Looking for specifications for a cheap first build

Unsure if this is the right forum, l noticed a few threads talking about first builds so figured I'd post in here.

I was referred to unRaid via IRC, I'm looking for a new NAS setup and was originally going to just buy something like Synology or similar until they told me to build my own and that the unRaid community usually have great advice :)

I'm in Switzerland and generally use digitec.ch for purchases : https://shop.digitec.ch/en

I'm looking to build something that can be easily put under the bed (current LG NAS N1T1 is under bed, no space anywhere else), is quiet and supports about 4 Tb (might expand in future). Main purpose is I'd use part of the disk space for the media (accessed from the Raspberry Pi on my TV) the rest would be to backup 3 laptops (each are between 128gb - 256gb with most important documents backed up to cloud services already)

I don't care about hot swapping, it seems nice but I guess it would be too expensive. I don't know anything about what type of drives, motherboard, RAM or case that I'd need.

Many thanks in advance

I'm a big fan of UnRAID, but for a tiny "under the bed" system that only needs to support 4TB it's far simpler to just buy a 2-drive Synology box [ https://shop.digitec.ch/en/s1/product/synology-ds214se-network-attached-storage-nas-751844 ] and put a couple of 4TB WD Reds or Purples in it.    That will give you 4TB of protected storage in a RAID-1 and will be as quiet as anything you could build.

I'd also want full access to the box (ssh) and I think Synology systems usually have this without needing to hack the firmware?

It's only under the bed as we're renting a studio but within a year or so we'd move into something larger. However I don't think we'd need more than 4 Tb for the next few years, we generally delete after watching things but keep all our pictures from our phones (probably only 20gb max)

What if I don't use unRaid? And use some other OS? Still I guess for a decent build it'd probably be about the same or more expensive than the Synology?

Any quality micro-ITX case, motherboard, CPU, memory, and power supply is going to cost you more than a basic 2-drive Synology box.  It WILL be more flexible, but it's not likely to fit under the bed.  There's no cost for using UnRAID with the small storage capacity you're looking at -- the free license supports up to 3 drives, so you could start out with a pair of 4TB drives and have 4TB of protected storage;  and double that at any time by adding a 3rd 4TB drive.

I know you can't use Newegg as a supplier, but here's an example of what you could put together for a modest cost if you can find the parts at a reasonable price in your country:

Mini-ITX case with power supply ($45):  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147131

Motherboard ($79):  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132041

CPU ($60):  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116950

Memory ($80):  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820239612

Total of $264, not counting disk drives or a flash drive.    The case will hold 3 disk drives (one each in the 3.5" internal and external bays; and one in the 5.25" external bay); and is short enough it should fit under your bed with no problem.    But this is still more than the Synology I suggested earlier, so you need to decide if you need the added flexibility.

I don't mean to discourage you from using UnRAID => it's an EXCELLENT choice, and has a lot of flexibility you won't get with the packaged systems.    My point is just that with only a 4TB storage requirement and your very tight size requirements you may want to consider the alternatives.

If you want a compact system, this case should be your better choice:

https://shop.digitec.ch/en/s1/product/fractal-node-304-small-form-computer-case-353234

Definitely don't agree, due to the requirement to place it under the bed.    The case I noted above is only 5.1" high -- which will fit under most beds.    While the Fractal Node is an excellent case, it's also appreciably higher (8.27"), and likely won't meet the "under the bed" requirement.  In fact, it's larger in every dimension than the case I listed ...

14.72" x 9.84" x 8.27"

vs

13.00" x 8.70" x 5.10"

If you want a compact system, this case should be your better choice:

https://shop.digitec.ch/en/s1/product/fractal-node-304-small-form-computer-case-353234

Definitely don't agree, due to the requirement to place it under the bed.    The case I noted above is only 5.1" high -- which will fit under most beds.    While the Fractal Node is an excellent case, it's also appreciably higher (8.27"), and likely won't meet the "under the bed" requirement.  In fact, it's larger in every dimension than the case I listed ...

14.72" x 9.84" x 8.27"

vs

13.00" x 8.70" x 5.10"

Good remarks, but if it fit beneath his bed, i would go with the Fractal. The truth is that we don't know how much space does he has. The Fractal Node 304 is only 210mm height, and fit beneath my bed, for an example.

Agree we don't know how high the case can be and still meet the "under the bed" requirement.

But in general when there's a limited space like that, the shorter the better, as it provides more room for ventilation.

As I noted, however, I agree the Fractal is an excellent case -- I've used quite a few Fractal cases in the past couple years for various systems I've built for friends and clients.

One other consideration (if the Rosewill case is available in Switzerland):  the Rosewill case is significantly less expensive than the Fractal and INCLUDES a power supply.    Note sure if price is a factor, but it's something to consider.

Also I should note that I can buy things in England and get them when I fly back to see family, although ideally I'd want the power supply (or at least plug) to be Swiss. I can also buy from France and deliver to a friends (in case they don't deliver to Geneva) and some German sites deliver to Switzerland (amazon.de for example since amazon.ch doesn't exist)

Thanks for the suggestions guys

True, the LG NAS and router are pretty dirty... But it's been over a year like that and they still seem ok?

I could try to find another place for it but would require drilling through some wood that we're not supposed to drill through in the rented apartment (there's one cupboard that has to be kept in the same condition as we moved in).

Would it be better to just get the Synology than? As I guess the fan system is pretty decent?

I can't speak specifically to the Node 304, but my Fractal Define R4 has excellent dust proofing through the built in filters.  I didn't open my desktop for 1 year and it's pristine inside.  In the same environment, my previous Antec Sonata case filled up with a significant and noticeable dust layer plus heatsink clogging fuzz in a similar time period. 

If the Node 304 filters in a similar fashion to the Define R4 you should be in good shape provided you clean the filter periodically to keep air flowing (I didn't clean it for that entire year, and the filter was full of dust...).

• 3 weeks later...