Option for recycle bin

• 10 months later...

I'm put V6 on my new HP Microserver.  Everything looks great but still missing is a recycle bin.  I've seen many request it, and most NAS OS have them, including Synology.  It would be great if you could turn it off and on for individual shares too.

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=5446.0

I had the plugin working on V5 and it saved me on a few occasions where my computer didn't keep up and I accidently deleted a folder I didn't want to delete!

Can this be done LimeTech?  Even if it's a properly supported plugin.

To be fair, I suspect the limited or delayed interest in implementing the solution from that Recycle Bin thread is that it is ONLY for Samba, doesn't work locally or on anything else (like NFS), as far as I know.  While it would be relatively simple to implement, it would have to come with caveats.  A full implementation would be a LOT more effort and require a lot more testing.

On the other hand, a Samba solution is all many users need, for managing file access by their non-technical family members and friends.

Good point I never thought of that.

I suspect but have no proof that the vast majority of people on unRAID as CIFS consumers. I also think AFP has a recycle bin option.

My vote is this should become a roadmap item for 6.1

I'm running the vfs_recycle thingie for a couple of years now, it saved me from a few accidents :)

Downside is when you delete stuff on purpose, it also gets caught in the recycle bin, and since it's on a per disk basis, you have to regularly walk through all recycle bins on all disks and empty them manually. Or only empty the recycle bin on the user share, i never know exactly... so yes it is confusing :)

This is what i am using (/boot/config/smb-extra.conf)

# Documentation http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/manpages-3/smb.conf.5.html
# Forum topic http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=5446.0
# Parameters: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=5446.msg135527#msg135527
# %S Samba share name (which in unRaid equals the user share name), eg. Storage
# %P User share full path, eg /mnt/user/Storage
#
# To apply changes execute: /etc/rc.d/rc.samba restart
# If the single custom bin solution is chosen, create the dir manually, and grant it g+rwx permissions
max protocol = SMB2
[global]
vfs objects = recycle 
    recycle:repository = /mnt/user/.Recycle.Bin/%P
        recycle:keeptree = Yes
        recycle:touch = Yes
        recycle:versions = Yes
        recycle:exclude = *.tmp
        recycle:exclude_dir = .Recycle.Bin

I suspect but have no proof that the vast majority of people on unRAID as CIFS consumers. I also think AFP has a recycle bin option.

Another vote for 6.1

Also if we go this route I really want it to work for all sharing methods.

Another vote for 6.1

Ideally yes but that puts it out of 6.1 because there is a big difference between turning on an upstream feature and developing a new one from scratch.

• 2 weeks later...

Another vote for 6.1

Ideally yes but that puts it out of 6.1 because there is a big difference between turning on an upstream feature and developing a new one from scratch.

This is a fair point. Perhaps this should be a two phase process. Phase 1 implements it using upstream features where possible, and Phase 2 improves it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...