Opentoe - 2nd unRaid build

This is to save my unRaid build and notes so it is easily referenced. Mostly for myself!  :P

If you have any questions regarding any of the hardware or components please ask away.

Below are links to some pictures if you are curious.

Most of the time using the latest version of UnRaid

Parity Drive: Western Digital Black 7200 rpm 4TB 64MB cache

Disk 1 thru 12: All 7200 rpm 64MB cache drives

Unassigned Drive: 2TB Western Digital Black

Unassigned Drive: 120MB Samsung 850 EVO SSD

Mainboard: Asus Sabertooth X79 8 6Gbps SATA ports available

Controllers: Two Supermicro AOC-SAS2LP-MV8

Controllers: Two Dell Perc H310 Flash to IT mode

Processor: Intel i7-3930k 3.5Ghz 130W 32nm

Memory: 32GB XMP RAM

Video: Nvidia GEFORCE GT610 1GB

CPU Cooler: Noctua DH-U9S

Flash: 32GB Sandisk Cruzer USB Stick

Case: Norco 4224 V2

Swapped out the industrial models for the slower ones. Needed to re-purpose the industrial's for something else anyway.

Picture1 - Replacement Fans on Middle Board

Picture2 - Stock Fan Board - 80mm Fans

Picture3 - CPU Fan Installed - Low Profile so it doesn't hit the case cover

Picture4 - Internal

Picture5 - Internal

Picture6 - Cables

Picture7 - Norco 4224 Backplane

Picture8 - Front of Case

Picture9 - Middle Fan Board with Different Model Fans

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I see you replaced two AOC-SAS2LP-MV8's with Dell Perc H310's flashed to IT mode.  I'm currently using one SASLP-MV8 in my current build but looking to upgrade my MB, CPU and ram due to v6 and offloading some tasks from my PC.  I'm wondering if I should also consider my controller?  Any insight into this?  Also, if I'm primarily running SABnzbd, Deluge, Sonarr and Emby dockers, any recommendations on current options that would be a nice upgrade to what I have now but not necessarily break the bank to get bleeding edge?  $500-750 is about all I'd like to spend.  Thanks!

I see you replaced two AOC-SAS2LP-MV8's with Dell Perc H310's flashed to IT mode.  I'm currently using one SASLP-MV8 in my current build but looking to upgrade my MB, CPU and ram due to v6 and offloading some tasks from my PC.  I'm wondering if I should also consider my controller?  Any insight into this?  Also, if I'm primarily running SABnzbd, Deluge, Sonarr and Emby dockers, any recommendations on current options that would be a nice upgrade to what I have now but not necessarily break the bank to get bleeding edge?  $500-750 is about all I'd like to spend.  Thanks!

I did an upgrade on my build and wanted the old hardware out and some new stuff in there. Just wanted it to be as fast as it could with the money I had. If there are any recommendations from me and you want to run lots of services then pile up and try to get all the memory you can. Can never have too much. With those Dell controllers I can write to the array using turbo mode at 112MB/sec sustained. Even if I stuck in a $4000 controller, I double I would see any improvement.

I did an upgrade on my build and wanted the old hardware out and some new stuff in there. Just wanted it to be as fast as it could with the money I had. If there are any recommendations from me and you want to run lots of services then pile up and try to get all the memory you can. Can never have too much. With those Dell controllers I can write to the array using turbo mode at 112MB/sec sustained. Even if I stuck in a $4000 controller, I double I would see any improvement.

Ok, so picking up one of those Dell controllers is probably a good idea as my current controller will limit my speed quite a bit.  Any insight on a MB+CPU combo that would give me at least 8 SATA ports and a CPU Passmark score above 3k?

EDIT:  Is this what I'm looking for:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PERC-H310-8-port-6GB-s-PCIe-SAS-SATA-RAID-Controller-Card-Dell-0HV52W-/262298636653?hash=item3d1237916d:g:cFwAAOSwFqJWkGd-

Also, does it use different cables than the SASLP?