New Custom Corsair 300R Unraid Server build

I purchased unRAID Server Pro-2 on February 15th, 2013. During this time, you could purchase  unRAID Pro for $149 to two licensed USB Flash Drives. The Pro version purchase was for two Flash Drives each drive had an unRAID license for 25 Drives which had huge possibilities (the Pro version is no longer limited to 25 drives). I created my first unRAID server in old full size customized case (it has seen better days) and kept adding drives as needed (I have 8 data drives + 1 Parity Drive). I have been using my unRAID as NAS for my personal pictures, videos, and music.  The unRAID was mostly a utilitarian device was not paid much attention by my friends or family.  Once I saw the newest version 6 of Unraid my mind was blown away by the versatility and the many FREE options available. I say go for it, you will not regret it!!!

OS at time of building: unRAID 6.2.4. Pro

CPU: 2.8 GHz Intel i7-860 with Corsair H80i Water Cooling

Motherboard: Gigabyte - P55A-UD7

RAM: 16GB Corsair XMS DDR3 1600

Case: Corsair 300R

Drive Cage(s): (3) iStarUSA BPN-DE350SS-RED 3 x 5.25" to 5 x 3.5" SAS/SATA 6.0 Gb/s Trayless Hot-Swap Cage

Power Supply: TX950W

SATA Expansion Card(s): (2) SYBA SI-PEX40064 PCI-Express 2.0 Low Profile Ready SATA III (6.0 Gb/s) Controller Card

Cables: (17) Low Profile Straight to Right SATA III Cable

Fans: (2) 140mm plus (2) 120mm silent fans

Parity Drives: (2) 2TB Hitachi Ultrastar 7K3000 - Model: HUA723020ALA641

Data Drives: (1) 2TB Hitachi Ultrastar 7K3000 - Model: HUA723020ALA641), (1) 2TB Hitachi Deskstar 5K3000 - Model: HDS5C3020ALA632, (2) 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 – Model:  ST2000DM001-1ER164, (2) 2TB Seagate Barracuda Green (AF) – Model: ST2000DL003-9VT166, (2) 2TB Toshiba 3.5" DT01ACA – Model DT01ACA200, (1) 2TB Western Digital Green – Model: WD20EZRX-00D8PB0, (1) 750GB Western Digital Caviar Black – Model: WD7501AALS-00E8B0, (1) 750GB Western Digital Caviar Green – Model: WD7500AACS-65D6B0, (1) 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black – Model: WD1002FAEX-00Z3A0, (1) 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black – Model: WD1001FALS-00E8B0

Cache Drive: (2) OCZ/Toshiba Trion SSDs – Model TOSHIBA-TR150.

Total Drive Capacity: 17 Drives

Primary Use: Data storage, media streaming to HTPC and other computers, VMs, Dockers

Dislikes: My motherboard does not support IOMMU thus I cannot use high-performance video cards for gaming directly on the Unraid box. Also, although quiet fans installed CPU freq not stepping down thus increasing fan speed noise. I set up my first Unraid version 4.7 three years ago and just added drives when needed. I did not want to fiddle with the Unraid and break it. But now I have built a new box and installed v6.2.4 and want to do more. I dislike that I am not as Linux savvy and therefore must spend countless hours researching and trying things that at the end do not work for me.

Add Ons Used: Spaceinvader.one YouTube tutorial videos ;), Plugins, Dockers (once understood) & VMs.

Future Plans: Install a sync plugin or docker that will backup my data from Unraid server 4.7 to 6.2.3, install SABnzbd (find a tutorial on how to setup after installation), install Personal Cloud, install Open VPN, connect my Amiga 4000 to the Unraid, build a second box for my first Unraid server and upgrade from 4.7 to 6.2.4.  Unraid version 6 offers so much that I was inspired to build this server. I am very excited to tell everyone I meet to get Unraid! The only downside is that there is a learning curve but well worth it.

Boot (peak): 232 W

Idle (avg):232 W

Active (avg): 239 W

Light use (avg): 232 W

I purchased a Mid-size Corsair 300R case on sale but could not find images for a customized case using the 300R for an Unraid build so I decided to build my own. After removing the front fascia, I had to cut the front fan metal cover. I used a Dremel tool and an aluminum flat bar (1 inch wide by 1/4 inch thick) to create a bracket to hold the enclosures. I used blue painting tape to mark the location of the screws and verified the drive enclosures were leveled. I really like the way it turned out, efficiently compact. I upgraded my system two years ago so I used my old hardware to build my new Unraid 6.2.4 box. I will attach more pictures for those interested.

00_Corsair_300R_Final_Three_Quarter_View.jpg.585ae1be2b99a309790ca02fe6042e7d.jpg

• Upvote 1

Nice job on the dremel work, and custom brackets.  You made those drive enclosures look like they were made to fit there.  Your case, and choice of drive enclosures makes for a very attractive looking system.  If/when I rebuild my own server I'd love to go with some hot swap enclosures like that.  Currently I have to pull out drive cages every time I need to pull a drive, which thankfully isn't often.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Nice Pducharme! I bought a Lian Li case years ago but the power button came busted (a known issue) but they refused to send me a replacement. I jerry rigged a new button but not  to my satisfaction and promised never to buy another Lian Li case. I am planning to mod that old Lian Li case to replace my Unraid version 4.7. Both of my Unraid boxes are down and I am trying to get them going again. The one in the picture has been down for more than a year. Good luck with yours!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...