-placing-database-on-nas/

Here, Mark asks about which mounting protocol he was using because it requires locking support. I'm not sure exactly what that is but when I see that in my error message so I assume that's where my issue lies.

I have my unraid shares mounted via a private smb connection and have no issues sending files from sab, etc across.

I tried adding shares under public nfs but received "Access denied, share access is restricted or share not found on the host".

Can anyone help?

Thanks

• 1 month later...

need some help

it is somewhat related.

Windows 8 machine

using vmplayer to run tretflix

I have a external usb drive D: and want to use this drive for tretflix. I have shared it using vmware but I am having trouble figuring out how to mount it and get the aps to see it.

it is drive d: and named it usenet

• 2 months later...

I need some assistance if anyone is willing and able, I recently setup my unraid server and working on getting this setup as it seemed like a good option was through VM and seems this should in theory make it quick and easy haha.

I have been following the ironic badger guide and using the info in this thread together to get this setup, I converted the image to raw it's on my cache drive, I am using the cfg info in this thread except editing location of file only, but when I try to create it I get errors from errors.

here is my cfg

name = "Tretflix"

bootloader = "pygrub"

memory = 4096

vcpus = 4

disk = [

'phy:/mnt/cache/VMs/Tretflix.raw,xvda,w',

]

vif = [ 'mac=00:16:3e:xx:xx:xx,bridge=br0' ]

and here is the errors

': lexical errorconfig parsing error near '

it appears to be the spaces or new lines, I created the file with notepad ++ and it should not have extra characters but who knows maybe I am still missing something.

any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.