Need garycase's expert advice...

opentoe

Hunting you down garycase! Anyway, I do notice you like hardware and are pretty tuned in to what's out there.

As I've stated before I have 3 iStarUSA 3x5 cages that have been working great....until now. I'm in the middle of a build taking a little break and noticed most of the screws that hold the cages in have been stripped. This is only the second time in like 5 or 6 years I've touched the cases. Since I'm re-building a new box I want to possibly grab 3 new 5x3 cages, but having a hard time deciding if I should get the same ones? I think you pointed out the SuperMicro's before that they were of good quality. I pretty much would like a solid drive cage (trayless or not) that is solid as a tank, has good cooling and can replace the fan with ease. Of course it has to have SATA power connections on it as well, which most do I believe. Just asking for your opinion on this, which ones would you recommend? I've read literally the entire hard drive cage thread, and really wanting to try another brand but would want real world experience of course.

Whatcha think?

I know I'm not garycase, but I recently bought the IStarUSA BPN-DE350-SS http://www.xcase.co.uk/storage-caddy/an-d35-5-drive-trayless-hot-swap-cage-fits-in-3-x-5-25-bays-49-99-x-case.html which is a really nice looking cage, I was a little worried that the performance wouldn't be as good as the Xigmatek 3in3s I was using as they only fit 3 HDDs in 3 bays vs 5 for the DE350s and have a 120mm fan vs 80mm fan for the DE350s.

So I decided to run a create a simple script that checked the drive temps of all drives every 5 minutes and saved them in a database, and ran a parity check on both types and these were the results:

Xigmatek 3in3

WDC WD30EFRX-68EUZN0 - Min: 24C Max: 31C

SAMSUNG HD153WI - Min: 24C Max: 33C

SAMSUNG HD153WI - Min: 22C Max: 33C

SAMSUNG HD103UJ - Min: 19C Max: 31C

SAMSUNG HD103UJ - Min: 19C Max: 30C

SAMSUNG HD153WI - Min: 23C Max: 31C

Maxtor 7V300F0 - Min: 23C Max: 37C

IStarUSA BPN-DE350-SS

WDC WD30EFRX-68EUZN0 - Min: 25C Max: 32C

SAMSUNG HD153WI - Min: 24C Max: 32C

SAMSUNG HD153WI - Min: 23C Max: 32C

SAMSUNG HD103UJ - Min: 20C Max: 29C

SAMSUNG HD103UJ - Min: 21C Max: 30C

SAMSUNG HD153WI - Min: 25C Max: 32C

Maxtor 7V300F0 - Min: 27C Max: 35C

Don't know if that helps at all, but I've been pretty happy with them.

I know I'm not garycase, but I recently bought the IStarUSA BPN-DE350-SS http://www.xcase.co.uk/storage-caddy/an-d35-5-drive-trayless-hot-swap-cage-fits-in-3-x-5-25-bays-49-99-x-case.html which is a really nice looking cage, I was a little worried that the performance wouldn't be as good as the Xigmatek 3in3s I was using as they only fit 3 HDDs in 3 bays vs 5 for the DE350s and have a 120mm fan vs 80mm fan for the DE350s.

So I decided to run a create a simple script that checked the drive temps of all drives every 5 minutes and saved them in a database, and ran a parity check on both types and these were the results:

Xigmatek 3in3

WDC WD30EFRX-68EUZN0 - Min: 24C Max: 31C

SAMSUNG HD153WI - Min: 24C Max: 33C

SAMSUNG HD153WI - Min: 22C Max: 33C

SAMSUNG HD103UJ - Min: 19C Max: 31C

SAMSUNG HD103UJ - Min: 19C Max: 30C

SAMSUNG HD153WI - Min: 23C Max: 31C

Maxtor 7V300F0 - Min: 23C Max: 37C

IStarUSA BPN-DE350-SS

WDC WD30EFRX-68EUZN0 - Min: 25C Max: 32C

SAMSUNG HD153WI - Min: 24C Max: 32C

SAMSUNG HD153WI - Min: 23C Max: 32C

SAMSUNG HD103UJ - Min: 20C Max: 29C

SAMSUNG HD103UJ - Min: 21C Max: 30C

SAMSUNG HD153WI - Min: 25C Max: 32C

Maxtor 7V300F0 - Min: 27C Max: 35C

Don't know if that helps at all, but I've been pretty happy with them.

You aren't gary! Tsk, tsk!

Did you notice on the iStar's if they still use those tiny screws and strip fairly easily because the cage itself is just soft aluminum? I do not want to invest in any cages where this could happen again really. If you do use longer screws the HD try won't slide in! So you are forced to use the real shallow screws which don't catch on that soft aluminum. Did you ever replace the 80MM fans yet? Mine are still running good but replacements may be hard to find. I'd at least want a case where I can just pop off the fan and replace it with a standard fan size.

I'm not gary either but if I were to replace my drive cages now I think I'd go with the trayless ones that are around.  Like the look of them and one less thing I'd need a screwdriver for, not that I'm averse to a bit of screwdriver action.

These are what I like the look of, but at £59.99 each and I'd need three I can't really justify it at the moment.

Only downside is don't know what the equivalent would be in the US for you and haven't seen any reviews on them yet..

I've got a trayless 5.25" ==> 3.5" for my top drive bay and that works well and is super easy to change drives and I use it to put my SSD in which is in one of these 2.5"==3.5" convertors

I'm not gary either but if I were to replace my drive cages now I think I'd go with the trayless ones that are around.  Like the look of them and one less thing I'd need a screwdriver for, not that I'm averse to a bit of screwdriver action.

These are what I like the look of, but at £59.99 each and I'd need three I can't really justify it at the moment.

Only downside is don't know what the equivalent would be in the US for you and haven't seen any reviews on them yet..

I've got a trayless 5.25" ==> 3.5" for my top drive bay and that works well and is super easy to change drives and I use it to put my SSD in which is in one of these 2.5"==3.5" convertors

Those are the exact same ones I was talking about, AN-D35 is the OEM part number for the BPN-DE350-SS, that's even where I bought them from.

@opentoe: I didn't notice them stripping, but I could see how that would be a problem if they did, they are tiny, about the same size as cdro screws, my problem is my case has a bit too big a gap, so I could only fasten them on 1 side, lol

Those are the exact same ones I was talking about, AN-D35 is the OEM part number for the BPN-DE350-SS, that's even where I bought them from.

@opentoe: I didn't notice them stripping, but I could see how that would be a problem if they did, they are tiny, about the same size as cdro screws, my problem is my case has a bit too big a gap, so I could only fasten them on 1 side, lol

Sorry, didn't even notice, that's a useful bit of information about the temps.  Even more tempted now.  I was a bit worried as my current drive cages take bigger fans than these so temp control was a concern of mine.

Was a concern to me as well, which was why I made sure I ran some tests on them, but have been happy with them so far, they may run a bit warmer idle than the old ones, but not sure if that is just due to the ambient temperature being higher, and in any case we aren't talking about them running hot.

Afraid I can't be of much help here ... the comments already provided pretty much cover it.    I've personally used Icy Docks, SuperMicro, and iStar 5-in-3's, and was most impressed with the SuperMicro's, but these were not trayless cages ... and I agree the newer trayless units are worth a look.

BINGO. This is exactly what happens and what strips the holes. Since the HD cage is quite heavy when full and you can only screw in one side it is bound to happen. Unfortunately right now I have my drive cages just sitting on top of one another. Nothing attaching them to the case right now besides something I rigged up so they won't just slide out. I have a new Antec 1200 case something, so I'd like to start off with new cages but I have a feeling there's no real way to avoid the threads stripping out so easily. If I could, I would use some 3m VHB tape to tape the suckers in. If I even purchase new cages I'll need to look closely on how they mount. I would assume they all mount the same way and all are made out of cheap aluminum and all use tiny little screws with the threads really close together so they strip easily. Bummer.

EDIT: I'll have to change my mind on iStarUSA's. Easily stripped screws, non-standard fan (who does anymore?), even the fan connector is non-standard. And their support. I actually gave them a call the other day indicating I had a problem with all the screws being stripped out of the install holes and also asked about getting replacement fans from them. They said, "We can't help you on the stripped screw holes and don't have replacement fans available so you will need buy more enclosures". And they sent me a link to their new trayless cage that is $122 on Newegg. The cages have been good, but I don't think I'll be supporting that company anymore with purchases.

That's awful customer support, put me right off them as well.  Perhaps you should point them to this thread and show them the error of their ways.

To be honest, stripped screws or not, non-standard fans would put me right off, first thing I did when I bought my last enclosures was replace the fans with some noctuas.

That's awful customer support, put me right off them as well.  Perhaps you should point them to this thread and show them the error of their ways.

To be honest, stripped screws or not, non-standard fans would put me right off, first thing I did when I bought my last enclosures was replace the fans with some noctuas.

This is why I won't buy iStar's anymore. I own over 25 Noctua iPPC Industrial 120mm fans that cool my bitcoin miners and they are amazing. So of course I ended up with the Noctua NH-D15 CPU cooler. I just installed the 2nd 150mm fan. I never saw and used such a good CPU cooler in all my years.

This is why I won't buy iStar's anymore. I own over 25 Noctua iPPC Industrial 120mm fans that cool my bitcoin miners and they are amazing. So of course I ended up with the Noctua NH-D15 CPU cooler. I just installed the 2nd 150mm fan. I never saw and used such a good CPU cooler in all my years.

I've got the same cooler in my unRAID box, I agree but the bloody thing is so big it blocks the top PCIe slot!  :o

Back on topic => I agree the tiny strippable screws are not a good design.  I haven't had that issue with either Icy Docks or SuperMicro cages.    But as I noted earlier, I've not used any of the newer trayless units, so I don't know if they have that issue or not.

Except for chassis with built-in hot-swap cages (e.g. the Lian-Li Q25B)  or drive slides that can be converted to hot-swap [Lian-Li cases that accept the BP1SATA, BP2SATA, or BP3SATA adapters, I've pretty much moved away from using hot-swap cages.    I've been using the excellent CoolerMaster 4-in-3 (non-hot-swap) cages because of their superb cooling (front mounted 120mm fan) ... but these are apparently no longer available.

If I was buying today, I'd probably try the Icy Dock Black Vortex 4-in-3 hot-swap unit, which is also designed with a front-mounted 120mm fan.  [ http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA24G3435094&cm_re=5-in-3_cages-_-17-994-171-_-Product ]

The NH-D15 is about as good as it gets for air cooling => although I admit that if I wanted that level of cooling for a CPU I'd almost certainly go with liquid cooling.

It gives water cooling a good running. I've researched heavily before I bought this cooler and was my best option. I had some water cooled bitcoin miners in the past and I couldn't wait to sell them. I hated anything to do with water cooling. Giant radiator almost the size of my car, pipes, hoses, connections, I think that just left a bad taste in my mouth. Ran Prime95 and over an hour and my processor temp maxxed out at 60c. I doubt I'll ever do anything on that machine that would use all cores at %90 for over an hour.

I've got the same cooler in my unRAID box, I agree but the bloody thing is so big it blocks the top PCIe slot!  :o

You can mount it either way. If I mounted it one way, it would also cover the first PCI slot, but I turned it 90 degrees and mounted it that way. So I can use my PCI slot for my video card now and I have both fans installed. I also mounted both fans and the beauty design of cooler is the fans can be moved up a little if they need to be and can attach anywhere on the heatsinks. I'll snap a picture of it later. And this is all in a tight mid-tower case.

The NH-D15 is about as good as it gets for air cooling => although I admit that if I wanted that level of cooling for a CPU I'd almost certainly go with liquid cooling.

It gives water cooling a good running. I've researched heavily before I bought this cooler and was my best option. I had some water cooled bitcoin miners in the past and I couldn't wait to sell them. I hated anything to do with water cooling. Giant radiator almost the size of my car, pipes, hoses, connections, I think that just left a bad taste in my mouth. Ran Prime95 and over an hour and my processor temp maxxed out at 60c. I doubt I'll ever do anything on that machine that would use all cores at %90 for over an hour.

Agree --  it's absolutely "good enough".    Liquid cooling (not actually water in the better units)  is really for dedicated over-clockers who can't wait to squeeze the last possible bit of performance out of a chip they're running well above specifications.  [i do NOT overclock at all, so I'm quite happy with air cooling  :) ]

I haven't built the system yet, but I have purchased 2 BPN-DE350s and have swapped out the fans for Noctua NF-A8 ULN's. Had to ditch the plastic fan cover from the BPN-DE350 and install a foam gasket to get the fan to seal on the enclosure, but it seems like it will work well. I'm planning to just plug the fans into the motherboard, so the non standard fan plug doesn't matter.

I didn't even want to mess around with the stock fans and having to pull it all apart when I find that they are too loud. Noctua's can't be beat as far as I'm concerned.

Although, like I said, I haven't built this system yet...so it could all be a big disaster...

I haven't built the system yet, but I have purchased 2 BPN-DE350s and have swapped out the fans for Noctua NF-A8 ULN's. Had to ditch the plastic fan cover from the BPN-DE350 and install a foam gasket to get the fan to seal on the enclosure, but it seems like it will work well. I'm planning to just plug the fans into the motherboard, so the non standard fan plug doesn't matter.

I didn't even want to mess around with the stock fans and having to pull it all apart when I find that they are too loud. Noctua's can't be beat as far as I'm concerned.

Although, like I said, I haven't built this system yet...so it could all be a big disaster...

This is exactly what I don't want to do. Spend $100 on a cage then take it apart and replace parts on it soon as I get it. Not that I can't do it, just don't want to.