Try a new forum software? Like discourse?

We all love our SMF and PHPBB, but they have years of mileage on them and haven't changed their original format for over 10 years I would imagine. The old saying, if it works don't mess with it, but things are changing. Is there a way you could run Discourse (www.discourse.org) in parallel with this forum so we can try it out? If you guys have a VPS, it would probably be pretty easy. I may install it on my VPS just to check it out.

They now have a DOCKER for discourse. I'd love to try it out right on my unraid box but it needs to be converted to unraid format, right?

• Like 1

They now have a DOCKER for discourse. I'd love to try it out right on my unraid box but it needs to be converted to unraid format, right?

As far as I know you should just be able to run any Docker container as long as you are prepared to start/stop/configure it from the command line.  That is part of the 'magic' of docker.

Making a Docker container unRAID friendly involves developing the  XML template to go with it so that it can be managed via the GUI.  The other thing that most Docker containers that specifically target unRAID share is common base images which keeps the size of the docker image file down.

As itimpi said, just about any docker container can be used with unRaid.  The only thing specific per se to unRaid is an xml template.  You can create one yourself by filling out all of the appropriate information in the add container section of dockerMan, or you can use this plugin http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=38879.0 to try and scrape the information required for a template off of dockerHub and create a template for you.

As itimpi said, just about any docker container can be used with unRaid.  The only thing specific per se to unRaid is an xml template.  You can create one yourself by filling out all of the appropriate information in the add container section of dockerMan, or you can use this plugin http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=38879.0 to try and scrape the information required for a template off of dockerHub and create a template for you.

The power of dockers. Dockers is so new to me, not sure if I want to start running them from the command line or doing it on my production server. I may piece meal something together as a test box and not care if I screw that one up. Best way to learn.

SMF works fine IMO and it's free.  It does what it's supposed to do and there are plenty of add ons that can mimic what Xenforo does.

This forum runs a bog standard default theme which is pretty bland.  If you want more eye candy you just have to get someone to design it based on a template and load it and test it.  Some of you budding web designers could probably do it in your sleep.

Here's a coffee forum I'm an admin on, coffeeforum.org.au which runs on SMF.  The theme was based on a template but customised by one of our team.  Turned out nice and when we moved to a new server we cleared out all the plugins and put a lot of security measures in place to help admin/mods keep control of the spammers. :)

• 3 years later...

+1 Discourse.

Wasn't sure if I liked it at first, but their search engine is a beast compared to the current incarnation of Invision, but that's simply MHO. Also, I like that Discourse gives you a summary button that condenses the entire thread for you and has a link box with all of the links shared in a thread. Annnd when creating a new thread, Discourse displays relevant threads in an effort to reduce redundant posts.

#wishfulthinking #undia