UnRaid failure. Not getting ip address

Hello,

I am not an expert on Unraid or Linux

I lost access to Unraid (i think it was older version 4.5) via browser and array was not available on the network.

I checked the console, got the root prompt.

Checked Ifconfig looks like no IP address on Eth0.

Checked /boot and its empty.

Pulled out USB stick and plugged into Windows PC. PC (tried a few) cant read the stick.

Originally I bought 2-pack so I have 2nd USB stick that I never used.

I am not sure how to pull logs or diagnostics.

Also i dont understand how i would get prompt if USB stick is corrupt?

What troubleshooting steps I should take?

unRAID cannot be booted from an unreadable flash drive, so it must have been working when you booted with it, but gotten corrupted since.  Once it can no longer be read, then networking will fail, since the networking config is on the flash drive.  So you would still have a console but not much else!

You could try reformatting the stick in Windows (FAT format), then re-preparing it with whatever was on it, assuming you have a backup of the flash drive.  You would still have to run make_bootable on it.

Right now, your only way to save the syslog is to save it to an array drive, *if* the array is up.  If Disk 1 is available, you would type the following:

cp /var/log/syslog /mnt/disk1/syslog.txt

You won't be able to access it however, until you have a working flash drive to reboot unRAID with.  But once you can get to it, that syslog should have a history of what went wrong with the boot drive.

Things are looking better.. Array is UP but i dont understand what happened.  I did try USB stick to a few PCs and none were able to even read it while UnRAID was booting but had no config.. I would get root prompt but it would not even ask me for password.. none of the drives would mount.. network interfaces would not get IP.. /boot dir would be empty etc..

I tried a few other PCs and tried again (did not even see the USB before) SanDisk repair tool and USB suddenly came to live on Windows PC. I was able to see all the files and was able to copy (make backup) of the USB drive.

I plugged USB into Unraid and it booted up no issues..

I am guess my USB stick is failing

attached is syslog

I have a second USB stick and key that I got in 2 pack. If I copy the files on it and use that will it just work?

BTW thank you for your support Rob.

syslog.txt

I was a bit shocked to see you are running v4.6!  That means you not only can't correctly use drives larger than 2.2GB, but you can't correctly use any 4K sector drives (which is just about all modern drives).  How's that horse and buggy holding up for you?  ;)  Once your system is working fine again, please do read An important message!

Your CPU does appear to support 64 bit (even supports VT-x), so it should run v6, but will probably not be very fast.

I don't see anything particularly wrong.  At boot, there were 2 drives attached by USB.  One was an unidentified 8GB device with one partition that was disconnected almost 4 minutes after booting.  The other is a 1GB Sandisk Cruzer Mini with one partition.  The syslog does not make clear which is the unRAID boot drive, but I assume it's the Cruzer Mini.

With v6, flash drive replacement is easy, and yours does sound flaky.  The second unRAID boot drive should work fine, once the files are copied to it, and it's properly prepared.  I can't remember if make_bootable had been introduced by 4.6, so you may have to manually run syslinux on it the old way.

yes.. that is why i loved unraid.. "set it and forget it"  hehe.. i mean it did what i needed but i know its time to upgrade. just never got it.  Cruiser min is the boot usb.

I do have slower CPU which i did not think would work well on v6 but maybe for basic deployment should be ok..

So what are my options to get from v4.5 to v6?  is it just as simple of getting new software on boot usb drive? whats the path

yes.. that is why i loved unraid.. "set it and forget it"  hehe.. i mean it did what i needed but i know its time to upgrade. just never got it.  Cruiser min is the boot usb.

I do have slower CPU which i did not think would work well on v6 but maybe for basic deployment should be ok..

So what are my options to get from v4.5 to v6?  is it just as simple of getting new software on boot usb drive? whats the path

From that far back, it's quite a bit more than that.  It's all laid out in the Upgrading to UnRAID v6 guide.  Your data is safe, and probably your parity, but everything else will need to be redone.