How does everyone automate media downloading

JimPhreak

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those of you using usenet (looks like pretty much everyone), how do you go about configuring your setup to be sure it's secure?  Since I'm a torrenter currently it's easy because I have a VPN client on the Windows client I download all my torrents on.  However with usenet it seems like there is much more configuration needed since I need to configure a Usenet service provider (I'm going to use Astraweb to test this out), a Usenet client (Not sure which one to go with here), and an indexer (or multiple).

Since I'm so new to this, can anyone explain to me how you configure all this to work together and to ensure that all communication is secure?  I've read through some articles on lifehacker that kind of get you started on what to setup but doesn't get into the details that I'd want to know before I go this route.

P.S.  I think I want to incorporate Sonarr as it looks pretty sweet.

You do realise unless your a tin foil hat type of person then SSL connection to your Usenet connection is generally accepted as secure enough remember Usenet is not p2p, if however you want the extra protection then something like sabnzbdvpn might be of interest to you, shameless plug there :-)

and i thought i was the only to do shameless plugging...

It's my only defense i got left to your relentless creation of Docker applications(and world domination)  8)

BIN in lay man's terms what does sabvpn and deluge vpn do for me.

I understand the concept but i dont understand the implementation.

The Docker images delugevpn and sabnzbdvpn simply create a tunneled connection to your VPN provider (using openvpn) and then start the application, this means you then safely have JUST your applications data being sent down the tunnel without potentially exposing your host, it also means you can have multiple concurrent tunnels running (assuming your provider allows this) which you cannot do if tunneling from your host.

I've also added in Privoxy which also makes use of the connected VPN ,this allows you to send requests for sites that might be blocked by your ISP (index sites).

Edit - one other plus point to the above is i can be VERY strict with the firewall rules, as its only a single application, this is something i have done to prevent ip leakage when/if the tunnel was to go down.

I've used every usenet NSP and stuck with SuperNews (see my sig).

I have AW as a backup, but only as a block account.

Three questions ...

(1)  How reliable is SuperNews?  [i.e. do you ever actually use AstraWeb?]

(2)  What issues does AstraWeb have that cause folks to suggest not to use it?

(3)  Are there any significant content differences between the different UseNet servers?

BIN in lay man's terms what does sabvpn and deluge vpn do for me.

I understand the concept but i dont understand the implementation.

The Docker images delugevpn and sabnzbdvpn simply create a tunneled connection to your VPN provider (using openvpn) and then start the application, this means you then safely have JUST your applications data being sent down the tunnel without potentially exposing your host, it also means you can have multiple concurrent tunnels running (assuming your provider allows this) which you cannot do if tunneling from your host.

I've also added in Privoxy which also makes use of the connected VPN ,this allows you to send requests for sites that might be blocked by your ISP (index sites).

Edit - one other plus point to the above is i can be VERY strict with the firewall rules, as its only a single application, this is something i have done to prevent ip leakage when/if the tunnel was to go down.

Gonna be my next question on how your were preventing leakage.

To everyone this guy "binhex" pretty good with the puter stuff

SSL is enough for me, I'm just not familiar enough with how usenet works yet to understand that the only connection I'm making is from my server to the usernet server.  I wasn't sure if you needed to also secure your connection to the indexers.

The two indexers I use require HTTPS to browse & snag NZBs.

Another question ... How complete/current are the available TV shows via UseNet?    How long from when a new show is aired until it's available?

i.e. have you guys who are using SickBeard/SABnzbd completely disconnected from cable/satellite TV?

I've completely cut the cord for several years.  Most popular shows are available within an hour after airing.  I have SABnzbd scheduled to only download after 3AM EST and everything is usually available by then.

As for Usenet providers i use SuperNews unlimited & a block account at Tweaknews EU. The tweaknews block helps a lot with completing older downloads.

Another question ... How complete/current are the available TV shows via UseNet?    How long from when a new show is aired until it's available?

i.e. have you guys who are using SickBeard/SABnzbd completely disconnected from cable/satellite TV?

I've completely cut the cord for several years.  Most popular shows are available within an hour after airing.  I have SABnzbd scheduled to only download after 3AM EST and everything is usually available by then.

As for Usenet providers i use SuperNews unlimited & a block account at Tweaknews EU. The tweaknews block helps a lot with completing older downloads.

I cut the cord several months ago when Sling TV came out. OTA plus Sling for ESPN channels and my wife's mandatory HGTV / DIY fix. We are not a very TV-centric household though. Seldom bother with OTA except for the occasional sports. I bought HDHomerun so I could record OTA but haven't bothered to put much effort into it so far.

I cut the cord several months ago when Sling TV came out. OTA plus Sling for ESPN channels and my wife's mandatory HGTV / DIY fix. We are not a very TV-centric household though. Seldom bother with OTA except for the occasional sports. I bought HDHomerun so I could record OTA but haven't bothered to put much effort into it so far.

This sounds ideal except the one thing I can't get by cutting the cord is local sports (Yankees, Rangers, Knicks, etc.).  That is a big problem for me.

Alright I finally got my setup (NZBGet, DelugeVPN, Sonarr) running and I've configured Sonarr pretty much how I want things to be.  I've tested it and it works pretty well.  I just have two questions:

[*]Regarding PROPER releases of TV show episodes...How do I tell Sonarr to prefer an episode with PROPER in the title as opposed to one without it which most likely has some sort of error?

[*]Why would Sonarr not find an episode when I can see the exact episode I'm looking for if I manually go to the indexer (DogNZB for example)?

[*]Why are episodes of the same quality on Usenet larger in size than torrent files?  I'm used to DLing 720p-HDTV files between 600MB-1.5GB per episode but the ones of the exact same quality on Usenet are sometimes twice the size if not larger.

This sounds ideal except the one thing I can't get by cutting the cord is local sports (Yankees, Rangers, Knicks, etc.).  That is a big problem for me.

Are you within Antenna range?  HD Homerun and MythTV into unRAID box?

Why are episodes of the same quality on Usenet larger in size than torrent files?  I'm used to DLing 720p-HDTV files between 600MB-1.5GB per episode but the ones of the exact same quality on Usenet are sometimes twice the size if not larger.

because usenet requires par files to fix up missing articles, this is one of the downsides of Usenet, missing articles means incomplete files that cannot then be unpacked, so par files are used to fill in the missing articles and thus then allow you unpack the resulting file. torrent on the other hand has automatic error checking built in so there is zero chance of corruption, yes it is still possible to receive a corrupt file but its an exact copy of a corrupt file :-), other plus for torrents is generally no unpacking is required, as there is no benefit to splitting up the file into archives (not so for usenet).

ive been on both sides of the fence now, for me ive gone back to torrents after 6 years of using usenet, for these reasons:-

1. dmca issues are pretty much a non issue with torrents, yes torrent files can be removed but generally they arent and you always have magnet links.

2. incomplete downloads, this of course could be linked to dmca but i have seen quite a few downloads fail for usenet due to too many missing articles even with old content (extremeusenet provider), torrents again make this a non issue, yes you could have a torrent suddenly drop to zero seeds but its amazingly rare for this to happen, ive seen maybe 3 downloads fail due to no seeds, ive seen a hell of a lot more usenet downloads fail due to incomplete files than this over the same period.

3. torrents are cheap, ive just signed up for a year with a vpn provider which works out at £2 a month, other than that there are zero costs, usenet providers on the other hand can be a bit more, approx £4-5.

4. more content, this came as a big surprise to me but im finding significantly more content i want to download from torrents than i am from usenet, i use an automated way to download movies and im getting a lot more hits on torrent index sites than usenet.

there is of course the major concern over privacy with torrents that doesn't exist with usenet, but with delugevpn  im comfortable enough at the moment to carry on using torrents.

So everyone is paying roughly $15-$20 a month for usenet servers (primary & backup)?

Nope.  I use torrent and private trackers = no charge.  :)  SickRage allows you to automate the grabbing of tv shows, with lots of PT search providers already built-in.

So everyone is paying roughly $15-$20 a month for usenet servers (primary & backup)?

Nope.  I use torrent and private trackers = no charge.  :)  SickRage allows you to automate the grabbing of tv shows, with lots of PT search providers already built-in.

I wish I had invites to private trackers but I don't at this time.  If I did I might use torrents exclusively although I'm absolutely in love with Sonarr so far so I'd be hard to give that up.  However I could always just use that exclusively with torrents if I wanted to.

For CP users:

How have you all streamlined your qualities for your automatic movie searches?  I'm getting a decent amount of bad quality rips being downloaded as 1080p versions even though they are clearly rips or even worse with korean subs.  Just wondering how best to eliminate the false positives.

I wish I had invites to private trackers but I don't at this time.  If I did I might use torrents exclusively although I'm absolutely in love with Sonarr so far so I'd be hard to give that up.  However I could always just use that exclusively with torrents if I wanted to.

For CP users:

How have you all streamlined your qualities for your automatic movie searches?  I'm getting a decent amount of bad quality rips being downloaded as 1080p versions even though they are clearly rips or even worse with korean subs.  Just wondering how best to eliminate the false positives.

PM your details ill send you one.

just follow their rules and we wont get banned

Is private trackers better than usenet?

I find usenet to be more secure in hiding your own IP than anything torrent related. Private trackers can still be invaded by undercover and then through the torrents they can get everyones IPs. You cant do that with usenet since by nature it is not a peer to peer tracker.

For CP users:

In settings, under search/categories, I created an HD category and put in the following keywords:

Preferred: SPARKS, AMIABLE, GECKOS, ROVERS, SECTOR7, CiNEFiLE, Felony, CROSSBOW, BLOW, DAA, SiNNERS, STRATOS, TOPCAT, PSYCHD, VeDeTT, RUSTED

Required: bluray

Ignored: german, dutch, french, truefrench, danish, swedish, spanish, italian, korean, dubbed, swesub, korsub, dksubs, vain, hdtv, rc, r5, r5bd, chd, nlsubs, multi, web, WEB, WEB&DL, web&dl, RBG, RARBG

I subscribe to a few rss releases that post HD scene releases and add the movie to cp after it's released (on Android I check the rss feeds through inoreader about once or twice a day, if I see a movie I want, I click on the imdb link in the rss post, it opens the couch potato mobile app, select the HD category and send it to cp). 99% of the time I end up with the quality scene release