$90 Xeon E5-2670 2.6Ghz (8cores / 16threads)

Would these two current parts of mine work with it?

PowerSupply - CORSAIR CXM series CX600M 600W ATX12V v2.3 SLI CrossFire 80

Case - COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP

Case probably not but you could try. Doesn't say it supports e-atx.

Power is fine but it only has one cpu power so you'd have to get an adapter.

Anyone wth the S2600CP2J install a GPU yet? This is the one thing I'm trying to figure out before making the purchase. Ideally this is my game streaming station and it needs a decent GPU to do that.

Yeah, I have two s2600cp2j's each with (2) gt730's (for VMs), and a third s2600cp2j with (1) gtx1080 (win 10 on bare metal).

nice so using the gt730's for gaming vm's?

I'm wondering if you plan to virtualize your third s2600cp2j with the gtx1080 with unraid my setup goal would be to run possibly two gtx1080's in sli (if possible) for a virtal editing box with adobe premiere

how much did your s2600cp2j's run you?

Anyone wth the S2600CP2J install a GPU yet? This is the one thing I'm trying to figure out before making the purchase. Ideally this is my game streaming station and it needs a decent GPU to do that.

Yeah, I have two s2600cp2j's each with (2) gt730's (for VMs), and a third s2600cp2j with (1) gtx1080 (win 10 on bare metal).

nice so using the gt730's for gaming vm's?

I'm wondering if you plan to virtualize your third s2600cp2j with the gtx1080 with unraid my setup goal would be to run possibly two gtx1080's in sli (if possible) for a virtal editing box with adobe premiere

how much did your s2600cp2j's run you?

I'm mainly using the gt730's for VM GPU passthrough.  I had dicked around with 4 vm's (each using a gt730) with X-Plane 10 (flight sim), all networked to cooperate with a master system to slave cockpit views etc.  It was fun; I was using a MacOS vm as the master, a win10 vm as a slave, and two other linux vm's as slaves (all on the first two dual e5-2670 boxes; before I built the third).  Now I'm only using the 3rd system with the gtx 1080 on bare metal win10 with a head tracker, so I don't really need the other networked systems for views...  I do have unraid license for the third system, and I've done some simple benchmarks between bare metal and vm with the gtx1080, and as that system will only be used for 'gaming' (sims), I'll most likely leave it bare metal/win10 (not going to keep it powered up when not using it unlike the first two unraid vm hosts).

Concerning the cost of the s2600cp2j's, they were all from natex, so $175 ea.

Also how loud is this system with the fans below?

2 x Noctua NH-D9DX i4 3U

I have Noctua i4s -- not certain if they are D9DX as when I check my posts in this topic I just refer to them as i4s

Assuming they are the same fans I can't hear them. In addition to the two Noctuas I've added three fans to the top of the case, one or two bottom fans, a back fan and a front fan, plus my graphics card has a fan and just yesterday I was switching out a USB card and had to specifically listen to hear if the machine was on -- the desktop I'm using right now makes more noise.

If they are the same fans you need to clip them a little high because they touch the ram. If you go back to around March I posted pictures in this topic.

Sorry if this is a repost, I haven't kept up with all the posts in this thread, but for anyone who bought the ASRock EP2C602-4L/D16 motherboard and are having IPMI video display issues, keep reading!

When I first got this board, my IPMI video worked great. I could click on the launch button, agree to the java applets, and all was good... A few months ago, the video stopped launching. Java applet would pop up, but then it would just fail.

I finally figured out what happened. After installing a video card in preparation for building VMs, the bios defaulted to booting from it first (or maybe I switched it?... Something I would do as it's what I usually do if I install a dedicated video card...). Because of this, the IPMI video stopped working. This past weekend I switched the boot order in bios to on-board vga first, and the IPMI video started working again!  ;D

Honestly, maybe this is even documented in the manual, I never looked it up. It was more of an irritant than a show stopper so it wasn't worth too much effort.

Hope this saves someone some aggravation :).

Hello all, my Lian Li PC-D600WB case finally came in and I have completed my build, named Shogun. It is posted on both PC part picker and here.

Cheers.

https://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=52390.0

My wallet hurts just looking at it.  I was hoping you got the water cooling going so you could spend more on the cooler than the cpu:)

Yeah those H80is are a lot larger than the older version I have in my main rig. But in the end it's better as this is a 24/7 server. Water cooling with AIO may not have been the best option. Cool but ultimately going with air cooled is a better choice. I will use the H80is in another build to come. {hint}

cheers!

I'd appreciate recommendations on the best silent case for a Dual Quad-Core Xeon system using a Supermicro X9DRI-F Extended ATX workstation motherboard. These are 12"x13". I'd like to have case with minimum of 8 Hot Swap HDD Trays. Silent performance, proper cooling and quality are key. I'm really looking for something very quiet. I understand this is a tall order. See my signature for parts that I am planning to install. Thanks in advance.

The P4000 chassis for the S2600 motherboards is fussy about UPS power.  My APC Backup UPS Pro 1300 units don't seem to ouput the kind of power they like.  This results in the server instantly turning into a screaming demon if the power goes out.  The fans all go to high speed and the power consumption of the server jumps from 75W to 300W.  Thankfully this rarely happens, but if it does, the run time on battery UPS is severely restricted. 

I just just installed a Cyberpower CP1500PFCLCD - PFC Sinewave UPS Systems - Pure Sine Wave | 100% Active PFC

I can confirm that the P4000 chassis likes this power much better when on battery, and continues to purr like it does from line power.  It continues to run quietly with low power consumption.

Sort of curious, why that case and not the Lian Li PC-D8000?

Hello good question, I was not really interested in another "Black Box"  I always get asked about the server when company is over, and they always want to see it for some reason. The Norco 4220 I had, although a great case, is boring. Just another 4U rack-mount. Comments like "that's it?" follow the server tour and kill the cool tech vibe.

Shogun will be in my formal living room as "conversation piece." So I built something to suit my tastes as well as honor my wife's culture and in an odd way my Aikido background. With regard to the 8000, no windows, a few 5.25's I won't use. Just a plain black box IMHO. I'm in IT so I see "boxes" all the time. Like the Norco 4220 they are boring. Functional yes, but boring.

Shogun like my gaming rig Noir is an outlet for me to build something cool. I tend to overbuild for my needs and I don't think PC's/servers need to only be use-case specific but in a way can be considered art. It's functional and over the top at the same time. I kind of think like custom car builders doing stuff they don't need to but do it anyway. Very expensive BITFENIX cable set and only using 6 comes to mind. But I know the detail is there.

I looked at the 8000 but it was just a box. I also almost bought the D66* but thought what the hell. Literally. That and I wanted blue.

I like blue and wanted the blue Riing drives visible, I also wanted the blue drive cages so no opening up the side to change drives. 8000 has all internal. Honestly I kind of wanted to build a server that was functional and cool to look at in a very specific visible theme. Black Blue, Window, Riing fans, HD Cages.

The 8000 just didn't fit the bill... for this particular build.  ;)

Having an issue trying to add a GPU to the s2600cp.

Nvidia GTX 1060 3GB. Placing it in the bottom blue slot (slot 3) and the LSI raid card is in slot 5.

Without the GPU works perfectly. With the GPU it stays stuck on the first bios screen with the BIOS number and server board name and the flashing bar in the bottom left.

GPU fans spin up for a second then turn off. No beeps or other alerts. Keyboard lights up, raid card has lights etc.

Any ideas?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well after posting a new thread on CPU/Mobo forum looking at a e5 v4 proc and motherboard I find this thread and realize the savings are more than substantial by going a dual e5-2670 route.

I'm looking at the natex combo with the intel mobo and wondering for those who are running it are you still happy with the motherboard?  I'm not planning on any GPU passthrough or even VM's at this point. But for 308.00 for the combo with mobo (I have tons of pulled DDR3-1600 PC3L-12800R from legacy systems) it seems like an absolute NO brainer!

Using a Norco 4220 and the cooling would be my only sticking point (in addition to the PS requirements of the finicky board but I have a couple different models lying around Corsair 850 etc that I hope might work). 

People that went the Intel S2600 route still happy with it?  Did you have to make modifications for cooling?  Otherwise I'm looking at the Supermicro or ASRock option and those are more than the combo price alone!

Well after posting a new thread on CPU/Mobo forum looking at a e5 v4 proc and motherboard I find this thread and realize the savings are more than substantial by going a dual e5-2670 route.

I'm looking at the natex combo with the intel mobo and wondering for those who are running it are you still happy with the motherboard?  I'm not planning on any GPU passthrough or even VM's at this point. But for 308.00 for the combo with mobo (I have tons of pulled DDR3-1600 PC3L-12800R from legacy systems) it seems like an absolute NO brainer!

Using a Norco 4220 and the cooling would be my only sticking point (in addition to the PS requirements of the finicky board but I have a couple different models lying around Corsair 850 etc that I hope might work). 

People that went the Intel S2600 route still happy with it?  Did you have to make modifications for cooling?  Otherwise I'm looking at the Supermicro or ASRock option and those are more than the combo price alone!

This may be my first post on the Unraid forums, but I have been reading and using for years.  I am on my second Unraid system built from tips on the "Good Deal's" forum.  My current rig is a Natex S2600 dual Xeon with 128 gig with the Intel case/power supply/cooler and drive cages talked about here.  I built it about 8 months ago, originally planned on trying to run it as a Hackintosh server.

That didn't work so well, so I put Windows 10 on it, but was never happy with it, so went back to trying to get OSX on it again.  After wasting a bunch of time on that, I tried a demo of Unraid 6 on it, liked that so much that I moved all of my media off my old Unraid 5 server, and restarted the S2600 as a new Unraid 6 (using my purchased Key) server.  Moved all my media, and have totally loved everything since then.  I am learning about dockers and virtual machines, and when I mess something up, I can just delete the experimental thing and nobody knows about it.  That is the coolest thing about the dockers and VMs.  There is enough horsepower that I can spin up a test docker or VM and it does not affect the "production" Plex server. 

If I have it transcode, the fans will spin up high, but my CPU coolers are passive, so that is pretty much expected.  I may try to replace the large Intel fans with Noctua fans to see if there is a difference. 

Chef Jay