5 Bay Drive Cage - in 3 5.25" Bays - $24

hernandito

AFAIK unraid doesnt support hot swap so what is the purpose of spending x3 to a drive cage, how often do you change your data disks?

Because you don't disturb the wiring on the back of the disk array when you change out a hard drive.  This is normally not much of an issue with three or four drives but when you have more drives than that, the wiring can become a rat's nest and it is almost impossible to change out a drive without disconnecting either the power or SATA cables to one or more of the other drives. 

You definitely want cages that allow easy swap without opening the server and touching any of the wire connections. It is so easy to knock something loose. When loose, the drive usually works for a while, and then the drive will drop off line and you'll be struggling to figure out why - is the drive is bad or is the cabling is bad. In an attempt to isolate the problem, you will find that every time you put you fat paws inside the case the problem changes in unpredictable ways. It is impossible to hold all the variables constant. Being able to swap a disk out without opening the case is an absolute necessity for my servers. Hot swap doesn't matter. I just want to be able to power down, pull a disk, insert a new one, and reboot. Should take less than 1 minute.

SEE HERE

This 5 in 3  is cheaper in Newegg

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817198058&cm_re=5_in_3_cage-_-17-198-058-_-Product

edit:

Bad reviews....  :( I have one and I am going to try it...

AVOID AVOID AVOID !!!!

What a piece of crap... you definetely get what you pay for for the hot-swap 5 in 3. The reviews were right. They drives dont engage the connectors inside half the time.

I wish I would have read the reviews before I ordered it....

I have some cheap Rosewill 4x3s that are I use with my backup server.

The latching of the drives is not so secure.

But if I insert them, and then, once locked in place, give each a little shove into the slot, the drives move an extra few mm. If I do that, the connections are rock solid.

Don't know anything about the cages you bought, but worth a try.

I have some cheap Rosewill 4x3s that are I use with my backup server.

The latching of the drives is not so secure.

But if I insert them, and then, once locked in place, give each a little shove into the slot, the drives move an extra few mm. If I do that, the connections are rock solid.

Don't know anything about the cages you bought, but worth a try.

I have experience with in-expensive cages that need a little coaxing... but this one is completely unacceptable...  No coaxing or anything.... This could be more harmful if you have intermittent or loose connections.  The IT guy who ordered it, said they were offering a $20 rebate... its obvious they know it's a horrible product and want to unload their stock.