How does refreshing a page effect a parity check

Kode

I'm working on an alternate webgui but have some questions.

1) The ini files that get stored and read from, are they only updated when the webgui is hit?

2) What kind of effect will refreshing the data have on a parity check?

The reason I am asking is I can successfully kick off a parity check by posting to http://serverip/update.htm but it doesn't seem to refresh the ini files themselves, I can refresh and refresh my page as much as I want but it doesn't pick up that anything has happened.

If I hit the dashboard on the default webgui, then refresh mine the new values kick in.  Is there something in particular I need to hit to refresh the values?

Looking in the code, if I am reading it right, if a parity check is in progress it disables automaticly refreshing the page, I assume that is to avoid some kind of penalty that refreshing the pages causes to the parity check, how significant is it, and can it be lessened in some way as it would be nice to have an up to date completion percentage.

I'm working on an alternate webgui but have some questions.

Sorry, have to ask: why?  Do you mean a complete webGui replacement?  If so, again, why?  If you mean something like a "re-skinning", well that's something to talk about.

1) The ini files that get stored and read from, are they only updated when the webgui is hit?

2) What kind of effect will refreshing the data have on a parity check?

The reason I am asking is I can successfully kick off a parity check by posting to http://serverip/update.htm but it doesn't seem to refresh the ini files themselves, I can refresh and refresh my page as much as I want but it doesn't pick up that anything has happened.

If I hit the dashboard on the default webgui, then refresh mine the new values kick in.  Is there something in particular I need to hit to refresh the values?

Looking in the code, if I am reading it right, if a parity check is in progress it disables automaticly refreshing the page, I assume that is to avoid some kind of penalty that refreshing the pages causes to the parity check, how significant is it, and can it be lessened in some way as it would be nice to have an up to date completion percentage.

The 'dynamic' completion percentage is something we'll be adding (or should say, adding back).

Here's the problem with a general 'refresh': if we go and read the drive temps it typically causes the HDD to flush it's I/O queue and then drive it's r/w head to the inner cylinder to retrieve the rest of the SMART info you don't need.  As you might imagine this really kills the pipe-lined performance of parity sync/check.

Sorry, have to ask: why?  Do you mean a complete webGui replacement?  If so, again, why?  If you mean something like a "re-skinning", well that's something to talk about.

The changes I am making are probably too big for just a simple skin, I want to make it a bit more aesthetically pleasing and a bit more user friendly, it currently sits happily alongside the default webgui on port 8888 and it's no harm to give users a choice, also it will be a long time before there is full feature parity between the 2.

It's probably easier to show you.

If you have a cache drive with an appdata folder (and nothing else running on port 8888) use: https://bitbucket.org/Kode/unraid/raw/master/plugins/cerberus2-cache.plg

If you don't have a cache drive you can install it to the flash drive with: https://bitbucket.org/Kode/unraid/raw/master/plugins/cerberus2-flash.plg

Bare in mind this is very early on so it's in a pretty rough and ready state and I am still playing around with the design, but it should give you an idea of the kind of effect I am after, it also works quite quite nicely on a mobile.

The 'dynamic' completion percentage is something we'll be adding (or should say, adding back).

Here's the problem with a general 'refresh': if we go and read the drive temps it typically causes the HDD to flush it's I/O queue and then drive it's r/w head to the inner cylinder to retrieve the rest of the SMART info you don't need.  As you might imagine this really kills the pipe-lined performance of parity sync/check.

Yes, that would be very annoying, on the other hand having an accurate drive temperature during a parity check might be advisable given how hot the ambient temperature is currently, so is there a wait time you would recommend between requesting that info?