5TB WD Elements Drive for $129.99

I got one from B&H about 3 weeks ago, and it had a Green drive inside. But that drive does have one year warranty directly without needing to try and stuff it back into the USB cage (I checked the serial number on their waranty check site). I think it's a good deal. Excellent shipping options to Canada too.

I got one from B&H about 3 weeks ago, and it had a Green drive inside. But that drive does have one year warranty directly without needing to try and stuff it back into the USB cage (I checked the serial number on their waranty check site). I think it's a good deal. Excellent shipping options to Canada too.

was it a 4TB or a 5TB? I only ask because the 4TB ones are confirmed greens, where as the 5TB ones seem to be Reds (based on Slickdeals and Amazon reviews), just wondering.

what it a 4TB or a 5TB? I only ask because the 4TB ones are confirmed greens, where as the 5TB ones seem to be Reds (based on Slickdeals and Amazon reviews), just wondering.

The one I got was the 5TB elements, same price, same product you have linked to. Green drive. Doesn't make a difference anyways, I highly doubt the folks who received red drives got the extended warranty so you are left with just the color of the label and the Idle3 head parking timeout setting. See my post in the forum for how to change that setting in UnRAID, BTW.

so.. never bought an external before for my unraid server.

Can i just open the case, preclear the drive, and install it as any other drive? anything else to make it work?

and this is prob a 5400 drive. i currently have a 2TB 7200 parity drive. is dropping to 5400 going to be significant?

Can i just open the case, preclear the drive, and install it as any other drive? anything else to make it work?

and this is prob a 5400 drive. i currently have a 2TB 7200 parity drive. is dropping to 5400 going to be significant?

With the USB3 drives, it's worth doing the preclear before removing that case. Makes all that return stuff very easy.

If performance is important to you, you should focus on actual sustained read and write speeds. This one is pretty quick, more than 100MB/s on the inner tracks. It may actually be faster than your 7200rpm 2TB drive, or at least very close to it.

You can preclear it while in the enclosure, just hook the USB cable up to your UnRAID server. It won't be able to read a SMART report, but you will be able to see if it preclears. Then just open and discard the case. It's Usually pretty straight forward. There seems to be some problems with Seagate externals though, so read up on that topic before considering a Seagate, or just stick to WD for now.

With the USB3 drives, it's worth doing the preclear before removing that case. Makes all that return stuff very easy.

good point. i didnt think about that.

i actually need an external to bring my media with me (ill be away for 4 months and dont want to stream from home all of the time). so, ill be using it heavily and then will clear it and donate it to my server once i am home.