Help designing 24 Bay low idle power build new to unraid)

m3ki

Oh, I see so this means

24 actual storage + 1 (parity) ?

No -- 23 actual storage plus 1 parity and 1 cache.

Gary,

So does this mean if I do 2 drives in cache for btrfs(mirror) I will only have 22 drives for data?

Ie 22 Data + 1 parity + 2 cache?

If this is the case, any news on when this can be lifted? (I think you did fix the issue with /devA---- /dev/z, naming of the devices )

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

... (I think you did fix the issue with /devA---- /dev/z, naming of the devices )

I didn't fix anything -- the change you're referring to was done by Limetech.

As for whether or not they have any plans to increase the number of drives supported by the array -- I have no idea.    I just know that if you look at the drive assignment page in v6, you can assign a parity drive, 23 data drives, and 1 cache drive => and you can't increase the number of cache drives unless you decrease the number of array drives.  The total of the 2 can't exceed 25 (i.e. if you want 4 drives in a cache pool, you can only have 21 drives in the array -- parity plus 20 data).    The array total can't be set higher than 24 ... even if you set the cache drive count to "none".

... Gary don't forget the load from the additional driver controllers.  I would love to see a sub 25 watt, 24 data+2 parity+2 cache=28 drive server. Do you think you can do it?

No, I don't think you could get that low with a loaded system.  I DID say "... not counting whatever your hard drives are drawing ..."  => which should really be "... whatever your hard drives and additional controllers are drawing ..."  [i'm going to edit that comment so anyone reading it in the future won't overlook that.]

The simple fact is that even a spun-down drive will draw between 0.5 and 1.5 watts, depending on the drive.  So with 24 drives, that 12 to 36 watts just for the drives ... not counting whatever the add-on controllers draw.  Realistically I think a "loaded" (24 drives) server is unlikely to idle below about 50 watts and likely even more, since a system with that many drives likely also has a lot of fans drawing a few watts each as well.

While I am waiting for the motherboard to arrive I decided to prepare the case and flash the raid controller cards.

2x m1015 - Flashed to IT mode with Latest P20 firmware + optional bios(so I can use staggered spinup)

width=1024http://i.imgur.com/LQP6z35.jpg[/img]

width=1024http://i.imgur.com/9PLlMoE.jpg[/img]

Replacing all noisy delta fans with high static pressure noctua 120mm PWM fans.

width=1024http://i.imgur.com/oFM8zCW.jpg[/img]

Noisy 80mm gone too

width=1024http://i.imgur.com/FmKJvPr.jpg[/img]

width=1024http://i.imgur.com/5x6INWv.jpg[/img]

While I wait, install the PSU too, it's a 660 Watt Platinum Seasonic

width=1024http://i.imgur.com/5jgPJlN.jpg[/img]

I have a rather dumb question, when I get my X10SL7-F motherboard, do I have to also flash the onboard SAS controller to IT mode as well?

If so how do I do that?

I think you will need to flash it - yes.  I would read through this thread http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=12767.0 it might contain what you need.  I thought I saw somewhere on these forums if not this thread that someone else had flashed the on-board SAS controller on the X10SL7-F but that is just from memory so easily could be wrong.

I have a rather dumb question, when I get my X10SL7-F motherboard, do I have to also flash the onboard SAS controller to IT mode as well?

If so how do I do that?

I didn't flash mine, and it works fine. I'm confused, because I've seen multiple references to flashing it, but at the same time, when Limetech actually had servers in stock for sale, that's the board they used, and I didn't see any mention of them flashing different firmware. I'd recommend hooking it up and trying it out before getting all worked up about flashing it.

If so how do I do that?

I didn't flash mine, and it works fine. I'm confused, because I've seen multiple references to flashing it, but at the same time, when Limetech actually had servers in stock for sale, that's the board they used, and I didn't see any mention of them flashing different firmware. I'd recommend hooking it up and trying it out before getting all worked up about flashing it.

I'll try to remember that and not mis-direct someone in the future.  Sorry about that m3ki :-[ .

Oh wow, my newegg box of 8hdds was pretty bad, but not as bad as yours!

When I shipped stuff from newegg to Canada boxes generally arrived in pristine condition, but couple of orders now to the US, man I have no idea what mail carriers do to them!

Oh wow, my newegg box of 8hdds was pretty bad, but not as bad as yours!

When I shipped stuff from newegg to Canada boxes generally arrived in pristine condition, but couple of orders now to the US, man I have no idea what mail carriers do to them!

They like to see who can kick/pass/drop them the farthest without the box just splitting open. ;D

In fairness to UPS, the Newegg box (full of 4TB hard drives -- about 8 of them if I recall correctly) was VERY poorly packed ... basically the relatively heavy drives were just bouncing around in the box, which was wrapped poorly as well.    It's been a couple years, and they've improved a LOT with their packaging.    Newegg WAS very accommodating at FedEx'ing me replacements for the drives (about half of them failed their initial testing, and given the condition of the box I didn't trust any of them) => they balked at first, but when I sent them a picture of the box (same one I posted above) they quickly changed their tune and were (a) very apologetic; and (b) FedEx'd me replacements that were VERY well packaged  :)

I'm dying to hear (pun intended) how loud/quiet your build will be... I have heard  these cases can be very loud... Will the new fans make it quiet? Like I have to put it in my bedroom quiet.

I think it's highly unlikely a 24-bay Norco is going to be "... put it in my bedroom quiet ..." unless it's in an insulated rack or cabinet => although clearly it depends to some extent on your tolerance of noise and just what level you consider "bedroom quiet."