[Feature Request] push additional docker template info to users

This feature request is to automatically push any additional Docker template configuration when there is a change from template author, this would greatly help developers to minimize support issues when there is missing configuration from the users configured "my templates".

Please note the recommendation for this it to ONLY APPEND additional configuration, not to modify any already defined data, an exception to this could be the description field, which can be safely modified.

Here is the original thread text from conversation with jonp regards this:-

perfect!, cheers jonp!, and def like your suggestion too of updating container info for existing user containers when the docker template changes, this would of helped me out a few times in the past, as i added additional env vars and then had to talk users through manually adding it in.

So what should happen if a change you make to the master template conflicts with a user defined template setting?

i think it should only add an entry if it doesnt exist, if there is a conflict it should skip, best not to annoy the end user by modifying an entry in the container, otherwise say you changed the placeholder text for the host path for the volume mapping to "please define me", and then pushed the change, in this scenario it would overwrite the existing host path and blow up the perfectly working container.

Can you put that in a feature request on the roadmap forum for me?  I will make sure it gets attention.

+1

I believe this used to work a while back, but now it is very hard to get any changes to go through with updates.

If I add any additional environment variables or change the webui url, the user pretty much has to remove the container, and then reinstall from the "community repositories". Otherwise it becomes a mess.

And changing the template logo requires a reboot of the server.

It would be great if dockerman recognized the changes to the templates and updated the new fields without changing user modified variables.

It would also be nice if dockerman automatically displayed the advanced fields that need user input. For some of my templates, I require the user to enter environment variables. In the templates I leave fields blank so the user cannot install without filling those in, but without opening the advanced view, they don't even realize what they are missing. Once you open the advanced view, you can see the pop up bubble saying you have to enter something into this field, but nothing happens in the simple view

It would also be nice if dockerman automatically displayed the advanced fields that need user input. For some of my templates, I require the user to enter environment variables. In the templates I leave fields blank so the user cannot install without filling those in, but without opening the advanced view, they don't even realize what they are missing. Once you open the advanced view, you can see the pop up bubble saying you have to enter something into this field, but nothing happens in the simple view

+1, maybe best to keep this as a separate request though so it doesnt get lost in the chatter. i think a simple "if the docker template has any env variables defined then always default to advanced view" should do it, wouldn't you agree?.