No disk devices with VM Manager

I have always used VBox, but decided to check out the VM manager.  No matter what I do, I cannot see any disk devices when creating a VM, either Windows or Linux guests.  They will boot with CD install ISOs, but the file-based virtual HDs do not appear.  checking /dev/ in the VM guest shows no disk devices either hd* or sd*.  The XML is pointing to the correct .img file on the cache drive.

Suggestions?

They add w/o error during the Windows pre-install, but no disk device ever shows up to install Windows to.

And as I said in the OP, no disk devices show up in /dev when trying a Linux guest install.

I'm a little lost because I and many others here have had no issues with this.  What Linux distribution were you trying to load?  Were the Windows/Linux OSes you tried to install 32-bit or 64-bit?

I'm a little lost because I and many others here have had no issues with this.  What Linux distribution were you trying to load?  Were the Windows/Linux OSes you tried to install 32-bit or 64-bit?

Me too... I've tried Win7 (32 & 64 bit) Slack 3.9, 13.37 and 14.0, RHEL 6.

I don't know any reason the file-based disk .img files are not attaching.  The only think I can think is I'm running with an Arecca 1882 controller (arcmsr driver) .... but the CD ISOs on the same physical array drives mount just fine.

FWIW, I hand-edited the XML and was able to get a Linux VM going by changing the file-based disk to a sata-defined address rather than PCI, and moved the CDRom address to unit 1.

Changed:

<address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x02' slot='0x04' function='0x0'/>

to

<address type='drive' controller='0' bus='0' target='0' unit='0'/>

Performance may suffer, but at least I have something running to work with.

I appear to be having a similar issue. I built my first VM last weekend (windows 10 preview) but it wasn't successful due to issues I had with my cache pool and MB. Long story on the MB, but I replaced it and expanded my cache pool and am now trying to create a new win 10 VM. I was able to successfully load the virtio drivers last weekend and have it display the virtual drive, but I've tried 10 times with my new install and can't get it to recognize anything. I used the stable version 8.1 and it was working. This time I have tried latest and stable and can't get anything to recognize.

I'm now questioning if the drivers are installing. I attached the message I get after each install and an updated diagnostic package.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

hydra-diagnostics-20150710-1805.zip

driver.png.ba75cd7a20889479f5956440c430a9de.png

• 3 weeks later...

I appear to be having a similar issue. I built my first VM last weekend (windows 10 preview) but it wasn't successful due to issues I had with my cache pool and MB. Long story on the MB, but I replaced it and expanded my cache pool and am now trying to create a new win 10 VM. I was able to successfully load the virtio drivers last weekend and have it display the virtual drive, but I've tried 10 times with my new install and can't get it to recognize anything. I used the stable version 8.1 and it was working. This time I have tried latest and stable and can't get anything to recognize.

I'm now questioning if the drivers are installing. I attached the message I get after each install and an updated diagnostic package.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I still can't get a windows install to load the drivers or recognize the virtual disks. Since I was successful previously, I'm curious if my VM installation is pointing somewhere different than I'm trying to install to.

Any thoughts appreciated.

I am running an Ubuntu VM perfectly fine, it just seems to be windows 10 I'm having problems with.

I'm having a similar issue trying to install Win7x64 and am getting a nag message about unsigned drivers cant be installed when trying to install the balloon driver. Any tips or a recommended driver. I'm using the Stable virtio-win iso.

You should still be able to install the driver.    I did and have encountered no problems.

I think the 3 of us having problems would agree that we should be able to load them without issue, but we appear to have something affecting our ability to load the virt-io drivers that others don't have.

I have tried to remove all VMs, turn off VMs in settings, removed all shares I was using for VMs. I can't get the virtIO drivers to load again no matter how many times I try.

The difference for my install is I WAS successful at one point, but them removed that VM because I needed to update my BTRFS cache pool and that required I switch out a defective MB. Since that point, I can not get a Windows VM created due to the inability to load virtIO drivers.

Is there any other configuration I could update, or remove, to start over and possibly get the virtIO drivers to load?

• 5 months later...

I am having the same problem. I had the sata in bios set to be IDE and thought this might be the problem. My 6 Sata ports are on 2 controllers, 2 on 1 and 4 on the other.  Maybe I need to put the drive on the other side...

I did the XML changes below, and installed a Win7 and an Android VM.  But if I edit to change USB devices, the XML needs to be fixed again.

FWIW, I hand-edited the XML and was able to get a Linux VM going by changing the file-based disk to a sata-defined address rather than PCI, and moved the CDRom address to unit 1.

Changed:

<address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x02' slot='0x04' function='0x0'/>

to

<address type='drive' controller='0' bus='0' target='0' unit='0'/>

Performance may suffer, but at least I have something running to work with.

• 3 months later...

This issue is affecting me as well while installing Win 10. Following the instructions, but no go. The first three drivers are found and appear to be installing, but when the last, viostor is selected, then no drivers are found. I did try unticking the "Hide drivers that aren't compatible with this computer's hardware", and installing the appeared Red Hat VirtIO SCSI controller driver, but nothing happens. It appears to be installing, but that's it - no drive, no error, no nothing. Tried different virtio versions.

Don't know if it's of any importance, but the VM on m.2 ssd drive.

unraid ver is 6.2.0-beta21