[Appliance] unRAID KVM - Arch Linux (2014.07.18) self maintained (adv users)

binhex

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have KVM/QEMU running on beta 2, I can post the packages and config files I have to run VM later if some one want to try, it's including bridging as  well.

Tom have some modules missing for passtrough ..... but install and run a VM works just fine with out passtrough ;-)

//Peter

This is a great idea... I wonder who thought of that?

He must be one smart fellow.

In case others want to think of / start creating VM Appliances...

Creating a VM Appliance 101

1. Create a Ubuntu (or whatever Linux Distro you want) image file (img, cow, vdmk, vhd, etc.)

2. Install Ubuntu (or whatever Linux Distro you want).

3. Install App(s) (Example: "apt-get install owncloud.")

4. Poweroff VM.

5. Upload VM Appliance image and simple VM cfg to your google drive or dropbox.

6. Create thread with overview of which OS you used, which Apps you installed in the Appliance, instructions on how to access the GUI / WebGUI and links to the VM Appliance in google drive / dropbox.

7. If you really wanted to put it over the top... Post any number of 1,000+ links to the Apps website, forum, or blogs for how to use / install / configure that App (or Apps) in the same OS you used if the user needs additional help / info.

Schoolbusdriver I take it that's sarcasm :-) don't mean to step on anybody's toes

100% total sarcasm!

I posted how easy it is to create VM Appliances in the other thread and what needs to be done (which you took a did an amazing job with) so we all can stop arguing with the 3 or 4 people who wet their pants with the thought of having the option / choice of installing VMs on unRAID 6.0 or not.

Great job on the layout / format.

I had actually started creating the VM 2 days ago thus why it's KVM and not xen :-) unfortunately Tom rolled the dice and xen came out first, just my luck

Couple of other things you want to include / add:

1. If it's a Xen VM Appliance... Whether or not it's a PV, HVM, PVHVM or PVH guest. (If you enabled some / all of the Paravirtualized Drivers or not)

Example: pfSense cannot run in PV mode, it would be a PVHVM. For now this doesn't make sense to most people but over time they will quickly learn what that is / means.

2. If it's a KVM VM Appliance... Whether or not Virtio (Paravirtualized Drivers) are installed or not.

3. In the KVM / Xen cfg file, assign a "random" VNC port for the VM Appliance and show what that is (users could change this but we have to take the noobs into account who do not know / want to learn).

3. Is the VM Appliance running a Linux Desktop or not and if so, which one? Gnome, Unity, KDE, Cinnamon, Enlightened, etc.

4. Which Video Card drivers are installed / enabled? AMD, nVidia, Intel, Radeon, Nouveau, etc.

This really isn't an issue for console or a run of the mill Linux Desktop but if someone were to create a XBMC 12.3 VM Appliance like openELEC... it is probably best to have separate versions by Video Card for Video Hardware Acceleration purposes rather than trying to get all three to work in one.

5. VNC works fine an all but there are faster / better ways to remote control into a machine using QXL (Spice). Is it enabled in the VM Appliance along with VNC and what is the port?

6. Is SSH enabled or not?

7. Is a firewall enabled in the VM appliance, if so which ports are open?

8. CPUS

9. Memory

10. MAC Address

I'm sure we will come up with a few more but those are several that I believe we should add / use in this great template that binhex provided.

Epic  Post Peter! :) that's a lot of packages there hehe

It is and once Tom has a chance to look at it...

1. Decide if he wants to add all of that in a root ram file system or not.

The Disadvantage of KVM from Tom's point of view using a root ram fs... Lots of packages, lots of moving parts, lots of updates via Linux Kernel / all those packages. Not easy to manage / maintain and even harder when a root ram file system.

2. Whether he wants to go down the libvirt / Xen Toolstack / QEMU path for creating / managing / GUI / webGUI tools.

libvirt can manage both Xen, KVM and several other Hypervisors. Plus there are lots of GUIs / WebGUIs in development which we may eventually want.

Or we can leave libvirt out of it and use Xen's XL toolstack and execute the QEMU commands for KVM. Only a few GUIs and no WebGUIs out / in development.

Or we can have all three... libvirt, Xen XL toolstack / QEMU any people decide for themselves how they manage Xen or KVM.

There are pros and cons to each... Perhaps a discussion in another thread.

1. You probably want to include which OS Version the VM Appliance is using in the Title of the thread and in the template itself.

Arch Linux is a rolling release but for most Linux Distros... this isn't the case.

2. The versions of the application(s) too.

3. With all the apps in the VM Appliance running / enabled... What is the total amount of memory it's using? (I think this is going to shock a lot of people when they see how little it is)

binhex ,I just started up your file on beta2 ,and now I see the benefit of this instead of plugins!!

Need to read up how to build this kind of application VM  8)

Going to set up sabnzb to download to my cache disk.....

Can  AirVideo be installed ? that I'm going to work on......

//Peter

Just thinking the 32GB disk might be a bit small... some of those 60GB downloads for a whole season of a show in 720P bluray can really bung up the works.

Since the end target of this is a VM on unraid, why would that be an issue? The download directory can just be pointed at an array share.

Typically you'd have your incomplete folder on the virtual disk, so it needs to be as large as the biggest thing you might download would be.  If you used a mount for incomplete then it would be a real gong show reading the files from a mount and extracting to another mount on the same server.

Nice work!

I'll get this going and have a look at it, meanwhile we can work on adding compiled packages into a community repo so nobody ever has to do any compiling (except us). All the n00bs users have to do is pacman -Syu, and with the repo we configure in /etc/pacman.conf we can dictate the apps available from it...

This way, they don't even have to come preinstalled. This may or may not be a better method.

Thoughts?

Typically you'd have your incomplete folder on the virtual disk, so it needs to be as large as the biggest thing you might download would be.  If you used a mount for incomplete then it would be a real gong show reading the files from a mount and extracting to another mount on the same server.

I use LVM so all my VM Appliances are tiny.

You could accomplish what I do by having the VM Appliance mount a 100GB (whatever) image file and use it to download, unpack, repair, rename, etc. things. Then when it is completed, it copies over to your unRAID.

That way, you are not downloading, unpacking, repairing, renaming, etc. things over NFS or Samba.